Is the US ready?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
after warching some CNN, mistake at best< and listening to some drivel from a feminist about the polls show that the majority of americans would support a female president my next questions are are we ready for that and who would we elect that could maintain the respect or the rest of the world while insuring domestic tranquility?<br /> I dont know the answer but I have opinions on who it should not be that ill keep to myself.<br /> maybe the next election Ill pencil in Minnie Mouse.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Is the US ready?

Rod that would make Mickey darn proud!<br /><br />I don't see any person Male or Female rising up through the ranks...yet. I imagine the world would view a female president as they do the Queen of England. I don't know the answer.<br /><br />Bob

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

As long as they are the best American for the job, I dont care about their race or gender.<br /><br />Ken

mattttt25

Commander

i would sincerely have no problem with a president from any race, religion, or gender.<br /><br />my grandmother would freak out with a black president.<br /><br />my father would freak out with a female president.<br /><br />when those two generations are gone, i think we'll have presidents of various races and both genders.<br /><br />pls don't take my comments offensive if you fit in one of those generations. i just think it's the absolute truth. wrong beliefs sometimes have to die with the people that hold them.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

. I know it’s only a matter of time till we elect our first Ms. President. I guess then we’ll have to be ready for it. In the current era seems though as long as the president doesn’t screw up to bad, he is doing a good job. Sad isn’t it. <br /><br /> As far as who first, seems to me like good'ol Slick Willy may be the first "First Man" in the white house. It appears as though some of the Democratic Party is paving the way for Senator Clinton to take a run at it in the next election

LadyFish

Admiral

To be quite honest I am not ready for a female president. Its not that a woman can't handle the job...they most assuredly can.<br /><br />The concern I have is that the rest of the world wouldn't give her the time of day, nor would they respect/honor her decisions when it comes to war and it could quite possibly put our country in danger.<br /><br />And God Bless us all if Hillary ever gets elected.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

I certainly don't care about gender/race in the White House or any other part of government for that matter.<br /><br />LF - must disagree. I believe any woman elected by the American public would most certainly command international respect. Maggie Thatcher had all kinds of respect and she came to office in the 'dark ages' - 1979.

LadyFish

Admiral

I enjoyed reading this.<br /><br />Pros and Cons of a Woman President<br />By John Sammon<br /><br />In general, I think women are a little more honest than men because they care less about strutting, arrogant (bring ‘em on) false pride turning-itself-into-close-minded-dogma that for example, the current president exhibits.<br /><br />Of course, a down side is that once a woman is elected, she often tries to act more like a man, to compete with the men around her, which is to act more arrogant, stupid and paranoid.<br /><br />But some countries have been at their absolute peak when they’ve had a woman at the helm, the England of Elizabeth the First for example.<br /><br />Women as a rule are good at multi-tasking, a key job skill for president, while men are like hound dogs, sniffing in just one direction after a goal until it becomes an obsession. Women are better than men at dealing with defeat or disappointment. They have a more user-friendly Murphy’s Law view of existence (setbacks are bound to occur), and are less likely to take a defeat as a personal loss of face, and thus shape twisted policies from it (Lyndon Johnson said he wasn’t going to let any ****-ant country (Vietnam) boss him around).<br /><br />But there are possible problems.<br /><br />A woman president might get too caught up in the décor of the White House, the curtains, the drapes and furniture, spend too much time shopping for interior decoration, neglecting foreign policy and the economy.<br /><br />Naturally, the first woman president’s husband, the first First Man, might also have a tough time, being perceived in the public eye as a wimp, woos, pansy. Or, just as likely, he could be faulted as the real power behind the throne, as Hillary Clinton was.<br /><br />Another unpleasant reality is that the populace is bound to be more harshly critical of a woman who makes a gaff as president, rather than chalking it up to simple innocent stupidity as they would with a man----like when Nixon walked into a wall on-camera, or Gerald Ford beaned a spectator with a golf ball, or Jimmy Carter admitted he’d lusted after photos in Playboy Magazine.<br /><br />Such conduct would be considered unladylike.<br /><br />We have women in combat, but we still expect them to act like ladies.<br /><br />It is a proven fact that women think with a different part of their brain.<br /><br />Would a woman treat a dictator of a rogue state like an errant schoolboy, instead of launching an invasion of his country? Women have shown they can be tough. To use a wrestling parlance, Maggie Thatcher jumped off the top turnbuckle onto the neck of Argentina over the Falklands.<br /><br />Whoever she is, the first woman president is bound to be a Democrat. That’s a con right there, because she will be in effect a member of no organized party. The right, which despite their denials still believe a woman should be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, (Republican candidates usually appoint a woman under them in a key post as a token to skirt the issue), would subject her to merciless attacks.<br /><br />I think if you’re a man, the best reason to support a woman for president is-----take a look at the positive qualities of your own wife.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

