Is it locked up?

cnixon

Cadet
I just inherited a very clean 1970 Silverline Comaro with a 115 HP Evinrude. Talking to neighbor, he told me it was running great last year when put up on dock hoist. I cant even turn the motor over. I pulled plugs and tried again, still no luck, not even manually by hand. Any suggestions?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is it locked up?

Sounds like it could be but check the lower unit first. Might be something in there and not the block

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Yep...what Dave said. Put the engine in neutral and see if the prop spins or drain the gear lube and take a look at it. Might tell you a lot.

cnixon

Cadet

With engine in neutral, prop spins easily, however, it does make some clicking noise.

cnixon

Cadet

With engine in neutral, prop spins easily, however, it does make some clicking noise.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

What year motor is this??? <br />(wondering if this is electric shift)<br />If unsure what do the controls look like... three button push? (foward,nuetral, reverse)

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

Will the engine turn freely while in neutral. If it does then the lower unit is locked up. If you cnt rotate the wheel clockwise by hand then the rings are likley rusted to cylinder walls. <br /><br />Spray a good bunch of wd40 into each cylinder and let it sit for a few hours and see if it will losen up.<br /><br />If it does then that whats the problem was. Hower ever I would pull the heads and see what kind of shape the cylinder walls are in. <br /><br />If not to bad you can propably just clean em up with some 220 grit emery cloth and wet down with wd40. finish with crocus cloth.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Good Luck!

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

But with electric shift... default is foward ... he would not be able to get to neutral with out it running correct?

cnixon

Cadet

It is electric shift, I went out and looked at it a little closer, prop spins clockwise with a springloaded type clicking sound and some resistance, will not spin counterclockwise at all. No battery hooked up right now. Will electric shift shift to neutral with battery hooked up, or does it need to be running?<br /><br />PS Thanks already for the info

cnixon

Cadet

Thought I would go drain lower unit fluid. I thought there would be two plugs, one upper and one lower. I can only see the upper, and the plug is missing, just a open hole........not a good sign.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You may have found the answer you didn't want to find....<br /><br />If the engine is a (I think) 69' to 72' I don't think the prop should spin freely. As Dave posted, these engines defauled to forward.<br /><br />I think what I would do is drop the lower unit and see if this frees the block up. If it does, problem in lower unit.<br /><br />Could you post the model number of the engine? Would help a little.<br /><br />EDIT: It's probably a 70'. Did a little checking and the 115 was available in 69' and 70'

cnixon

Cadet

model # 115083 according to Evinrude Web site it is a 1970. It is an electric shift. How bad is it if the problem is in lower unit? I am pretty handy, just no experience with marine. I wonder if I could make repairs, or should consider other options?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Might be telling you the lower unit is shot... and not the upper... bad part is finding a lower unit for these things. I guess it depends on whats wrong with it. Your close enough to the Ozarks tho you could call down there to find a used one if need be and you can't find one in KC <br /><br />On mine if I turn it clockwise I get the clicking.. counter turns motor. <br />I don't believe you will have nuetral unless the motor is running. LU works on selenoids. I believe in order for you to have reverse or nuet. it's gotto be running. The lower plug is almost to the very bottom of the LU.... where it starts to curve back under is where you'll find it. Same side as the upper. LU Fluid is type c or Premium from Dealer...uses special oil they do<br /><br />I've got a 70 115 I feel your pain

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

First off get a manual.... Helped me out bunches... I like you am pretty handy... with very little marine experience. The help is here but get a manual for your motor..<br /><br />I've got the same motor as you so like I said... I feel your pain!!! :)<br /><br />Is this boat on a lift still or is it trailered???

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Another I might add... These seem to be good motors with most parts readily avaiable. There easy to work on if you've got three wrenches... 7/16 1/2 and 9/16. <br /><br />Bet ya some grilled burgers it's not the Motor locked up.. (I'm in KC often through out year lived in Blue springs for about 2)<br /><br />Personally... if ya got it cheap it's worth the money to fix it. Reading these posts... all motors have problems it doesn't matter if there 5 years old or 30

cnixon

Cadet

Right now it is on a borrowed trailer. Estate had to be sold so I had to go get it. I am looking for a trailer if anyone has any suggestions? The boat was a one owner, and has been kept on a hoist under a covered dock all of its life. The lower unit was submersed even when hoisted, so it is covered with Lake of the Ozarks growth. Probably why I cant find lower plug.The thing that confuses me is that the neighbor who was also my uncles fishing buddy says it was working great last year. Why would a lower unit go bad just sitting? Could it have gotten water in and be rusted? Maybe just some cleaning or bearings? Just wondering?

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

If the plug came out... water could get inside um and freeze.... and expand... even if there was a leaking seal. My neighbor had that prob... ended up replacing the lower unit. <br /><br />Since it was submerged... I can only guess thats what happened. Pull the lower unit 6 bolts. 4 towards front one under cav plate and one under trim tab. Take a look at it. While it's off try to turn the flywheel by hand. DO NOT run motor without LU. If it's turns it's your lower unit. LU parts are pricey specially for electrics. One would be better off buying a used unit. (boat yard/ebay)<br /><br />When it's off see what you can find... <br /><br />Mine had probs... it's mis matched from before I bought it.<br /><br />not sure yet if you need one or if it would even fit... ebays got one for 250 off a 73 55. type in evinrude electric lower unit..... ends in a day though.

cnixon

Cadet

Thanks Dave, I am just outside Blue Springs in Odessa. Pulled lower plug, nothing, no water or oil. The water line is just below the upper plug about 6 inches. I got it cheap enough, inherited it for free. It is extremely clean. Steering turns freely, throttle seems to operate fine. Boat has been very well maintained. Another reason I am confused about the missing vent plug. I really am wondering if it was lost during service after it was parked, and then before finding it and finishing he died.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Either that... or found the lower unit locked up and never put it back on... Pull it... see what you can find. it won't cost you anything to pull it look at it and see whats up.. <br /><br />If you decide you don't want to keep the motor... let me know I might be intersted in it<br />Good parts are hard to find... :)<br /><br />I still think it would be worth a fixin

cnixon

Cadet

When I pull it, Will it just drop free or am I looking for wires, cables, other internals to take it off? One way or another I will fix it. If I have to replace it I will search for a good used one, ebay, boat salvage etc...