Is the Shuttle program really necesary?

Triton II

Commander
Re: Is the Shuttle program really necesary?

There's a story doing the rounds that in the early days of space flight, NASA commissioned ball point pen companies to produce a pen that worked in zero-g. Eventually after thousands of hours of research the Papermate company produced its amazingly pump action ball pen. :eek: In the meantime the Russians used a pencil! :cool:

Dunaruna

Admiral

Yeah but the yanks stopped the PENS from floating around with............... velcro ;)

KRS

Banned

yanks.... love it

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Triton II:<br /> There's a story doing the rounds that in the early days of space flight, NASA commissioned ball point pen companies to produce a pen that worked in zero-g. Eventually after thousands of hours of research the Papermate company produced its amazingly pump action ball pen. :eek: In the meantime the Russians used a pencil! :cool:
Naaaaa, that's false. The Fisher company worked on getting a pen that would write in space, but NASA did not pay for the work.<br />Fisher did make what they called the Fisher Space Pen and did sell some to NASA for 2.95 each, about 400 I think.<br />They even went commercial with it for a few years if I remember right.<br /><br />But in the early days,(Apollo) NASA and Russia both used pencils.

D

DJ

The shuttle, as a vehicle, no. We need a new one. Let private industry do it.<br /><br />Exploration, yes.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The shuttle is tired and pretty much done, time for new technology. It will probably be the private sector that will make it happen. We need space exploration, we need any exploration. It gives us something to be excited about in this day and age of terrorism and general mayhem. I would be deeply saddened if humanity said "screw it, we've seen enough"....

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br />i read a article once about a group working on putting a large sattelite in space, which would then lower several large cables to earth. the sattelite would sync with the earth's rotation, and hence, be "anchored" the the earth. a cart would then be rigged to run up and down the cables, allowing trips to space for many.
I can't see it. The distance would be equivalent of running a cable from your front door to your back door, the LONG way around.<br /><br />That's right, all the way around the earth. And then some.<br /><br />Synchronous orbit is somewhere in the vicinity of 26,000 miles (circumference of earth is approx. 24,900 miles). Can you imagine one cable, let alone many, strong enough to support a manned elevator-type vehicle, long enough to wrap around the entire earth?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> Maybe someone can enlighten me on the subject. I know that they launch satelites etc and should be being repaid for doing such things, but are we really getting much for the amount of money spent?
Not any more, and even at the onset just jobs and toys for scientists. Chief ;)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Just the logistics of keeping the thing from twisting and tangling the cables up would be a deal breaker. Besides, just how would you rescue the people who are stuck in the thing?

Link

Rear Admiral

SBN <br />
Naaaaa, that's false. The Fisher company worked on getting a pen that would write in space, but NASA did not pay for the work.<br />Fisher did make what they called the Fisher Space Pen and did sell some to NASA for 2.95 each, about 400 I think.<br />They even went commercial with it for a few years if I remember right.<br /><br />But in the early days,(Apollo) NASA and Russia both used pencils.
I think your correct on this. Then they marketed them as space pens with the false story. I actually have one with the original box and story etc. Claims it will write on glass.. NOT but it will write upside down (until gravity takes over) :D <br /><br />SBN<br />
They haven't a clue yet as to what is out there. IMO.
I think some do know a little but are not allowed to talk about it. IM not so humble O.<br /><br />But back to the subject.. you bet I think we should move forward and explore. Just as Lewis and Clark did. Only the Canoe has changed ;)

treedancer

Commander

Me thinks that this getting to serious. In my hippie day I had a 1969 vw bus that we took some pretty good trips in. <br />Don

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by treedancer:<br /> Me thinks that this getting to serious. In my hippie day I had a 1969 vw bus that we took some pretty good trips in. <br />Don
Serious? Naw, were just having fun here on your Earth <br />Signed<br />Travelers Guide to the Universe :D

Triton II

Commander

Thanks for clearing that "pen vs pencil" issue up SBN. Anyone else got any space program rumours? It'll be fun to clear up a few. In the mean time, I agree that NASA etc should work together to get a more up-to-date and safe method of space exploration going, but until something materialises, the Shuttle will have to do.