Is it worth buying a motor with low compression?

ringorock

Cadet
Seems like these things can be had for pretty good prices. I am mechanically included. I'm not a mechanic by trade, but I've never not been able to fix my cars, even complicated repairs. Is there any reason why I'd want too steer clear of one with low compression?

tpenfield

Staff member
Cost of parts may be a deterrent, even though your mechanical skills would be fine.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
condition condition condition... well kept engine overall or full of mice P&S

. if low comp is a blown headgasket .....easy decision

if unequal comp. could be just the gasket

peek inside with a small fiberscope camera .... see scarring on the walls ?? or does it look clean

maybe the seller will let you open the cyl head (it is to his advantage to find the cause) on the smaller engines it is no big deal

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends......
some johnyrude motors are prone to rings breaking, taking out the bores and pistons.......
some may be stuck rings from sitting......
some may be collapsed pistons and egg shaped bores from over-heating.....

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Simply put, its not cost effective for the average Joe who doesn't work on this for a living to buy all the specialty tools required AND the very expensive parts to do a full rebuild of a motor from top to bottom. (Assuming all holes must be bored oversized or sleeved and the machine shop work is done by someone else)

If you get a remanufacturered powerhead from a reputable builder that provides a solid warranty, many are actually fairly competitive in price with what it takes to do it.

Sure, you could hit the lottery in buying a motor with low compression and using a scope camera to see what it might be. However 98% of the time as said above its a broke ring, overheat damage, etc that requires expensive work.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
No idea what motor you are referencing, but $40 or $50 for a parts motor might be a good offer. Find a replacement powerhead.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bottom line is, every engine is repairable. It all depends on how much money you are willing to spend to get that engine running tip top. So the actual answer is, it depends on the individual engine and how it looks, if you should buy it or not.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
Simply put, its not cost effective for the average Joe who doesn't work on this for a living to buy all the specialty tools required AND the very expensive parts to do a full rebuild of a motor from top to bottom. (Assuming all holes must be bored oversized or sleeved and the machine shop work is done by someone else)

If you get a remanufacturered powerhead from a reputable builder that provides a solid warranty, many are actually fairly competitive in price with what it takes to do it.

Sure, you could hit the lottery in buying a motor with low compression and using a scope camera to see what it might be. However 98% of the time as said above its a broke ring, overheat damage, etc that requires expensive work.

I have restored a dozen and some probably a hundred back to life at minima costs . it is not all that bad in the small engine world... big engines , electronics , I agree small stuff , magnetos,...easy fix

He rik

Seaman Apprentice
For me its easy, not especially outboard more in general, No!...unless I need it for spare parts and got it cheap.

If I got a engine that suddenly lost comp. I would certanly rebuilt it but then I already got it and know the history, you know what you got, and to buy a working replacement-engine may end up in the same repair anyway

So, no, I wouldent, better spend what a working motor cost and maybe end up in the same situation in a while but, then you know if the rest is worth the repaircost since you had it for some time.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are many folks on KIJIJI / Craiglist looking for outboard motors in any condition.-----Must be worth fixing if you get enuff of them and cheap.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
all my 50-75 CDN $ oldies on kijiji just needed coils point plug wires condensers impellers, carb kits but mostly a good carb clean-up & elbow grease and all are alive and well sold off six this summer approx $150 CDN refurbished just to recoup my money and buy more oldies (mid 50s to early 70s)

ringorock

Cadet
Thanks, everyone. I don't think I'll be taking this boat out until next season, so I'll be patient and wait around.