Is the buddy heater safe?

Canadamike

Cadet
Morning everyone,

If I have my canvas on the boat that will enclose it (Bimini with all panels zipped on) can I run a buddy heater inside this while the boat is in use? Any issues with the gas tank venting or carbon monoxide?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Morning everyone,

If I have my canvas on the boat that will enclose it (Bimini with all panels zipped on) can I run a buddy heater inside this while the boat is in use? Any issues with the gas tank venting or carbon monoxide?
Used one of these for years while fishing in the winter
1661871594844.jpeg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Use of Buddy heaters in an enclosed space was discussed ad nauseam some years ago. Many comments were directed specifically at RVs. I read that MyBuddy in particular was involved in a lawsuit. Since they are still in business I would guess that they made some modifications.

The 2 hazards are CO poisoning and ignition of gas fumes. I personally wouldn't use one, but if I HAD to I would be sure to have a CO monitor and a gas fume sniffer onboard.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I spend days every winter in an enclosed space with a Mr Heater running, no issues at all, quite comfortable actually.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I spend days every winter in an enclosed space with a Mr Heater running, no issues at all, quite comfortable actually.
I also have a Buddy in my Hunting "tent" and spend hours at a time. However, a few differences. The only "fumes" are occasional flatulence and so far they haven't been sufficient to blow the place up. (no gasoline) Secondly, I have a swivel seat inside with 4 kinda large windows, so although it is "enclosed" its not very air tight.

The owner's manual for the tent says to not have heated appliances inside, but of course that's just leagalspeak to keep them from litigation. I defy the rules.

One can do as they please, but us guys would be negligent to approve such use in a gasoline environment because in the event of a catastrophe we could be held liable.

It all comes down to common sense.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Mr. Heater Buddy’s portable propane heaters can be safely used indoors. Mr. Heater Buddy heaters have low oxygen sensors that shut the heater off when carbon monoxide is produced. Still, it pays to be cautious, and you should take precautionary measures when using a propane heater indoors regardless of brand and reputation. Be sure to leave a little opening for ventilation. I use one in my boat in the winter but I am continuously aware of the potential CO danger even with the O2 sensor.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I also have a Buddy in my Hunting "tent" and spend hours at a time. However, a few differences. The only "fumes" are occasional flatulence and so far they haven't been sufficient to blow the place up. (no gasoline) Secondly, I have a swivel seat inside with 4 kinda large windows, so although it is "enclosed" its not very air tight.

The owner's manual for the tent says to not have heated appliances inside, but of course that's just leagalspeak to keep them from litigation. I defy the rules.

One can do as they please, but us guys would be negligent to approve such use in a gasoline environment because in the event of a catastrophe we could be held liable.

It all comes down to common sense.
If you have ever tried to heat up the cockpit to defrost the eisenglass on a cool fall morning you would understand the canvas even zippered shut is not airtight by any means.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Cant imagine a zipped canvass cover being airtight, but as with all things, use common sense....only use a heater that has an O2 sensor and be on the lookout for signs of co2 issues.

Canadamike

Cadet
So it looks like the general consensus is these can be used in my application with some caution and common sense.
Much appreciated for all that chimed in!

Canadamike

Cadet
I just bought a new Mr heater right on the box it says safe for indoor use.
Me as well. Home hardware here had them on sale for 119.00 so I purchased the small one. Tried it quickly the other day with the enclosure closed up on the boat. Wow. On low this will be plenty of heat for what I need.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I think the real issue has been lost in the discussion.

Sure, use a Buddy in a tent, in the Living room or even in the closet if you see a Hurricane approaching. Although the first thought would be about CO poisoning, but the new units are designed to be safe in that regard.

But, do you really want to use an ignition source in an enclosure where gasoline fumes are a possibility? If that's OK for you, then go for it.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I think the real issue has been lost in the discussion.

Sure, use a Buddy in a tent, in the Living room or even in the closet if you see a Hurricane approaching. Although the first thought would be about CO poisoning, but the new units are designed to be safe in that regard.

But, do you really want to use an ignition source in an enclosure where gasoline fumes are a possibility? If that's OK for you, then go for it.

If you know anything about LELs you will rest assured. If you are anxious run the blowers.

Canadamike

Cadet
I did think about that but doesn’t make a difference if you have an outboard? My boat has no blowers.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I did think about that but doesn’t make a difference if you have an outboard? My boat has no blowers.
Depends on where the fuel tank is and if no fumes/leaks are inside the boat. No blowers on most outboards but to me there should be if the fuel tank is under the deck.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No blowers on most outboards but to me there should be if the fuel tank is under the deck.
Blowers are required on I/O and inboards because the fuel tank is housed in the same enclosed space as an internal combustion engine.

No such hazard exists on an outboard powered boat

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Blowers are required on I/O and inboards because the fuel tank is housed in the same enclosed space as an internal combustion engine.

No such hazard exists on an outboard powered boat
Unless the fuel tank is located in the same enclosed space as your buddy.