Is the Shuttle program really necesary?

LubeDude

Admiral
Maybe someone can enlighten me on the subject. I know that they launch satelites etc and should be being repaid for doing such things, but are we really getting much for the amount of money spent?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is the Shuttle program really necesary?

Is any exploration really necessary?<br /><br />No.<br /><br />Is it worth doing? Yes. All of that money goes into our GDP, and the scientific knowledge and the derived products enhance our lives and our future.<br /><br />Life would be pretty dull and we would be a third world country without exploration and experimentation.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Life would be pretty dull and we would be a third world country without exploration and experimentation.
That's right JB, you either grab the ring and climb the mountain or you (as a nation) sit on your duff's and slide into obscurity. <br /><br />I know it's certainly not on the same scale or cost, but did the Wright Brothers have any real idea where their rickety little invention was going to eventually take us??<br /><br />Besides LubeDude there are most likely numerous things that you touch, work with and use that came to be as the result of space flight. <br /><br />As stated before, we can either use our capabilities to grow and move forward OR, as some here would have us do, we can consume ourselves by funding a society that will get used to having all necessities provided by Uncle Sam, and slide into European Style inconsequentiality.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

I wish I'd saved the article that reviewed some of what the space program has provided us through their research and development programs. You would be surprised how it's changed our lives. Take Tang for instance. (OK that last part was just a joke. :) ) As JFK stated we choose to go to the moon not because it is easy, but because it is difficult. We learn and move forward because of these types of programs.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think the shuttle should be scrapped, there are much cheaper ways to get into space.<br /><br />What can the shuttle do that the Apollo type rockets cant do.<br /><br />But NASA is too broke to invest in any other vehicle, so they stick with what they got.<br /><br />Ken

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What can the shuttle do that the Apollo type rockets cant do.<br />
It can be reused and it doesn't cost a fortune to launch. No matter what alternative they come up with to replace the shuttle it will cost money to research and develop. There was a piece on the news this morning about what it would take to do the same work as the shuttle. Basically, you would have to launch two rockets, one cargo, and one with a capsule to return to earth in. They do need to develop a new shuttle though as it is mostly 1980s technology. Apollo rockets are 1960's technology and would take years to build again.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

What? The earth's not flat?

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

IMHO a space program is neccessary. However the shuttle technology is very old. I think we have learned everything we can from the current shuttle fleet and it's time to move on to something new.<br /><br />However moving to something new requires time and lot's of money. KenImpZoom has it right - no money so they run with what they have.

SpinnerBait_Nut

They haven't a clue yet as to what is out there. IMO.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe space exploration is just an example of human nature. Is it worth what we're spending? I'm looking for the exact figures (searching the GAO website is a NIGHTMARE) but I've heard many times that NASA get's less than 1% of the Federal budget as opposed to all the social programs put together which is somewhere around 34% and 36%. Take that with a grain of salt if you wish, I'm still looking for the official figure. If it's true then I would say it's WELL worth it. I do know that NASA gets squat compared to other programs.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It is neccessary to have jobs and the space program does just that. Super Glue, Velcro, LED's, are just a few things generated by the space program. Another thing that the majority fails to connect is that it gets young children involved with it also.<br /><br />For the amount of money spent on it, I feel that it is worth it.<br /><br />SBN, We know about your little friends and I believe it when you say there is more out there than we know about! We know you talk to them. How many hepisuits have you sold so far? :D :p

mattttt25

Commander

it's all about being human, and especially an american. we do it because we can.<br /><br /><br />i read a article once about a group working on putting a large sattelite in space, which would then lower several large cables to earth. the sattelite would sync with the earth's rotation, and hence, be "anchored" the the earth. a cart would then be rigged to run up and down the cables, allowing trips to space for many.<br /><br />sounded like science fiction, but the article said the group had tremendous funding and the technology was right around the corner to make the idea work. can't remember all the details, but they guessed they would have a "lift" in place in 30-40 years if i remember correctly. cool.

KRS

Banned

How else would we aim the laser beams to blast the aliens? hmmmmm?<br /><br /> :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

KRS

Banned

A tyvek suit

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think its a HEPA suit.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by brother chris:<br />
Originally posted by SBN:<br />
Originally posted by SS Mayfloat:<br />How many hepisuits have you sold so far? :D :p
What the heck is a hepisuit??????<br />I googled it and nothing came up :confused: :confused:
It is hepasuit, and you will find nothing by doing a google search. It is a KAYNTK unit. I will not hi-jack this thread about it, but look tomorrow for the new updated version of the suit. :cool: