FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I have alot of friends who only want to skurf unless it is glass. I think the conditions required to make a skurfing wake (basically trying to climb your own continuous bow wave) are hard on the drivetrain of the boat. Am I being ridiciulous?
It depends on how you are trimming it out. I have seen some people trim the outdrive way up in an attempt to raise the bow with the assumption that this would make a bigger wake. Driving a boat under that kind of load with the drive in raised or trimmed up position could be hard on the u joint just like turning real hard while gunning it is hard on the joints. U joints are not designed to take a lot of torque while at an extreme angle, same with the gimbal bearing. Trimming it out a little is fine but I would listen for any growling or knocking and stop if you hear either.
Do you mean wakesurfing, like directly behind the boat? If so it is EXTREMELY dangerous on an I/O. Even with a swim grid. The propeller sticks out way to far. You need an Inboard V or Direct Drive Ski Boat.
It put alot of drag on the drivetrain, so it would depend on the size of the engine & what drive as to how much it is affected....
Skurfing is for those not man enough to slalom with a regular ski....
I ride (wake board, wake skate and surf) nearly every week in the summer and I have an I/O, but I a buddy has inboard wake-board boat and we alternate what boat we take. We ONLY surf behind it, to surf behind a I/O is beyond dangerous. If you have an I/O you cant surf, simple as that. If you want to surf get a inboard, it is required unless you enjoy pain , gore and possibly dieing .