Is the Sting Ray XPII Hydrofoil better than Sting Ray XPI?

WhereBob

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm debating whether or not the Sting Ray XPII Hydrofoil Stabilizer is worth the $20 more over the Sting Ray XPI?

The difference is the XPII is made with a Speed-XP? hydrophilic material that creates a water-on-water surface eliminating drag. So does this really make much difference?
Anyone with experience with both Hydrofoils?

Thanks

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Is the Sting Ray XPII Hydrofoil better than Sting Ray XPI?

while i can't answer yer question about that specific foil. i think td is right. get the smart tabs. all a hydofoil ever did for me was break off a piece of my vent plate...... i've never had tabs, but if i was gonna consider doing something along those lines. i'd do the tabs way before the foil.....foils lift at, and stress your drive. tabs lift the boat only....... which to me, is better for the drive.....

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Another vote for the tabs.

Avoid the ghetto boat spoiler.

nlain

Commander

Smart Tabs is the way to go. I had a Sting Ray foil on my old boat and it did strange things to my boat, never did like it. It greatly amplified the prop torque list when running bow down, if you made a tight turn you had better duck cause there is a wide band of water coming across the boat from the bow because it is too deep in the water, I had a lot of porpoise porblems, lost speed, burned more gas. I do not know about the new one so far as speed and gas is concerned but it will probably do the rest of the bad things.

WhereBob

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well you guys convinced me to go with the smart tabs. I went out to install and realized I don't have room to mount them due to speed sensor, hold down straps and trailer mounts.
rsP9280544.jpg

Back to the orginal Q, which hydrofoil is better?

Thanks

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Pretty much no-one here is a fan of hydrofoils. Especially on bigger boats. Seen them used on small boats to some benefit, but they usually just kill your top end.

Talk to the guys at Nauticus and I'm sure they would have a mounting method that would work.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Pretty much no-one here is a fan of hydrofoils. Especially on bigger boats. Seen them used on small boats to some benefit, but they usually just kill your top end.

Talk to the guys at Nauticus and I'm sure they would have a mounting method that would work.

I guess I am pretty much no-one then because I can say with confidence that I am a fan of Stingray foils on two boats. Beyond that I have no experience. There have also been a few other posts recently with fans of the foils posting, so we are out there.

The boats I have the foils installed on are as follows: One boat is a 16 foot 1974 Starcraft Supersport with a 70 hp Johnson, and the other is a 16 foot 1991 Smokercraft with a 60 hp johnson. Both are V-hull aluminum boats and both are low to mid 30's for speed. Both have the original Singray. Both do what was expected of them, which is get the boat on-plane faster and maintain on-plane at lower speeds. Top speed didn't suffer more than a couple mph if any at all. Wasn't concerned about top speed, so never measured the before and after. As for adverse characteristics, I've heard about them but I have not experienced any. Also, the foil on the Starcraft has the optional torque stabilizer fins and they also work great. Virtually no steering torque and the "lean" due to torque was reduced too. For these boats they have worked great.

As for smart tabs, I may try them on my current boat and can't say anything good or bad about them. I will be trying the Stingray off the Starcraft first though.

As for the original question, I'm sorry I can't help regarding the Stingray II as all my experience is with the original Stingray.

reelfishin

Captain

I never liked Hydrofoils for two reasons, one they put too much weight and stress on the drive and transom that normally wouldn't be there, and two they can create strange handling problems. I drove a buddies 16' speed boat which had one, both before and after, without the hydrofoil it would rail around sharp turns very predictably, with the Sting Ray mounted, it would both spray the occupants in the rear on turn and the boat would break loose and catch again on fast turns, the foil would 'dig' in on turns causing the boat to catch and stop abruptly, a very dangerous situation. Instead of predictably, drifting turns at higher speeds, the outer wing of the foil would catch the water causing the boat to lean away from the turn. All it took was to experience that effect once for me to dislike hydrofoils.

While this is an extreme case which can happen at higher speed maneuvers, the possibility is there for it to happen when least expected.
Many motor manufacturers also do not recommend their use either.
Here's a link to Mercury's site on this item: http://www.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/outboardfaqs/index.php#3

What was actually happening on my buddies boat was that on a normal banking turn, the right fin of the hydrofoil would be out of the water, thus creating lift, this would in turn cause the rear of the boat and drive to ride upward and leave the water, when speed was lost, the result would be that same fin now pointing downward towards the water, digging in and nearly stopping the boat dead or at the very minimum causing a dangerous roll condition. This effect could be as little as an uncomfortable stop or as violent as hitting a wall depending on the speed. In effect what it was doing was causing the boat to come off plane suddenly while in a turn due to the prop being lifted from the water as the boat drifted into the turn, thus putting the boat into effect a slide for a moment until the fin of the hydrofoil again dug into the water causing the sudden 'roll' effect.

Smart tabs are the best option, if other items are in the way, then I'd have to consider moving them to a better location which will allow the use of tabs. There's no way I'd ever run a hydrofoil after seeing first hand their downside.

I've also seen anti-cavitation plated both cracked and completely broken off from the use of hydrofoils. I have several laying around the shop that still have parts of lower units still attached which had broken off. I removed one from a 1999 Mercury 115 the other day which had a cracked anti-cavitation plate and severe corrosion in the outline of the hydrofoil. It had held salt and harbored corrosion. It had all but fallen off from the bolts pulling through what was left of the motor's lower plate. The rest of the motor was still clean with no signs of pitting.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

If by "trailer mounts", you mean your bunks, you do have room. The bunks should be even with the transom. Move the boat and winch stanchion back 2" and you're good-to-go. As stated by other, the foils put tremendous stress on the anti-cavitation plate.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I would relocate the speed sensor and the tie downs for your straps and use tabs.

I had a foil on my 19' cuddy and the stability was not there. One day while I had the family out an idiot passed me very close and his wake forced my boat to pivot hard right and almost turned over. I ordered my tabs that night and no matter how the wakes hit the hull she remained stable. The outdrive is not designed to handle the upward force placed on it by the foil either.

The difference between the foil and the Smart tabs were night and day. SHe planed much faster and would stay on plane at lower speed.

Aqua Boy

Recruit

I am interested in a Hydrofoil but am indeed concerned about the stress placed on the lower end. It stands to reason that greater pressure will be placed on the lower end. Additionally, I think that smart tabs are the way to go due the fact that the extra pressure will be absorbed by the hull; being attributed to the differing mounting position. I would appreciate any replies regarding this issue.

PS
First timer and enjoy the forms very much.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Welcome to iboats.

I think if you do a search for "hydrofoil" you will be able to read for days and the overall concensus is not on an I/O, you just can't get it out of the water at higher speeds.