is there any way to service this 4.3 mpi without removing the engine?

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice
2003 Stingray MS200 with a 4.3 MPI jackshafted to an alpha gen2. got the risers cleaner up and starboard riser remains around 120 while engine temp is 160, but port riser and manifold temps immediately jump upwards of 190 within 5 minutes on muffs.

new SEI sterndrive installed a month ago, only a couple short sea trials with poor power so I have been trying to figure this out.

access at the rear of the engine is fine - but access at the front and sides is nearly impossible. Right now I am trying to figure out the best approach to
pulling the seawater pump from below the front of the engine.. from the looks of things it's going to be yet another "original part" to deal with

Suggestions?

I searched the forum on seawater pump removal but my search fu was not strong

right now I am pulling off serpentine belt to see if access improves, since that has to com off anyway

Bondo

Staff member
I searched the forum on seawater pump removal but my search fu was not strong

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... The raw water pump is in the drive on an Alpha, Gen.II,.....

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The MS200 was a real oddball from Stingray, a center console with a mid mounted engine, with a jack shaft connecting the engine to the drive. So maybe they used a thruhull and an engine mounted pump even with a merc/alpha drive?

OP, can you give us some pics of the engine compartment?

alldodge

Staff member
Something does not add up, you said

new SEI sterndrive installed a month ago,

Bondo confirmed
The raw water pump is in the drive on an Alpha, Gen.II

Then you said
Right now I am trying to figure out the best approach to pulling the seawater pump from below the front of the engine..

The issue is, if you have a belt driven raw water pump, then you "should" have a Bravo drive. If you now have an Alpha drive, then some things have changed

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice
Motor: M380325Drive: M469721Gimble: M557115

Original serial #s above Not sure if this boat has the original motor or not - previous owner says it was replaced at 500 hours, but who knows?

I have replaced the upper and lower with SEI 116 parts so the drive SN is not the same anymore.
IMG_3540.JPG

alldodge

Staff member
Your drive S/N is for a 1998 and Alpha Gen II, so you shouldn't have a belt drive seawater pump. If you have one, I would suggest removing it and changing the serpentine belt

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice
factory_sticker_ms200_2003.JPG
interesting ... I thought you needed the seawater pump with the closed cooling system, because of the extra load?
ishould I be surprised that a 1998 drive ended up on a 2003 boat?

Attachments

• factory_sticker_ms200_2003.JPG
    factory_sticker_ms200_2003.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
should I be surprised that a 1998 drive ended up on a 2003 boat?

No, the Gen 2 drive changed designs in 1998, all drives made after 1998 are the same. This is the reason it is listed as 1998 and up, sorry I forgot to type the "and up" part

alldodge

Staff member
Good one :pound: but you should not have that one either with a Gen 2

Pete104

Lieutenant
The "closed cooling" was installed by/for someone that was obviously salt water conscience. They would have pulled the impeller in the Gen II. That evidence is gone, with the new SEI. The port riser looks newer than the stbd but that is the one getting hot.

Should be a simple flow check from the heat exchanger to the manifolds and see if they are getting ANY water. If the seawater impeller is shot or marginal or heat exchanger plugged that's the "OUT" water.

It ain't an easy replacement but I would pull the stbd manifold & anything else in the way too make it happen.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Any closed cooling system on a Gen+ engine will have an engine driven pump.

The OPs problem is access, not what he should or shouldn't have. He has what he has.

But yes, access in that hull looks like a real nasty situation. One of my pet hates is baot makers who pretty up the boat and ignore such essentials as servicing the engine. And it looks like the engne cover is the seats. Myself, I would be very tempted to cut another panel into the floor between the engine and the console. Just pop that up and you would have all the access you need. Just make sure you seal it up properly.

Chris.......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Chris, its because most service happens after the warranty period, so the boat builders dont care what the boat owners need to go thru when it needs service.

I agree, looks like the boat was decked after the driveline installed.

regarding the warm riser/mani. the factory HX is a 5-1/2 pass unit, where one riser gets warmer discharge than the other (accountants - 1, engineer - 0). normally its the starboard side that is cooler than the port because of the design, however that is normally only 15-20 degrees

check the heat exchanger to see if the one discharge is plugged. then check the riser and manis for debris

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice
you guys are spot on. The saving grace is the relative ease of accessing the stern components because the jackshaft moves the engine a couple feet forward.
The real bonus was that I did not have to re-align the engine, just loosen the rear intermediate jackshaft bearing carrier and the drive popped right in.

however the access holes are still too small, so yeah I bet everything was installed, then the deck was added...
engineers-->. :fish: <-- bean counters

Unfortunately, the fuel tank is right in front of the engine, so there's no way of improving access from the front.

IView attachment 4br4lpX7RtwBscqouXGqrr2sxdnOXXHnEjGNTVonG5-WaZKgqKqXhMpuTxRKnLrh67wTqXgwti6BNvmeIobDQZgKe5uQEmm_dqWb

trucknutz36582

Seaman Apprentice

thumpar

Admiral
Has it been running without overheating like that? If so you could just leave out the engine driven pump and use what is in the leg. Others may not recommend that but I would be tempted since I like to do my impeller every 2 years.