Is there water in my toons???

glastron50gl

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2005 Harris Flotebote 270 Crowne with a 140 hp 4 stroke. The problem I'm having is its slow. The prop GODS are saying it has a over 30% prop slip, Based on the weight of the pontoon and the load onboard. What can throw these numbers off is water in the toons. If I have water in the toons thats alot more weight. So, how do you check for water in the toons. The pontoons are 27 ft long and seem to have 4 seperate compartments. Are there plugs somewhere? Sitting in the water it is flat and level on all sides. the motor weight is 420 lbs and does not seem to lift the bow any. Nor does three grown men standing on the bow or the stern. The boat stays level with about 1/3 of the pontoons under water. Thanks Nutinbitin

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Is there water in my toons???

How slow is "slow". Toons are not speed demons by design. I have a 20' so it is an unfair comparison. I would think WOT on yours should be between 24 and 30 mph on a GPS with 2 or 3 souls on board. The easiest way to check for water in the pontoons would be on the trailer. Go back and forth once and have a friend listen for water sloshing. There are plugs on the top or near the top on the inside. They are primarily for pressurizing the toons at the factory during leak tests.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I can't tell you how many boats I have "fixxed" with "water in the tubes", do the trailer test, if you don't hear it sloshing around the tubes are dry and that is just as fast as it goes.

Did the boat slow down over time?

If it had a leaky tube one or the other would list, little chance both tubes have the same leak, if it is listing make sure it isn't on the gas tank side.

glastron50gl

Seaman Apprentice

Yes the boat slowed down over time. I was told that it used to go 34 mph lightly loaded now it goes 25 mph and can't reach its WOT rpm range. I don't have a trailer maybe we can do it on a fork lift? Thanks Nutinbitin

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I doubt seriously if you have water in your toons but you should check them as stated in previous posts.

Your description of your toons in the water indicates it is highly unlikely that the toons are leaking. Seldom do you see two toons leaking so if yours are balanced either both are leaking the same amount or neither is leaking.

After checking for water, have the engine checked to get the WOT in the proper range.

Good luck.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Yes the boat slowed down over time. I was told that it used to go 34 mph lightly loaded now it goes 25 mph and can't reach its WOT rpm range. I don't have a trailer maybe we can do it on a fork lift? Thanks Nutinbitin

How much junk and garbage do you have on your toons below the waterline? My family keeps one in the Mississippi and it has to be hauled 2-3 times a year to clean all of the crud off the bottom. Really slows it down.

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jeff made a good comment about checking the bottom the toons.

But as I reread your post, I doubt seriously if a 27' pontoon with 140 hp ever saw 34mph. I don't think you'll ever see 30mph.

But, regardless, you need to get the WOT in the correct range.

flycaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

QUOTE"The prop GODS are saying it has a over 30% prop slip, UNQUOTE" Have you examined your prop to see if it does slip on the hub???

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

QUOTE"The prop GODS are saying it has a over 30% prop slip, UNQUOTE" Have you examined your prop to see if it does slip on the hub???

I assumed he was talking about the inherent inefficienies of pontoon props. In other words, a 15 pitch prop will only go about 10 inches through the water in one revolution.

If was slipping on the hub, then his WOT would be too high.