Is It The Gauge or Float?

Mark812ic

Recruit
Hi All,
I have a 86 Sport Craft with a Sterndrive. I actually have a couple questions.

1. My Gas Gauge won't read below 1/2. I can kno0ck on the metal tank and it will sound empty, I can put 10 Gallons in and it will then read Full. There is a metal plate screwed onto the top of the tank with 4-5 screws. I'm assuming this is the sending unit and/or the float assy? What is the issue The Gauge and/or The Float (Sending Unit)

2. How do I know what size take I have?
Thank you to all in advance.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is It The Gauge or Float?

those 4-5 screws are for the sending unit.remove it and i bet you can get full range of movement from gauge now. you should now be able to see your problem

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the sender is bad you don't need to know the capacity of the tank. You only need to know it's depth. With the sender removed you can measure that.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

Take out the sending unit and move it up and down and see if the guage responds fully. Maybe it was never set up right or something. When I bought my boat the guy was trying to explain how to read the gas guage and tell me how much fuel was in the tank at certain points and how much was left when it was on empty. When I got home I took it apart and adjusted the float the way it was supposed to be and now it reads correctly. Hopefully its just something simple.