Is my drive shaft jumpin up and down? 72 35 hp water pump issue

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Changed water pump and then no water. Tearing apart and inspecting the impellar showed the top of it heated up against the housin. I think my drive shaft jumps up and down so upon changing out second new water pump i decided to put a piece of garden hose on top of my spline shaft on the retaining bushing to keep the shaft from jumpin up and down. It pumps and i've been out a half dozen times but is it a fix??? what keeps the drive shaft from going up and down or is it just my LU. thanks.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Is my drive shaft jumpin up and down? 72 35 hp water pump issue

It seems the impeller would be restricted in the pump (from my Pics). I wonder if the impeller was slow priming from a lack of water. I get an instant flow deep in a 55 barrel. So instant I question how the thermostat can help the motor warm-up. It probably needs the instant water as lubricant.

Next, the crank to impeller pin would restrict any bouncing if the impeller?s slot is faced down over the pin (if that is correct). I h/n noticed any signs of flat sides wear or retainer on splines. The metal in the impeller?s attachment was to show how pliable w/o cracks the impeller was in 09 (during the replacement) after last checking it in 1985. I feel a different quality of rubber was used back then. Plus, the engine was only used 6-8 short fishing trips 3 summer months only. This summer, it might just get a warn-up in the barrel due to the North, TX drought conditions (since it?s used for fishing only and ?Almost Retired?!

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985  10.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 10.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985  11.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 11.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 4.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Water Pump Checked Last In 1985 4.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 0
  • A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    A Solid TellTale Stream W-O Exhaust (8).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • A Tell Tale Stream Below A Cover Is Best.JPG
    A Tell Tale Stream Below A Cover Is Best.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 0

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

wick, thanks for the pics, i'm bad taking them kinda new to this forum thing. To me it seems that the only thing holding the drive shaft down is the impellar pushing on the pin thus the shaft stays down. On the top of my shaft there is a retaining brass bushing that a lot of people just remove, i've left mine and put about an inch piece of garden hose on it to keep the shaft from jumpin up. i guess i'll update the next time i pull it out with pics.

Tell me in your first picture that something is jambed up in the housing, right? And I agree on the steady degradation of materials/quality as time passes. nice tell tale.

I've never checked my thermostat, don't even know if it has one. But mine exits out the exhaust hole instantly as well.

wickware

Lieutenant

I jammed the lead in there to try and show the old impeller rubber w/n cracking.

Check the info on the 55 HP close to yours on my suggestion X checking the over-heating sensor if you have not. From my experiences since 1984 the 35 - 55 HP related Chryslers are Tuff Reliable Monsters! See temp sensor at the address below if interested.

http://forums.iboats.com/force-chrysler-outboards/1969-chrysler-55hp-5555-a-600108.html

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If the top of the impeller is melting? then there is not enough water getting to the impeller.
If it was jumping? Then when you install it in the head it shouldn't go anywhere, the head pushes it down or holds it from going up.
That brass bushing,it's for holding a rubber sleeve.The sleeve is there to keep the grease around the splines.
Still have the rubber sleeve? Look up inside?
What impeller keeper do you have?Most have a pin through the shaft.
I doubt seriously it's jumping.
Check the thermostat?
Salt/fresh water? Profile? Location?
Salt water on an older motor,it could be clogging up the exhaust,thermo or the head full of salt even hardened mud?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think the 72 35hp is a tough little monster too, fantastic. thanks. for the replies especially about the piece of lead would've never guessed.
jerry, between the motor head to driveshaft connection there is 1/2" play, i've measured it. total height to top of drive shaft to cav. plate. And with a small stick shoved up all the way in the motor head to cav plate. So I'm flying down the lake and imagining my driveshaft jumping up and down...maybe the wording is harsh.... vibrating would be more appropriate word thus not allowing the pump to work correctly thus burning out the top of the waterpump since it goes dry, like you said.
So i'm trying to figure out what holds the driveshaft down besides the impellar friction on the water pump housin. I have the driveshaft with the small pin.

Now that you mention it i'm thinking that sleeve that is missing on mine on top with all that grease helps keep the drive shaft in place, hydraulic pressure, correct or not even close?

i've neglected the thermostat thanks for the pointer.

Last edited:

wickware

Lieutenant

pn, does your pump have the stainless steel looking shims in the top and bottom of the pump (as in the attachments). It appears they would resist some of the impeller?s wear (vs the impeller against a rough surface). Do you have any pics of your impeller and housing?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The impeller and locating pin would stop it from going up.
The spllines don't go all the way to the top of the bottom of the crank.
The 70"s pumps usually didn't have a stainless cup.Just the wear plate.(I think)
Like wick said,PICS???

The rubber thing is a grease cup,that's all.Called a boot.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks jerry and wick for the replies, unfortunately, i don't have any picts, from memory it has a ss bottom wear plate and just the aluminum housing on top which was slightly pitted, i sanded it out. will make sure i'll get pictures next time i tear into the LU which is 2500 miles away in ohio.