Is this a GOOD DEAL? (pictures)

butteco

Seaman
Okay so I missed out on that last boat and am still looking on a boat to buy for this upcoming summer. <br /><br />I am still unsure whether it is better to buy a outboard or inboard, but the more I search, the more an inboard seems nicer. <br /><br />I originally wanted one of those "low profile" outboard speed boats, like a tahiti etc... But the more I looked at those, they just don't look practical for wakeboarding; even though people call them "ski boats" I tend to see those as pleasure/speed boats. <br /><br />I primarily am looking for a boat that is fun to speed around the lake on but can also pull a wakeboard comfortably. <br /><br />The more I research the more it seems a bowrider would be more of what I would want? <br /><br />I found this 16' bowrider that looks to just need an interior. It has an OMC I/O (is that a motor to stay away from?). It is on e-bay but only 1hr away from me. Does this look like a good boat? AND CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE MAKE/MODEL OF THIS BOAT? (owner says it is a reinell but the title says unknown). <br /><br />I woulnd't pay more than $1800-2000 for it... <br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...&rd=1&item=4549323392&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Is this a GOOD DEAL? (pictures)

You should look for a Glastron Carlson CV-16 or one of the other similar hulls. Mine is great for speeding around the lake in at 50mph and could rip a skier's arms off if his feet were anchored. :D Mine was only $2500....I often see them for around $2000.<br /><br />
boatinwater2.jpg

phatmanmike

Captain

you will not have good luck with an omc inboard finding parts, service , repairs, whatever.<br /><br />skip it and move on.<br /><br />by the way, why would you rather have an inboard vs. an outboard in a small sport boat?<br /><br />is it the extra weight, the additional parts to break, or all that extra room they take up that sounds so attractive?

butteco

Seaman

"by the way, why would you rather have an inboard vs. an outboard in a small sport boat"<br /><br />I was just under the impression that the inboard is better for pulling a skier/wakeboard? Is this not true? <br /><br />That glasstron is nice. I was actually looking at a 17.5' Carlson Mod. Tunnel (not glasstron-carlson) but it is an ugly maroon color and has an old 100hp merc outboard on it with low compression on 1 cylinder and a fuel leaks out the carbs!!! <br /><br />Are those low profile ski boats really better for all around use than a inboard?

QC

Supreme Mariner

They call those Tahiti's ski boats because they have nice little wakes for skiing even though they are not tournament boats.<br /><br />IMHO, the difference between ZmOz's boat and the one you showed from Ebay is like night and day. On a river, his boat will feel real solid and very easy to learn with, but lively too. Even the 4 cylinder I/Os are fun in a boat like that and the Tahiti. You would get tired of that other boat real fast. It won't ride as well, won't handle as well and would pound. It might be drier, that's the only thing I can say for it. Neither of them is going to throw a big wake for wakeboarding. You could probably get a decent sized wake with tabs and/or a Phat Bag, but the idea of running around with a bunch of water in my boat just doesn't sit right . . .<br /><br />ZmOz, I love your boat. I had a similar 17' minus the windshield for my first boat. Brother in-law still has it. Handles rough water better than a lot of 20 footers and is so fun lightly loaded. 140 Stringer though, he still buys tilt motors.

butteco

Seaman

OKAY I PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN TODAY ON A BOAT THAT POPPED UP IN THE LOCAL PAPER!<br /><br />It is a 17' Sundance Speed/Ski boat with the low profile hull. IT only has an 85hp Evinrude but the COMPRESSION IS 140,140,145,145. Was a little hard to start cold but fired right up afterwards. <br /><br />It is blue/silver metal flake with a new interior. IT HAS A TOW POLE IN THE BACK (although it is just 3-4' high - but way better than that crappy floater thing that goes around the motor). <br /><br />Guy was asking $2200 for it - but I talked him down to $2000 & he is throwing in lifejackets a wakeboard, knee-board, skis and some tow ropes. <br /><br />I think the motor is a 1975 but it sounds good. <br /><br />IT DOESN'T HAVE A PISSER("tell tale") THOUGH? Shouldn't the motor have a "tell tale"?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Since we've seen all of your options so far.... please don't forget to show us some pics of the boat you've finally selected. Sounds like fun.<br /><br />As for a 'tell tale'.... most old evinrude only expelled the water with the exhaust. Can't say for certain with your model, but if you don't see a telltale I'd bet you will (should) see water spray out the upper exhaust port.

reka12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let us know how it worked out! Sounds like a really fun setup...

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool. Can't wait to get a peek . . .

butteco

Seaman

I will snap some photos for you all this next week (probably on friday.)<br /><br />I was just doing some research and I think that it might even be a 1996 or newer hull. Sundance boats apparently started making boats in 1996? Unless they were made under a different manufacturer in years past...

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cool. Can't wait to get a peek . . .

CATransplant

Admiral

Hey, good deal. I'm glad you finally got your boat. Now the fun really begins. We'll watch for your future messages as you start working on it.<br /><br />Post those photos.