IS IT THE STARTER SOLENOID?

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Need a little help with a 2011 Chevy Colorado with the 3.7L I5 engine. Occasionally when I attempt to start it turning to the run position lights up the dash normally, but then when I turn to the key start nothing happens. I know the battery is fully charged. After a while if I try again it may start normally. Now when I used to do some engine work back in the 60s I would think it was the starter solenoid. I took it to the local Chevy dealer service shop and they were totally stumped and because it was running at the time they said there was no way to check anything. I haven't worked on an engine since the 60s, but my question is, with all the new technology, is the solenoid still used as it was in days of old?

Water Logged

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, the starter is relatively unchanged in the past 60 years other than todays starters are PMGR (Permenant Magnet, Gear Reduction)

pull the starter off and take it to a starter shop and have tested. your local GM garage no longer does this

However your colorado has the starter controlled by the BCM

most likely any of the following:

bad connection at the battery
bad connection at the starter
bad BCM (Body Control Module)
bad brake switch (input to BCM that allows start signal)
bad key switch signal (input to BCM that allows start signal)
bad BCM to ECM network communication

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Scott, I kinda figured technology had bypassed me. Been too busy lately to do anything with it but will look for a shop that can handle it.

Glenn

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Quick way to tell if it is the starter failing.When it does not start,take a hammer and give the side of the starter a decent tap .If you can reach the starter,get a heavy pipe and place it on the starter and tap the pipe.If the Chevy starts after this then the starter has a dead spot or is binding and needs replacing or rebuilding.Charlie

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
look on the bright side , at least you can see the starter motor on your truck.

my 2007 Holden Caprice with a 3.6 alloytec you cant even see the darn thing much less get something near it to whack it..
the vehicle has one of those systems where you turn the key to ignition and just leave it till the motor starts . recently an intermittent where the solenoid clicks in but that's it , I'm dreading the job to get the starter out to fix it .

check / replace the key battery , just because it clicks the central locks that does not mean it will activate the start up function on the BCM .

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
After looking around for a shop that would try to check out my problem, I checked with my neighbor who used to drive the MAC TOOL truck in this area. He turned me onto a guy that is supposed to be the go too electronic error fixer. Gonna take it in tomorrow.

Glenn

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
shops these days are good if they can change the oil without leaving the plug out .the people working have no concept of diagnostics .

try the key battery first before messing with the starter motor.

the starters on most 2000 onward vehicles are powered up by a relay , find that and test it .

if above checks OK , test the switch wire that goes to the starter , engine compartment heat can deteriorate that wire or its connector.

from the sounds , you know old school stuff and as posted its pretty much unchanged , just a few extra electronics to deal with., so have a shot at it yourself .

i just diagnosed my Holden Caprice , it was a loose ring terminal to the starter (impossible to see or access without taking half the car apart) , battery to starter wire was fine and switch wire was as well .
after much swearing skin off to access the starter and finding it to be a simple fix i figured since i was this far in to it i would remove the starter motor and give it an overhaul ,
lucky thing i did , the grease in the gear drive was clay + a few other issues like , rust , dirty armature , worn carbon brushes , guessing it would not have been long till the plastic gear drive failed if i had not got to it when i did .
the heat in the engine compartment + the fact the starter is directly below the header pipe contributed to the issues ,so don't be surprised what you find once you start pulling things appart.. .

dolluper

Captain
Thief deterrent module by the key tumbler is not signaling the bcm.. Try a different key..first
Or if you have a phone charger close to the key move it away to other side of radio

Last edited: