Is my mercury oil injected?

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey All,

I bought a 88 bullet for $500 and it runs decent (not a bad looking boat for $500).

It takes a minute to start then smokes a little. Sometimes it dies when I try to accelerate so I need to let it sit in idle for a few minutes.

When I bought it they told me it sat for a year and may need the gas cleaned out. I cleaned out the old gas and put new (5 gallons) worth with a can of sea foam.

After the 3rd trip out, I noticed it sounded like gears (or something) were grinding. This is my 2nd boat and I am mechanically dumb.. I did some research and could not find any specs on the motor.

So finally my question is, do I need to add 2 cycle oil to the gas tank when I put gas in it? I did not see anywhere to check or add oil on the engine itself so if I had to make an educated guess, I should have added it to the gas when I put it in.

The only tag I see on the motor has "A128094"

673044191.jpeg20220530_075100.jpg20220530_075110.jpg20220530_075116.jpg20220530_075124.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your motor needs premix if you do not have a separate oil tank

So if you ran your Tower of Power on straight fuel, you killed it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is there a decal that says oil injected ?-----Is there an oil tank anywhere in the boat?-----It is now time for a compression test.-----Sounds like you made an EXPENSIVE mistake !!!-----Yes this motor needs oil / gas mixed at 50:1

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Interesting... The Powerhead looks post 82, the Transom Bracket post 84, the Lower Cowl Cover is pre 79, and the Lower Unit, can't be seen to tell if it pre79 or post 78

Looks like a similar motor as I have - Mine is a Mercury 90 1982). On mine, you have to mix in 2 stroke oil with the gas. So if you put gas in without oil and there's no separate oil tank with oil in it, unfortunately, the motor is probably ruined. Another thing to look for is the 'telltale' water outlet. It's a small hole at the bottom of the engine on the right side. A small stream of water should always be squirting out of this hole when engine is running. (this tells you the water pump is working and the engine is getting the water cooling it needs) This hole often gets clogged with small insects or debris when sitting and will need to be cleared. Often a paperclip can be inserted to clear it, or if you can sprays a small stream of water with a hose nozzle up it, it will clear it out. Never run the engine out f water, not even for a couple seconds. Good luck to you!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On many motors the water that comes out the tell tale does not go through the block.----The tell tale indicates that water pump is working.-----BUT it does not mean that motor is cooling properly !----An inline 6 needs a new impeller every 2 years.----Especially if there is no overheat horn in the control box !

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I installed, on my 84 115, not only the Water Pressure Gauge, but teed the Tube fitting and installed a Pressure Switch that would set an Alarm off when the Water Pressure dropped too low. Annoying I will admit cause it would sound for several seconds until the Block filled and pressure to build up. But it did save the motor the time the Water Intakes on the Housing got covered by a Plastic Bag.

WebbieWorks

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Much appreciate all the replies. Seems I must not have drained all the old gas out because it still is running decent. I added 5 more gallons with a 50:1 oil mix ratio and it seems to be running smoother.

Now it seems like there is a noise coming in and out around the flywheel area on the top.
View attachment vid.mp4

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You might like the fact that it runs.-----Some of us might not like what we hear.------Install a new impeller now.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those inline 6 motors need a new impeller about every 2 or 3 years.----The noise is likely from mechanical issues caused from running on straight gas.-----Loose / scored piston comes to mind.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
While you are adding fuel and oil for premix use no ethanol. You will be happy you did.

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Those inline 6 motors need a new impeller about every 2 or 3 years.----The noise is likely from mechanical issues caused from running on straight gas.-----Loose / scored piston comes to mind.
I have heard others say the same thing. I wonder why that is the true.? Too much friction on the impeller with the pump housing, not enough water flow?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope.----The vanes take a set over time.----Have you tested the overheat horn in the control box if if it has one.----With no tested overheat horn you are taking chances.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
do a compression test. I bet cylinder #3 is low.

running on straight gas will take out the motor. first to go is cylinder #3

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many think that this motor has suffered.----But for the owner----" Hope is eternal "----and we wish him good luck with it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well, it is making some sounds that don't sound normal.