Is it Al Gore, or are the people out of whack?

eeboater

Commander
Re: Is it Al Gore, or are the people out of whack?

Yup yup... Al Gore, what a hoot... Pass da beernuts.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I knew half of the people sharing the road with me are morons, but now I have proof. :( <br /><br />Now find me a quote where President Bush said Iraq was responsible.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just further proof that opinions and beliefs can be manufactured without any relationship to truth.<br /><br />That includes many accusations that "We knew. . . ." and that GWB lied. Congress had all the input that he had. That includes Hilary, Kerry and their left wing pals. They voted to invade. That a lot of that input was wrong is now clear, but the part that DJ mentions was correct, and is still correct.<br /><br />In the late 30s "everyone knew" that Hitler was no menace to us, nor was Japan.<br /><br />"Everyone" can be wrong and have been wrong many times in the past.

PW2

Commander

1) There are lots of quotes out there of Cheney specifically saying that Iraq was responsible for 9/11, and Bush clearly implied it, if he didn't say it outright.<br /><br />JB, Congress did not "vote to invade" They voted to authorize the President to invade. There is a significant difference.<br /><br />Just as it is standard practice for a labor union to vote to authorize a strike prior to negotiations. The leader must have a hammer he can use if things get tough--if he has no hammer to use, he is effectively powerless. The rank and file do not necessarily want to strike--they realize their leader must have that power to be effective.<br /><br />In the same way, if the president did not have the backing of the congress, his pushing of Saddam would have been toothless.<br /><br />That being said, it worked, and we had forced weapons inspectors in there. And then inexplicably we invaded.<br /><br />I think if Gore said that, he was absolutely correct. Even if he had WMD's, he had no way to deliver them, and was in a box with the US imposed no-fly zone. He certainly posed no immediate threat to us, and even Israel was more concerned with Iran and Iraq's other neighbors than they were with Saddam...<br /><br />But, of course, if terrorists weren't there before we invaded, they certainly are there now.<br />And in this I do agree with Bush--we've got to figure out a way to win this thing. I don't know how to do that at this point, but my hunch is it is going to take a whole lot more troops.<br /><br />And the president and the generals have to level with us, tell us the reality of the mess we are in, and how to extricate ourselves from it--and abandon the tired platitudes and rosy scenarios.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

Congress did not "vote to invade" They voted to authorize the President to invade. There is a significant difference.<br /><br />You're absolutely right, Congress voted to allow the Commander in Chief to order troops into Iraq; in essence, "Mr President, as Commander in Chief you have our permission to invade Iraq if you deem it necessary".<br /><br />There can be no qualifiers later, no delayed equivocation - it was a very public "Yes" or "No", and "Maybe" wasn't a choice. <br /><br />Just as it is standard practice for a labor union to vote to authorize a strike prior to negotiations.<br /><br />And those rank and file who do not wish to see a strike take place usually vote "No". If a strike is called and works out, you won't find many "No" voters; if one is called and doesn't work out, not many "Yes" voters will stand up to be counted. Except that Congress doesn't have the luxury of secret ballots that can later be polluted with bovine facal matter. And for someone to say an invasion was authorized for the sake of negotiations is purely that - bovine fecal matter.

jimonica

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Congress had all the input he had"<br /><br />Where do think Congress got their input from? From the Bush administration and his national intelligence team. And to quote the Downing Street Memo "the intelligence was being cooked".<br /><br />The Republicans went ape sh** when Dan Rather quoted a forged document and was consiquently forced to take an early retirement. How come no one was fired for quoting the forged sale of Yellow Cake Uranium document? <br />Lets look at what turned out not to be true on the run-up to war. <br /> Aluminum tubes: not suitable for nuclear weapons.<br /> Unmaned Drones: not suitable for delivering WMD. In fact they were made from 2 stoke weed wacker engines and balsa wood.<br /> Mobile Chemical Weapons Lab: turned out to be some kind mobile weather baloon station.<br /> The Iraqis would welcome us with chocolates and flowers.<br />And three weeks into the war Bush landed on an aircraft carrier and declared "Major combat operations are over".<br />If the Bush team really believed that Sadam had a nuclear weapons program, where are all the scientist? He should be hunting down all of Iraq's top scientist before some other country gets a hold of them and is able to produce WMD. You know why Bush does not have an all out man hunt for all these nuclear scientist? Because there never were any and he knows it! <br />Lets wake up and smell the coffee! We got lied to. And if we didn't get lied to, then they're incompentent. Either way they should be run out of office.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I think we need to resurrect Paul Wellstone. He'll make it all right for us. ;)

jimonica

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Boomyal! Paul Wellstone would have made a great President!

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Who is (was) Paul Wellstone?

D

DJ

Paul Wellstone was the most liberal Senator in the Senate. He was from Minnesota.<br /><br />The Democratic Party turned his funeral into a fund raiser, much to their later criticism.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was Wellstone the dead guy that John Ashcroft lost to in his senate race?

D

DJ

No.<br /><br />Ashcroft lost to the wife of a deceased Senator. I forget the name, at this time. It was a pity vote. She was later defeated, never had a full term.

Skinnywater

Commander

between a third and a half still believe
It sounds pretty acurate to me. Maybe not the specifics regarding Saddam.<br />But the general statistic regarding gullibility, denial and ignorance sounds right.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Leno isn't planting those people on his 'JayWalks'. What we don't know is how many people they need to go through in order to come up with the 'special' ones that make the cut for the video. Would be interesting to find out that proportion.

Realgun

Commander

Would be interesting to find out that proportion.<br />
That Ratio is 3:1<br />Oil and gas are mixed 50:1 :D <br /><br />BTW its AlGORe.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

algore.jpg
<br /><br />Any questions?

KRS

Banned

[chanting] KEEP IT ON, KEEP IT ON, DON'T TAKE OUR INTERNET OH GREAT ONE, KEEP IT ON!

KRS

Banned

The sarcasm should be evident, but for those that didn't get it... I'm stating it here.

D

DJ

Leno isn't planting those people on his 'JayWalks'. What we don't know is how many people they need to go through in order to come up with the 'special' ones that make the cut for the video. Would be interesting to find out that proportion.<br />
Sean Hannity does the same thing, on radio-LIVE!<br /><br />The average, on the street, in the middle of the day, American is a MORON!

txswinner

Banned

You right wing pukes, if it were not for Al Gore we would not even have this internet to argue over!!!