Is it locked up?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is it locked up?

You might have to pry it a bit... should drop pretty easily... there are 2 wires that run down the mid section to the LU... they connect I know right below the block and I don't remember seeing any other place to disconnect them... so you might have to feed them back threw with a wire (coathanger to pull wires up)<br /> other then that theres just the drive shaft.... pretty easy going. Lets us know what you find :)

cnixon

Cadet

well, the lu is locked up tight. It looks very dry and there is a lot white corrosion and rust. Bet it sat all winter with the vent plug missing. Looks like I am going shopping for a lower unit.

cnixon

Cadet

I have a local guy that says he can replace gears and bearings very cheap. Do you think it is worth giving him a try, and how do I know it is not a solenoid problem?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

If you give the soleniods 12v they should move...or try to... at least click... <br />If you get that outta them... then send if off for repairs...<br /><br />Oh yes.. I take it the motors not locked up???<br />I'll let you know when I'm in KC next.... So you can fire up the grill...lol

cnixon

Cadet

You do that. I will either fire up the grill or buy lunch at Gates, or one of the other great KC BBQ joints. This guy seems very sharp, just got back from dropping lower unit off at his place. Both solenoids are working. Now all I need to do is find a trailer. Cant keep it on this borrowed one for to long. The motor is not locked up!! <br />:)

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Keep his number... if I ever need lower unit work done I'll drive it down to him.... We try to make it down there at least once a month to visit some friends... was just there week and a half ago. There is some fine BBQ in KC... <br /><br />Keep us posted and be sure to ask anymore questions you might have.... I'll help out as much as I can... but some of these guys can give you an answer like no other!!

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

maybe, but you're doing a great job so far Dave.<br /><br />cnixon, This is real important, and seems to that no-one has mentioned it yet. <br />When you get your LU back, you MUST use the correct oil in it. This oil used to be called OMC type "C". It is now sold at your Evinrude dealer as BRP Premium Blend. It is the ONLY oil that you can put in the electric shift LU's if you want them to work correctly.<br /><br />It comes in a squeeze bottle, you take both plugs out of the side of the LU, and push the tip of the nozzle into the fill hole, this the one on the bottom. Squeeze the oil in until you see it come out of the oil level hole, this is the one on top. When it comes out this hole, put the plug back in (with a new washer to make sure it doesn't leak) and then quickly remove the bottle and put the plug in the bottom hole(same deal with the washer). <br /><br />Back over to you Dave!

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Actually. lark... I mentioned that in one of my earlier post. <br /><br />"The lower plug is almost to the very bottom of the LU.... where it starts to curve back under is where you'll find it. Same side as the upper. LU Fluid is type c or Premium from Dealer...uses special oil they do"