Is painting over the existing paint an option?

and2ram

Seaman
I have an '87 18' Sylvan Supersportster. It's in pretty good shape for it's age but of course there are things that need to be done. One thing I'd like to do is repaint. I see this as going one of three ways:

1. paint over existing paint
2. soda blast/remove paint below the spray rails and repaint above (like many modern aluminum boats)
3. remove paint from entire boat and start with new paint from scratch

I'd like to know what you all would do and why.

The obvious easy solution would be to paint over what's already there. Is this an option? If it is what sort of prep work would be needed? All the stripe work on the boat are vinyl so that part 'should' be easy. How about areas where sand/scrapes have taken the paint off, any special prep for those areas?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is painting over the existing paint an option?

The last link in my signature below has some good info on painting. If the paint is adhering well then a light sanding, wipe down with acetone and primer should be fine. Any Bare Aluminum must be primed with Self Etching Primer. Check out the link.

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

My Son's old tinny looks good enough that we are only going to do like Woodonglass said above, and lightly sand, prime and repaint. My boat on the other hand was soooooo bad :( there was not much choice but to strip and start all over. Everywhere I worked on it, it seems someone had already scraped or sanded and there was not one layer that was even enough to stop and build on. Hopefully you won't have but the original paint to deal with.

North Beach

Commander

The last link in my signature below has some good info on painting. If the paint is adhering well then a light sanding, wipe down with acetone and primer should be fine. Check out the link.

I agree.....

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sure hope so! lol

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The last link in my signature below has some good info on painting. If the paint is adhering well then a light sanding, wipe down with acetone and primer should be fine. Any Bare Aluminum must be primed with Self Etching Primer. Check out the link.

Remember though .. that ACETONE can attack Paint sometimes and lift the edges of the paint up ( or attack the paint itself leading to a failed surface. Sometimes its better to consider denatured alcohol .. or even a mild de-waxer solvent.

I personally would remove whatever is coming off when you prep for Primer .. then prime and paint it ( aside from whatever you need to do with the rivets and things ).

Peace :)

YD.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

ya- acetone cuts grease and gummy stuff really well. But it is absorbed by the body really well, too.

I like the suggestions above though- denatured alcohol (but evaporates too fast sometimes) can do it OK but I often use enamel reducer as it still evaporates fast and I think as good as prep-sol type products. But enamel reducer absorbs through the skin, too. Gloves are good, and I prefer the vapors of enamel reducer to acetone (which gives me a headache).

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I prefer the vapors of Dawn dish washing liquid, cuts grease and oil without worrying about harsh chemicals and petroleum distillates.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I've never heard of using Water based chemicals as a final prep for solvent based paint. That's a new one for me.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I've never heard of using Water based chemicals as a final prep for solvent based paint. That's a new one for me.

As long as its not exposed alum water based Final wipes are just fine. Not really Prep .. just wipedowns.

I know some that use amonia/water for final wipes as ammonia does not attack most primers/paints.

Understand also that there are upper paint guru's that dont use any wipedown at all. They sand/prep their primer with 400-600 grit .. blow it off with a clean rag .. tack it and start shooting paint ( no wipedown whatsoever ).

Acetone attacks a lot of products..and if your not working with gelcoat ..then you might want to use something else ( or nothing at all depending ).

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well here's what I do know. If there is any water residue left behind whatsoever, and you attempt to apply a solvent based paint over it, it will fail. I was taught never to use water based chemicals as a final wipe down prior to using solvent based paint. Why take the chance. Does not make sense to me. Water and Oil do not mix so why would you want to introduce them into the mix. The point about the acetone is a good one. You would want to see what the mfg says to use for a reducer for the paint and use that as your wipe down agent prior to applying your first coat. This would ensure compatibility of the products. Using nothing but air and a untreated tack cloth is also another good alternative but a damp solvent based cloth, for me, ensures a much cleaner surface, but again, that's just me.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

OP .. you still there ?

I have an '87 18' Sylvan Supersportster. It's in pretty good shape for it's age but of course there are things that need to be done. One thing I'd like to do is repaint. I see this as going one of three ways:

1. paint over existing paint
2. soda blast/remove paint below the spray rails and repaint above (like many modern aluminum boats)
3. remove paint from entire boat and start with new paint from scratch

I'd like to know what you all would do and why.

The obvious easy solution would be to paint over what's already there. Is this an option? If it is what sort of prep work would be needed? All the stripe work on the boat are vinyl so that part 'should' be easy. How about areas where sand/scrapes have taken the paint off, any special prep for those areas?

This room is gettin a little off track IMO .. Did you decide on how your going to approach this project yet ?

Or has your questions not been answered as of yet..

YD.

and2ram

Seaman

Yep I'm still here! Trying to take notes:) There is lots of great advice here, the hardest part for me is translating what's being said into finding all this stuff. I was planning to start with a couple small sections under the boat to get a rhythm down and then moving to the sides. In the end I think I will repaint the whole boat as opposed to waterline up. It would be great if I could find the exact color the boat is now so small mistakes are a little more hidden, unfortunately I don't have a brochure. Thanks everyone!

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

The paints used for this kind of purpose have excellent coverage. There is little risk of old paint showing unless you actually fail to paint a spot.