Is my boat jinxed?

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought a 1996 Monterey 180 SCR with a 3.0 Ltr LX Mercruiser AlphaOne II in July. Since I bought it I ran it 3 times. So far I changed the gimbal bearing, the 2 u joints, the 2 bellows, the impeller with the seals that go on the outdrive, the alternator, starter, rebuilt the carburator, changed the fuel pump, spark plugs, ignition wires, distributer, rotor, ignition module, propeller 21 pitch to a 19 pitch, battery, then the ignition key mysteriously disappeared so I changed the ignition switch. After all that today I went to start it and water is mixing with the oil in the motor. That never happened before. Is this a problem with the head gasket?

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is my boat jinxed?

It could be, or a cracked block or?.. Start with a compression check!

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll check the compression tomorrow, thanks.

tim24

Seaman

I agree start with a compression test. I have seen cases where a leak pinhole crack in a exhaust manifold allows water into the engine through the exhaust valve/valves this is not always detected by a compression test
.What did the old plugs look like , any sign of moisture? tim24

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

.What did the old plugs look like , any sign of moisture?

The old spark plugs were automotive plugs and they had rust on them. No moisture though.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked out the link, thanks. I used to use a hose connected to ears to supply the motor with water while I ran it on land, the hose had a few leaks in it so the water pressure wasn't to strong. My son changed the hose, so I'm wondering could it be that the water pressure of the hose was to strong and the water backed in through the exhaust valves?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

first off let me say im not a mechanic.
there is guys in this forum that know a whole lot more than ill ever know.

but.......

rust is moisture....

that means water in the cyls....

4 causes.....

cracked block or head.

cracked exaust manifold.

bad head gasket.

bad water back flow valve...(not the correct name and not the cause of water in the oil)

start with a compression check....if good.....pressure test the exaust manifold.

if bad....pull head....examine gasket.

sorry to hear about your problems......but if you dont mind me saying...you are allmost at a brand new motor....it doesnt cost that much for a re-mann block....if the block is cracked.....best to just get a good rebuilt one than junk the whole boat calling it possessed......your allmost home !

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i put water in mine by running the water without engine running, as the bulletin says you need exhaust pressure to keep water out. I turn water on wait for it to reach outdrive and start right away then i shut water off then engine. I have not had a problem since.
I changed the oil and ran it to temp and changed oil again. As far as jinxed i would say no ,it is just a boat i am just glad planes are more reliable then boats.

tim24

Seaman

Due the compression check the plugs, they can be wet with fuel but if they are milky white its water, its not likely that water coud come through because of the water hose pressure unless there is a big crack in the manifold the ctest will tell you a lot tim24

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

then i shut water off then engine.
You should just leave the water on. That is an excellent way of damaging your impeller. Water is not going to getting past the impellor with it not turning so you don't need to worry about water getting in through the exhaust

proxyx

Banned

If you used it so seldom that may be rain water through intake or exhaust issue. You don't get too much frost in July/Aug in Puerto Rick so cracked block is less likely.
Btw. long list of fixes... either you have overenthusiastic mechanic or whoever sold the boat timed it perfectly. First option would be my guess.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked the compression its good, there is no water or moisture on the plugs or in the cylinders, when I run the motor it runs perfect, the only problem is water keeps mixing with the oil. If I cover the hose that goes from the valve cover to the carb, the water and oil comes out of where the dipstick is.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

is your oil level much higher than normal?

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've always been very careful around 'jinxed' boats. I had gremlins some years ago. Took quite a bit to get rid of them. I persuaded them to go back East where the pickin's were easy. I guess they like it.

Knock! Knock! Knock! On Wood:p:rolleyes:

proxyx

Banned

no other way but let oil out and start troubleshooting, water would overfill... this on can be a real *****, exhaust problem would show on spark plugs, head gasket as well (shiny, washed), cracked block could allow water to go straight into the crank case, cracked intake as well... tough call

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Going to remove the head today, hope its the head gasket only. Will keep you posted.

proxyx

Banned

I faced once similar dilemma, this is what I did: removed hose from thermostat to manifolds as well as water supply hose, capped and clamped all of them, used one thermostat hose to fill the engine water jacket with water then capped it with plumbing cap with tire valve installed, pumped it up to i think 30 psi, left tire pump connected and watched pressure on the gauge. Did not drop in 1/2 hr. Then replaced the oil with new one (flushed the engine (engine flush to get rid of sludge) refilled again with clean one left one water hose open and ran the engine without water supply to manifolds (removed impeller). Exhaust gasses only exited trough manifolds. Zero water. I knew then it's a leaking manifold. Now... which one? Removed manifolds, pressure tested them, same technique with a hose and a valve but installed a steel plate between the manifold and the riser, mind you the manifolds and risers looked great. Water and air - about 35 psi. Nothing. Removed risers, put them on the floor upside down and filled water jackets full with WD-40 to penetrate, exhaust pipe was dry and clean at that moment. Left it overnight. Next day one of the risers had dark spots on the inside, the other did not (WD-40 penetrated the pores into the exhaust pipe). It was clear that this riser is leaking. Replaced it and voila. No more water issues.
Took 2 days of tinkering, preparing hoses and install/deinstall diff. configs. Kept the hoses (purchased separately) just in case.
My intention was to isolate engine water jacket from interference of other possible issues. Worked great. If you run the engine on muffs and see steam coming from exhaust - possible exhaust leak. Make the engine run richer (idle screw to the left), clean spark plugs, run the engine. If all plugs are black exhaust is ok. If some are washed - exhaust issue. Water may be enterning the engine from the intake (gaskets or crack). My compression was about 180-185 on all 8 cyl. so I have not suspected any of the cylinder head gaskets.

VictorC2

Recruit

I told you to put a name on the boat that is bad luck in the water :mad: but now you got a good name for it JINXED lol :D