Is This A Carb Problem???

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Year before last I rebuilt my '83 Johnny 115. Last year I took it out in February and it would not come up to plane. Got up to about 10 mph fairly smoothly, and then stays there.

Due to extremely high gas prices last year, that was my one and only trip to the lake.

I was told it was a carb issue (clogged) so I took the carb off and blew all the little ports with compressed air, etc. a few months ago. A couple weeks ago I bought a can of Sea Foam and ran the whole thing through while on the muffs.

Boat still cranks up fine, idles a little rough, but not super rough. I took it out this last weekend and the boat still won't come up to plane. Exactly like the one time I took it out last year.

Is this a clogged carb? If so, what is my next step? I would love to get that baby running again - takes a long time from one fishing hole to the other at 10mph!

Thanks,
SM

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is This A Carb Problem???

I should note that I did not remove nor soak any parts- just compressed air followed by a can of seafoam.

Thanks,
Sm

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I read your post from last year. I didn't see where the compression or spark was checked previously. That's where to start.
I always soak my carbs and get a carb kit for a re-build, but that's just me. I don't like to do them twice.

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compression is great on all cylinders - new pistons, rings, and overbored heads.

Spark I did not check.

SM

coolguy147

Commander

migth be that ur neeldes arnt adjusted the right way.

and see if it helps to run the motor cover off

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Try pumping your fuel bulb...see if that increases rpms...if so, it likely points to a fuel pump issue. Also, you might have some debris in the fuel line.

MAS

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Compression is great on all cylinders - new pistons, rings, and overbored heads."

check spark, if good on all 4. do the carbs correctly. i just did those carbs, in 3 hours. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=244013 i almost did not do these carb because the looked clean, until i removed the high speed jets. i could see light thru them, but they were 3/4 clogged.

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Daddy! I will do it this evening.
SM

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok - it's amazing what a simple little test will tell you!

I have no spark on either of the 2 plugs on the starboard side.

What I don't know now is what that tells me.

Where should i start to diagnose and how do I test that.

Thanks for your help guys!

SM

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there any way to test it before I spend $90??

SM

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

swap place with them, if the problem follows the power pack replace it.

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK - I did the test. Definitely the power pack.

I am guessing nothing during the rebuild could have caused this to fail - that wouldn't make sense.

What I am wondering is how long was that thing dead and I didn't realize it??

Take note fellas - if you got an older boat and it seems to be running " a little rough", don't assume it's just old age.

Thanks for all the imput guys - especially you Daddy. I am ordering my replacement now.

SM

Swampmouse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: UPDATE: Is This A Carb Problem???

Re: UPDATE: Is This A Carb Problem???

OK Guys,
I took her out the other day and it is amazing what a power pack makes! Still idling rough and still getting some vibration, so I am thinking I need to pull the jets.

One things that did worryme was that after running a good bit that day, I was at near WOT and she started to sputter and then died. It's the jets right?

ONe last thing, when running I got water shooting up hitting the bottom cover for the powerhead. I thought transducer from Fish finder, but she was good. I am thinking since I have not yet put my Stingray back on the foot that water is shooting up from the bolt holes hitting the cover. Sound right??

Thanks,
SM