Is it worth getting a VHF with AIS in it?

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I live in the St Lawerence River area and will be there and on Lake Ontario. My new boat doesn't have a VHF radio on it and I am not sure where to put it yet (Blackfin 212CC with a second screen so not much room) so was thinking of getting a handheld unit until I decide on what I want for placement. Or just holding off for now and going without one.

When I was in my Navionics app yesterday doing some route planning and such. I noticed that the premium subscription that lets me do the charter sync that I want also hooks into an AIS system. I knew of them before and had some decade-old training so I looked into them a bit and it seems you can get them in a VHF radio that isn't much bigger than the others I was looking at. The cost however is much larger. Going from $300-450 CAD to over $1650 CAD for the cheapest one with AIS that connects to my Simrad GPS plus any other parts I might need. I am guessing over a $1500 CAD difference.

I was wondering if for my application there is any value in getting a VHF with an AIS system built into it. I can't see the value but also have limited experience with AIS systems so really unsure. I would need some real value to spend that much extra even though I buy boat stuff just because it's cool this seems like a waste IMO. Do you think I should get a VHF with an AIS system built into it, and if so why?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Buddy has a big sailboat.----Has what is referred to as an antenna farm.----Radar / screen plotter / AIS overlay all on one screen.----You can not have too many gadgets on a boat !!

SkaterRace

Buddy has a big sailboat.----Has what is referred to as an antenna farm.----Radar / screen plotter / AIS overlay all on one screen.----You can not have too many gadgets on a boat !!
What benefits would I see in the area I will be using it?

I found the one I was looking at for a bit cheaper at $959 CAD and the antenna at $199 CAD so might be a bit easier on the wallet but still not sure I get anything I would use other than a gadget. Maybe I am just thinking too much like a back lake boater lol

SkaterRace

The dealer gave me options on where to put it, either in the storage compartment above the helm in the t top or below the steering wheel on the vertical part. I like the lower option since I am short ish at 5ft 6in but the lower option I worry about knee strikes on it. Thoughts?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have been a boater for 55+ years. The Niagara - so on the other end of the lake from you.

After taking my first Boater's Safety Course, back in 1968, I bought a VHF and the longest Shakespeare antenna available. It was a constant companion for many years, talking with other boater, though I never had an emergency to report.

Today things are different. I see very little activity on the VHF. Most everybody I know uses cell phones. Few brand new boats in my area are fitted with antennas any more.

I currently have a handheld VHF in all my boats. Just because. The weather channels are a good thing to have. We also have a cellphone on board. The paper in my glove compartment has numbers for both local County Sheriff marine patrols, Towboat and the local USCG base. The GPS on my Dash units can bring up coordinates, so they can be relayed to the authorities by phone.

IMHO, for inland waters like ours, the VHF is obsolete. For offshore boating, in some places, maybe not so much.

Just my opinion.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
From the price you’re quoting you must be looking at both broadcast and receive AIS.

Boating in busy shipping area, it’s nice to not need to run the radar to keep watch over my shoulder, but as a competitive angler, I have no interest in broadcasting my position to the world

Running a Garmin 215 AIS VHF (receive only) connected to both my chartplotter and fish finder on the NMEA network. The receive only unit was roughly $150 USD over a standard class D VHF

For me, AIS is something that is handy, but probably wouldn’t miss since I have radar to ID targets when push comes to shove.

I would recommend installing radar over AIS if it comes down to one other the other.

SkaterRace

I have been a boater for 55+ years. The Niagara - so on the other end of the lake from you.

After taking my first Boater's Safety Course, back in 1968, I bought a VHF and the longest Shakespeare antenna available. It was a constant companion for many years, talking with other boater, though I never had an emergency to report.

Today things are different. I see very little activity on the VHF. Most everybody I know uses cell phones. Few brand new boats in my area are fitted with antennas any more.

I currently have a handheld VHF in all my boats. Just because. The weather channels are a good thing to have. We also have a cellphone on board. The paper in my glove compartment has numbers for both local County Sheriff marine patrols, Towboat and the local USCG base. The GPS on my Dash units can bring up coordinates, so they can be relayed to the authorities by phone.

IMHO, for inland waters like ours, the VHF is obsolete. For offshore boating, in some places, maybe not so much.

Just my opinion.
There is some local areas a VHF is handy for, example is one place I go for lunch has a rule to use their docks you have to use a VHF to call them for it. Not a cell. Same with the marina I used to store my old boat at, VHF only for the gas and pump outs. I don't expect to go there much but maybe once a year. So not really for contacting other boaters so much as places along the shore I need to contact that don't accept cell calls.

SkaterRace

From the price you’re quoting you must be looking at both broadcast and receive AIS.

Boating in busy shipping area, it’s nice to not need to run the radar to keep watch over my shoulder, but as a competitive angler, I have no interest in broadcasting my position to the world

Running a Garmin 215 AIS VHF (receive only) connected to both my chartplotter and fish finder on the NMEA network. The receive only unit was roughly $150 USD over a standard class D VHF

For me, AIS is something that is handy, but probably wouldn’t miss since I have radar to ID targets when push comes to shove.

I would recommend installing radar over AIS if it comes down to one other the other.
Yes the Simrad RS40-B is a send/receive unit which was my goal but they seem to be the only one that has that currently without an add-on module that is expensive.

I am not worried about others knowing where I am for fishing as I only do that for fun and suck so bad I would not dare compete lol

A Garmin 215 AIS VHF was one I looked at but it received only so I was more inclined to get the Simrad one. But I am looking at the Garmin now the dealer says can't get a Simrad likely by the time I pick up the boat in April.

I don't have radar and while I am planning to install it I am not sure if it is good enough considering the options I have in my price range (low because this is a 21.5ft boat I am keeping for max 5-10 years) are the Simrad/Lowrance Halo 20/20+/24 and I am going with the 20+ I think.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
There is some local areas a VHF is handy for, example is one place I go for lunch has a rule to use their docks you have to use a VHF to call them for it. Not a cell. Same with the marina I used to store my old boat at, VHF only for the gas and pump outs. I don't expect to go there much but maybe once a year. So not really for contacting other boaters so much as places along the shore I need to contact that don't accept cell calls.
Your needs are the same as mine and that's why my handheld works just fine. Personally, I don't see the need for AIS.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Around here, Lake Superior, I only boat around the bay and Apostle islands. You lose cell signals when between islands, and handhelds don't reach to far. So it's good to have AIS. On smaller areas inland it's not needed. It's a good thing to have if you get in trouble.