Is there a way to get a 25merc 2 stroke to charge batteries?

scbasschaser

Seaman Apprentice
Im curious if there is a device that can be attached to a 25hr two stroke that will charge on-board batteries? The motor has an electric start but no alternator. How expensive would it become make this coversion? Any ideas would be great.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is there a way to get a 25merc 2 stroke to charge batteries?

Got a year and serial no. so we know what you have?

scbasschaser

Seaman Apprentice

Got a year and serial no. so we know what you have?
It is a 25hp 2 stroke 2003 T0599667. I have one deep cycle marine battery that runs everything and did not realized that I draining the battery and recharging every time is not good for battery life. The marine dealership said I could run everything all day and never hurt it.

I trying to get options on either additional battery for trolling only or purchase a recharging device. Not sure if there is something like that for this type of motor. Tx for the reply.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

If it came from factory with electric start it should be charging the battery,if it was a add on kit it would not. That enine would only have a 6amp stator and that at WOT, so if you do a lot of trolling it wont charge much back into battery...

scbasschaser

Seaman Apprentice

Since I bought the boat used and it's my first boat I'm learning on the fly here. I'm not sure that it I see any kinda of charging kit but soon as I figure out what a stator and WOT are I'll see if it may be putting a small charge back on the battery. My experience after a day at the lake, it takes about an hour or two on the home charger to bring it back to full. Installing a volt meter so I can see what is going on here and arrives today. Hate to kill my new battery prematurely, since I bought an expensive one. Tx again.

Laddies

Banned

There is a alternator kit available from Mercury for that engine

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Unless I looked it up wrong..........

That unit should have came with the charge coil, the additional electric start kit 'should' have included the rectifier.

Test battery voltage before starting, start the motor and during your run to your fishing spot watch the battery voltage, if it rises above the original # before starting, you already have the charging system working.

It is a small system, pretty much only to recharge the battery from starting and operate only a couple of light accessories, nothing near what is needed for a trolling motor.

I recommend a separate deep cycle battery for trolling and recharge it at home after every use.

You can look up parts for your motor here

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp

jbjennings

Captain

CharlieB is exactly right on his post.
That motor should have the stator and rectifier. The rectifiers will blow if the battery is hooked up wrong, etc.
Do as said and check the voltage at the battery with the motor not running, then with the motor running at fast idle. If it's not higher voltage, it's a good chance the rectifier is bad. They're not that high in price. Then again, I haven't worked on a 2003 motor so it may be a little different from what I'm accustomed to. Definitely has a charging circuit, but as stated it's pretty weak. I'm thinking they're aren't ANY motors rigged up to charge a trolling battery---even the 150hp motors and such.
JBJ

carholme

Rear Admiral

Are you sure that you have the correct s/n as T0599667? Do you think it might be 0T599667?

As you are not sure of exactly what you have, here is the service manual for your engine as s/n 0T599667

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/826883r2/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

You can check under Section 2B for the charging system components which your engine should have and 2D for the wiring diagrams.

Here is the parts list for that engine which is a model:

1025312AD MERCURY 2003 25

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/3236.cfm

And you will see the Charging Kit listed under Accessories.

Gerry

scbasschaser

Seaman Apprentice

Unless I looked it up wrong..........

That unit should have came with the charge coil, the additional electric start kit 'should' have included the rectifier.

Test battery voltage before starting, start the motor and during your run to your fishing spot watch the battery voltage, if it rises above the original # before starting, you already have the charging system working.

It is a small system, pretty much only to recharge the battery from starting and operate only a couple of light accessories, nothing near what is needed for a trolling motor.

I recommend a separate deep cycle battery for trolling and recharge it at home after every use.

You can look up parts for your motor here

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/mercruiser_parts.asp

Thanks Charlie B, I'll plan to get switched over to an additional battery in the Spring. I don't think I'll get very many long days of trolling here in the winter just a few hours on the warmer afternoons. You gave me some great overheating advice and after the fixes, I'm surprised how much improvement a motor can perform. Check out the chunck of rubber I found stuck sideways in the water pump housing using a flashlight test. Never would have found it.impeller clog (2).jpg

jbjennings

Captain

Hey JB.... long time. I charge my trolling batterys(36 volt) off my Junkrude 250hp charging system. The only thing the 35amp system is good for on these motors...
http://www.chargingchargers.com/chargers/dual-pro/px3.html

Wow, and a 36 volt, no less! I had no idea that any outboards would do that!!!!!
There's a merc inline 6 115hp in my area that is very reasonably priced. After all "Oldmercsrule" 's posts on those things, I'd like to test it out. It would be fun to put it on my 16.5foot skeeter bass boat and see how fast it was!
Later,
JBJ