Is it OK to charge a starter battery connected?

Expidia

Commander
I've always been in the habit of disconnecting the positive cable before I put a charger on my batteries.

But if I need to charge my starter battery which is now a starter/deep cycle, my cables are bolted on. If I clip a charger on to the terminals without disconnecting the cable is there a possibility I could do damage to the O/B and boat's electronics?

I ask this because I have several built in Minn Kota DC female sockets that I use to plug my troller battery into to charge at the end of the day, but the troller is unplugged when I re-charge the battery.

I was thinking of making up a female Minn Kota plug with two pigtails that can bolt onto the starter motor battery's posts. There are times (like oncoming thunderstorms) where I've been running that battery down for several hours with the stereo, so I high tail it back to the ramp but not a long enough ride to top off the battery.

I don't want to lessen the life of the new dual purpose battery I just installed by not keeping it full after the boat goes back on to the trailer.

When I get back to the motel, should I unplug the positive terminal before charging the starter battery.

Actually, now that I've given this some thought after I asked the question . . . I realized I have a Perko type switch mounted on top of the starter battery that shuts off all power and I lock the battery hatch and it serves as a kill switch plus no power going to the electronics when I leave the boat.

Follow up: I forgot I installed the Perko. So when I clip on the charger to the battery when that switch is in the off position, it's the same as disconnecting all wires to the positive terminal. I could even attach a permanent charger pigtail to the battery too.

Question asked and answered.

Thx

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is it OK to charge a starter battery connected?

Expidia,

I wouldn't think it would hurt the motor any. They do sell on board chargers
that hook to the battery with terminals. Then you just plug them in.

Don

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm not sure frequent recharging "just in case" is a good idea. If you find that frequently your battery isn't strong enough, consider some power alternatives.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I'm not sure frequent recharging "just in case" is a good idea. If you find that frequently your battery isn't strong enough, consider some power alternatives.

Actually it is. It's far better to keep your battery fully charged then to leave it partially discharged.

Also there is no problem leaving your engine connected to the battery while charging as long as the engine is not running.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually it is. It's far better to keep your battery fully charged then to leave it partially discharged.

Also there is no problem leaving your engine connected to the battery while charging as long as the engine is not running.

Agree, once the key is off that motor is out of the circuit.

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea its ok to leave the wires hooked to the battery. just disconnect the charger befor cranking over the engine. Its also ok to leave it on while just using the accessories. as long as the actual amperage draw doesnt exceed the chargers out going amperage. after all it is all 12v DC voltage. no need to worry about phasing or harmonic imballance, also agree dont run the engines charging system at the same time. Even though there is a diode that will help prevent most back feed to the charging system. but you dont want to risk it..
I personally use a trickle charger-battery tender when not in use.

Expidia

Commander

Thx for all the responses :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your outboard charges it while it is connected. I don't see any problem with using a charger to do the same thing.