Is it worth it?

Brimauster

Cadet
Hello all, I'm a prospective boat owner in the near future, (after the house is done...:rolleyes:) and I have a line on a used, riveted, 18' Starcraft of unknown year and model, (my next post will have pics and the ID plate #). I looked at it twice, briefly, and it seems as if the owner was in the process of an upgrade, but for whatever reason gave up on it. It has an old Johnson 90 on it, (owner says it worked well last year), and a trailer that will need some work too. He's asking for $1600 bucks.

It is an open bow, dual console with walk-through windscreen. I can see the wood of the transom from inside the cockpit but it looks okay so far, (I'll do the engine shake thing to check for weakness when I go back tommorrow). The floor feels good, but the "bulkheads" for the consoles look a bit moldy 'round the edges. It seems to be the perfect boat for the kid (7 year-old daughter), and I to restore. I've been reading up on the forum here about aluminum vs. FRP, and I feel that Alum. is the way to go = no rot, lighter, trailerable, fresh water lake use, etc... Also, I was an aircraft mechanic in the Navy, and my specialty was structures, ie, rivets and such, so I am quite familiar with the material.

If I can talk the owner into dropping the motor, and just taking the boat and trailer for a lower price project, (re-power with a new motor when done), Are the older Stars' worth the effort? I do not want to get someone else's headache, but the new boats are way too expensive. Plus I talked the wife into letting me get a motorcycle two years ago, so ANOTHER loan is just not do-able.

I've read a LOT of posts here and have got tons of useful info, but just want to get your thoughts on the matter. Oh, one last thing, does anyone else find the mingled aroma of gasoline, seawater, and a mildly mildewed boat cabin intoxicating? I know it sounds weird but that smell triggers very fond memories of my childhood on my Grandpa's 23' Winner back in the '70's...:)

GatorTom

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Is it worth it?

What year is the motor? When you go back to look at it again, try to get the hull id off the boat and the serial number for the motor. Post it on here and someone may be able to help you identify the year. If the hull is in the condition that you say it is, it sounds like a good deal as long as the motor checks out. I would do a compression check and also have him run the motor in a tank for you. That or see if he will drop the price without the motor.

scb2377

Cadet

To buy separately a bigger motor might cost you more than what you are paying now for the whole package. If the motor it has now is good, try the boat on the water and see if you are happy with how it runs, the power, the speed and decide after... unless, you have money to splash on something bigger.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

starcrafts are pretty good boats.price sounds good.a project boat has the advantage over a good running boat when you buy them . a newer boat we throw in the water and off we go.dont even know what we got. it runs so lets go fishing.project boat we know the whole boat carbs transom how to change parts out water pump and all. now with confidence we take the boat out knowing we will get home. see my point..

bogggar1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Licket... thats a great point!!! I had to do alot to my boat/motor when I first got it and now I know exactly what I have. It has been completly rewired, carb. rebuild, impeler replacement, new floor/carpet, new lights, bilide pumps, lower unit oil change, new plugs, trolling plate, cleaned/painted etc. In essence I feel very confident in my boat/motor and have the 'familiarisation' to adress issues that might arise.
BRIMAUSTER... do the nessisary motor tune up/mateiance and give it a chance... new motors can be very expensive esspecialy when the old motor would have been fine if given the chance!!! Do the boat work/motor requirement urself if u feel comfortable [we are here to help u at Iboats]... STARCRAFT boats are great boats... don't let it get away!!!:cool:

Brimauster

Cadet

Well, as promised, here are some pics of my hopefully future project boat. As I stated in my first post from yesterday, I was able to get the seller to keep the engine, dropping the price to $1200. I was unable to talk him down any further. The transom wood looks good, and no flexing when I tried to move the engine. The floor seems okay, but it will get replaced so that I know it is good. The seller says he got it from a small marine repair shop that went out of business. One of the employees was fixing it up for himself, and lost interest, the the place was closed up, and all "assets" were sold at auction. The current owner has no time to finish it. The only data plate I could find was a little metal tag that has a serial # "STRG97691181-A2". I'm going to have a friend who has been a boater for years to come give it a look. Now all I need to do is come up with 1200 bucks.

I look at it this way, I'm going to make this boat a hobby, not just a "job" to be done. It will most likely be the only boat I'll ever own, so I'll take my time and leave no detail overlooked. I don't need a motor while its being refurbished, I'll need one when it's done in a year or two. When it comes time for an engine, I'll shop around for a lightly used one thats two or three years old, as compared to one thats fifteen years old. Yeah, it may cost more than the boat and all it's repairs, but after all the work I'll put into the rest of it, I'll want an engine thats a little more up-to-date.

Attachments

• DCP04638.JPG
    DCP04638.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DCP04644.JPG
    DCP04644.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DCP04643.JPG
    DCP04643.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DCP04640.JPG
    DCP04640.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DCP04642.JPG
    DCP04642.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 1

scb2377

Cadet

I recently bought a 1987 88 Johnson in very good shape, without controls for just about $1200, which I though was good deal. Quotes from marine dealers for simila rmotor were about $2200- 2600. If the motor on the boat is in good shape, might be worth quite a bit more than 400 bucks. Good luck with ytour project.