Is it worth it?

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is it worth it?

Well his ad says the interior needs to be redone, great project boat. I hate to get rid of it (then why is he?) The only thing I can say is take it to the lake and see how she runs, engine is the most important thing. Then check the deck (floor) REALLY REALLY good for soft spots. If it has soft places ANYWHERE you'll looking at some major repair work.

Check over the transom for cracks or weakness also.

Check the bilge and engine well, really good to.

Speedometer not working is the least of your worries as it's an easy fix no matter whats wrong with it.

If some interior work really is all it needs then I'd go for it, but check all above first.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Make sure it doesn't have a 470 in it. Old glass boats with leaves in them are typically rotted. If this one is solid (and runs well), it's a very fair price.

drewpster

Commander

It can be assumed from the pictures in the ad that it has been outside. Most sellers assume the boat is solid without doing any real checking, so it is up to you to check closely for signs of rot. Fiberglass boats generally have wooden cores and they are NOT waterproof, only water resistant. Carpet also holds water for long periods and can help things get soft. I recommend you take a screw driver and a mallet with you when you go look at it. It wont tell you much if the cores are borderline, but tapping around the deck will show you badly rotted areas. Start in those areas that are most likely to hold water. (ski lockers, bilge recesses, aft areas, around the edges of the deck, next to seats..ect.) Make sure any hull plugs in boat are pulled and are notholding water. If you find a plug installed, have the owner remove it and watch for water coming out of the hole, even drips
can tell you something. Clear water means it has collected recently. Check the weather in the area for recent rains or snow. Dark brown water coming out of a bildge drain indicates it has held water for a time or the water has been discolored due to rotting wood. Any water is not typically a good sign. At very least it shows the owner has not kept the boat covered. Anyone who has owned an older used boat or owned a boat for a long time period knows leaving them in the elements without at least a cover is a bad thing.
At minimum findig problems at the time of the sale gives you a better idea of what you are getting in to and will help get the price down.

enjoy
drewp