LF I disagree too, there are several large countries that have had female leaders, and they were not considered "not respected".<br /><br />I think Condi Rice would invoke fear in a lot of countries.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

LF wrote:<br /><br />
The concern I have is that the rest of the world wouldn't give her the time of day, nor would they respect/honor her decisions when it comes to war and it could quite possibly put our country in danger.<br /><br />
I have to agree, sad, but probably true.<br /><br />Hillary wouldn't stand a chance against C. Rice.<br /><br />I think, for now, that Condi would make a super VP.

NYMINUTE

Captain

If we are ready, it is not for Hilary. She is too liberal, and completely self serving. Her interest is topping the history books as the first female prez. There are other candidates much more worthy, and respected. Too bad Barbara Bush is not in the mix. That lady has moxy, and leadership. I see the dem's rolling the dice on Hilary, who will the republicans nominate? There choice better be well ahead of **** Cheney.

LadyFish

Admiral

Margaret Thatcher is a great example I agree.<br /><br />And, maybe if Condi Rice was our first President, some of the concerns I currently have would be lessoned.<br /><br />I guess we will never know if we're ready for it until we do it.

D

DJ

Anyone remember Margaret Thatcher??
Indeed, I do.<br /><br />Margaret Thatcher (The Iron Lady) was a "one off" leader.<br />She solidified the wonderful relationship that we enjoy with the UK today.<br /><br />God Bless her. Cheers.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

originally posted by soulwinner<br /> Anyone remember Margaret Thatcher?? <br />
If you need an example of a woman at the helm you need look no further. <br /><br />Mrs Thatcher was not nicknamed the "Iron Lady" for no reason, there are a lot of people who do not like the lady, most of these are the people who tried to cross her, weather they be the miners who (IMHO) tried to hold her government to ransom or European leaders who thought they could play hard ball with her durring EU negotiations or indeed the Argentinian government.<br /><br />I belive that a major part of what made Mrs T such a strong leader of this country was the fact that she had to prove herself in what is very much a mans world.<br /><br />In fact I would say that up untill the end of her third term as PM she was second only to Winston Churchill in the all time list of great leaders of this country.<br /><br />If the US can find a woman of this caliber then I would say YES you are ready.

D

DJ

RPJS,<br /><br />I accept that assesment of Mrs. Thatcher. Even though it's none of our (US) business.<br /><br />She was a "one off".

SoulWinner

Commander

One thing that Thatcher and Condi have in common is CLASS. They both ALWAYS carry themselves with the utmost level of grace, something that cannot be said of Hillary, Boxer, Streisand et al.

D

DJ

They both ALWAYS carry themselves with the utmost level of grace, something that cannot be said of Hillary, Boxer, Streisand et al.<br /><br />
Ditto.<br /><br />But, that doesn't matter--anymore.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Unfortunately there is still a stigma around women that does not foster respect. It's not quite as prevalent in the U.S., but it is still very much in effect around the world.<br /><br />I think for the type of woman that can overcome this, the Margaret Thatchers of the world, to rise to the role of President, we would all see it coming. Like a freight train barreling towards and intersection, there would be little doubt to the outcome. For the type of woman that can overcome the prejudice still evident in society, I don't think it would be a close election, but rather a landslide.<br /><br />I don't see that happening with Hillary Clinton, or even Rice, though I will admit that Rice is closer.