Is it a "sin" to use AN style hose fittings below the waterline?

savery

Seaman Apprentice
I have some raw water plumbing to re-do. Since there are a few "complex" runs I was doing some brainstorming and I remembered helping a friend assemble some braided stainless hoses for a car build. So I thought to myself... why not use that in lieu of the tried and true hose barb and double hose clamp? If the performance/racing car crowd trusts them to hold 15 PSI coolant, 100 PSI engine oil, etc I don't see why relatively low pressure raw water would be a problem.

Anyone know if this goes against best practices? Can't say I've ever personally seen it on any type of watercraft, but that very well could be due to the fact that the money spent on stainless fittings (I would not use aluminum) and hoses for one run would probably buy a lifetime supply of rubber hose and hose clamps. However, the gains in longevity, durability and ease of use (no more busted knuckles trying to pull a hose off of a termination!) would be huge advantages in my mind.

Some examples of what I'm talking about for those not familiar:
http://anfittingguide.com/install-ptfe-hose-fittings/
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=PTFEHOSE

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your running hydraulics, it is done all the time, expecially with hydraulic transom lifts. they are also inspected semi-annually because failure to run zincs means the hydraulic fittings become sacrificial.

if you are running a thru-hull below that waterline. the law does not recognize a threaded connection and specifies the two clamps for redundancy and you should only run Marelon or naval brass below the water line - No stainless

stainless tends to suffer crevice corrosion.

threaded stainless connections such as JIC fittings or AN fittings under the waterline also tend to corrode themselves together

sub-see connections are threaded and o-ringed, then welded in place to prevent leaks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
if you are running a thru-hull below that waterline. the law does not recognize a threaded connection and specifies the two clamps for redundancy and you should only run Marelon or naval brass below the water line - No stainless
No brass… bronze only
Brass is copper /zinc alloys
Bronze is a copper/ tin alloys

Alloy c46400, “naval brass” is 60% copper, 39.2% zinc, and .75% tin

Last edited: