Is it safe to use a wire wheel brush on aluminum to strip paint?

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was always told it was a "no-no" on aircraft because of dissimilar metal corrosion but I see some people do it on here with boats. Is it a problem?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it safe to use a wire wheel brush on aluminum to strip paint?

I think you can use a brass brush with a light touch.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

How big of job we are talking about? Acetone or lacquer thinner will do the job on a small scale. A paint striper will be more efficient on a big job.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I have had success using a 3M abrasive wheel on a cordless drill, no metal issues there.

Also I've been happy with Citristrip, since it will take all paint off easily with only one or two applications. This way the aluminum will not be damaged or scratched at all.

If you are gonna use a wire wheel, make sure it's stainless or brass to be safe.

jtrom

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a 15 ft 1959 starcraft jet............I'll probably just use stripper and a hand held wire brush for the stubborn areas...........This is off this subject but I am confused on how to re-buck rivets by hand......I've been told you use the bucking bar on the INSIDE and hit the outside (head of rivet) with a ball peen hammer...also heard you reverse it (hammer on in side of boat, bucking bar on head of rivet)...which is correct?