Is this a decent price (cross posted in Chap forum)

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

I am new to the forum. My wife and I are shopping for a boat and I have begun to get the first round of offers from a couple local dealers. We just went to the local boat show and talked to a couple delaers to get a cursory 'feel' for them and thier establishment. One of the local guys sent us the following offer. The boat has more than I requested, but it is one the showroom floor. What do you think of this price?

'07 Chaparral 210SSI
- Volvo Penta 5.0 GLSX 220h.p.
- Captains pedestal drivers seat
- Snap-in carpet
- Galvanized anchor
- Swim platform
- Convenience pkg.(com.,depth,trans.tilt&stereo remote)
- Cockpit & Bow cover (blue)
- Premium pkg. (dock. lights,flush mount cleats, S.S. bow scuff plate, S.S. cupholders)
- Wide Band Gel Coat- Blue
- Magic Tilt Aluminum T/A trailer w/ brakes
- Coast Guard Kit
- 2 + 4 Volvo Extended Warranty
- All Taxes & Fees included
$33,900 out the door

Do I have a little more room to bargain, I would really like another $1000 off this price (He stated the MSRP for this package was $42,995). I understand they need to make some money and I don't want to be too stingy as I will be taking the boat back to these guys for maintenance and repairs.

Thanks for any input to a Chap newbee.

Jon

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is this a decent price (cross posted in Chap forum)

That may be a decent price. Be aware that prices, even on the same boat, do vary from one part of the country to another. So only you can really answer that question, after you've had a chance to study prices from your competing dealers. Here are some threads that are from prior years. But they may still give you a better feel for how big a discount to expect -

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=62802

http://www.boatingabc.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=1&Number=94286

Kelly Cook

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are financing it be sure to shop around for rates. When the dealer asks you about financing tell him what the best rate you got was. They will try their best to match it because they get $$ from the bank that provides the loan. You can also negotiate for a lower price if you use their financing. Just crunch the numbers to makesure the total cost works out the same. If you use State Farm they have pretty good rates and terms on Boat loans.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

I have had State Farm for years. I was going to call them about boat insurance, I will also ask about rates. We have Navy Fed. C.U. and they have already told me a rate of 5.9% at 5 years or 6.75% at 10 years. I will try to get the dealer to match the rates and knock a little off since he is getting a kick back on financing.

Kcook - Thanks for the links, I will read up on these.

What do a trailer typical run for a 22' boat?

Thanks,

Jon

SkeeterBro

Cadet

Hey Jon,

From one newbee to another, It look's like you have a pretty good deal on this boat! I don't carry Chaparral, but a dealer in town dose. From the prices I am used to seeing from them, you are getting a nice deal. But at the same time, if he has an 07 in the showroom. He want's to make it go away pretty bad! I'd offer him 32,500.00 drive out.

mattttt25

Commander

You won't beat NFCU's rates (unless you're a USAA member). Find the best rate you can and then call NFCU. They will almost always beat it by 1/8 point.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i'd buy a 2 year old for $20-24,000.

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

- Magic Tilt Aluminum T/A trailer w/ brakes ... Jon
Considering that the '08 boats will hit the show room floor shortly, this may well be a good deal. I have no idea about "new" boat prices. However, not to call your dealer a crook but, there are a couple of threads where about a miss match of boat and trailer from the dealer(s). Basically dumping the wrong trailer on the buyer to move showroom stock out. Then when things are not right each blames the other. Prior to making the commitment to go through with the deal, make certain that the the trailer you are getting is the correct match for your boat. eMail Magictilt.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

Well, my wife and I went by and looked at the boat. I was so excited and then I noticed it did not have the sport bench seat in the rear. This is a deal breaker for us and we let eh dealer know it. I asked him to price an equivalent 08 model (he had an 08 on the floor) and he came back $4.5K higher. I guess I need to keep working on him.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I have a little update. I wne to see the boat they were offering and there was an issue. I misread the dealer's email. He said captain's chair (singular) and I thought it said captain's chairs (plural) therefore the boat had the split rear seats and not the sport bench. That was a deal breaker for my wife. I told him we liked the boat except for that and he knock another 2K off to try to get up to bite. My wife really wants the bench, so I sadi no, but asked what he could do for a 2008. Here is what he is now offering - Noticed I bumped the engine size up.

'08 Chaparral 210SSI
- Volvo Penta 5.0 GLSX 270h.p.
- Captains pedestal drivers and passanger seat
- sport bench seating
- Snap-in carpet
- Galvanized anchor
- Swim platform
- Convenience pkg.(com.,depth,trans.tilt&stereo remote)
- Cockpit & Bow cover (blue)
- Premium pkg. (dock. lights,flush mount cleats, S.S. bow scuff plate, S.S. cupholders)
- Wide Band Gel Coat- Blue
- Coast Guard Kit
- 2 + 4 Volvo Extended Warranty
- All Taxes & Fees included
- Free winterization and storage until spring

I omitted the trailer since I am going to be docking it at the marina
$33,000 out the door

Do you think I still have a little room? This is same boat they have on the showroom for and the other day the best the guy could do was $34,750.

Thanks,

Jon

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did it come with a trailer before? The trailer is probably around $1750. Keep in mind that the trailer will help with resale in the future (it is harder to sell a boat if you have to stay local) as well as getting the boat to the dealer for warranty repairs (If the dealer is not waterfront).

180shabah

Rear Admiral

....as well as getting the boat to the dealer for warranty repairs (If the dealer is not waterfront).

It may help even if the dealer is waterfront. The boat may not be running. It also maks storage easier.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

It may help even if the dealer is waterfront. The boat may not be running. It also maks storage easier.

Good point. Also, what do you do when you want to take it to a new lake for a weekend, or if you decide you do not like the service you are getting at your marina. Finally, gas is $2.75 per gallon at the gas station 2 miles from where my boat is dry docked. It is $3.79 at the marina..................

Apathetic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did it come with a trailer before? The trailer is probably around $1750. Keep in mind that the trailer will help with resale in the future (it is harder to sell a boat if you have to stay local) as well as getting the boat to the dealer for warranty repairs (If the dealer is not waterfront).

I absolutely agree with the bold part. That was one of the most important things while searching for my current 34' that I hope will be officially bought this week.

Jdubb16

Seaman Apprentice

My dealer is on the water (on the Intercoastal Waterway) and is also where I plan on dry docking the boat. If I want to take it to the lake, they will rent me a trailer for a week.

The first boat was an 07 with trailer but also with the 220 HP, carb engine. This is an 08 with the 270 HP Fuel Injected engine. It also has the Bimini top added to it.

The trailer that comes with the boat is $3000. I can look for a used trailer later on, however, I have no where to store the trailer or boat at my house due to City restrictions on boat storage.

SkeeterBro

Cadet

I'd highly suggest buying the trailer! It's not as eaisy to find a used trailer that will fit you'r boat as you might think. And you will end up paying ALOT more for fuel if you are stuck using the marina.

While you are negotiating price, don't forget that you will be needing this dealer for service!