is there any way to service this 4.3 mpi without removing the engine?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Has it been running without overheating like that? If so you could just leave out the engine driven pump and use what is in the leg. Others may not recommend that but I would be tempted since I like to do my impeller every 2 years.

Can't use the drive mounted pump with closed cooling on a gen+ engine (not enough water flow). That's why it has an engine mounted pump. As difficult as it is, that pump needs to be repaired and put back on.

Chris.

thumpar

Admiral
I have heard that you are supposed to have it with full closed cooling but have read about people successfully doing it. Maybe not the best answer but it may work. I wonder if the other style pump would be easier to service? Mine is not the mickey mouse style. It is pretty easy to get out even blind.

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice
Chris - the back plate is badly worn - do you recommend replacing it with the air valve style? or can I simplify things and just get the gen 7 496 style pump?

that's if this kit does not work.

im496reb.jpg
stainless wearplate for both ends plus slightly shorter impeller to accommodate the wearplate thickness (football shaped pice drops into the bore.

in the meantime, I am playing detective and trying to find the missing impellor pieces.. I suspect the majority are upstream of my overheating port manifold.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Any pump with the required flow will do. Personally, in your situation, I'd put in whatever needs the least service attention. ;) As for impeller bits, try the exhaust elbow. The passages are not all that big at the end, so it is entirely possible they have lodged there.

Chris........