Is iBoats next?

sloopy

Commander
HEy guys,<br /> I don't know if anyone has heard of the websites sailnet,com and boatscape.com but if you have you would know that they filed bankruptcy sometime this year. This shocked me because both of those sites started out much like iboats.. as a place for boaters to get together and discuss boating topics, eventually these sites turned into stores and now they are gone. What gets me is that they were owned by a company called MArinenet, which I think (if I heard correctly please don't take this as fact) also owns or is a shareholder in iBoats. Marinenet is also filing for bankruptcy from what I have heard. <br /> So here is my guestion, Is our dearly beloved iboats ok? Does Marinenet own own Iboats? and does anyone know what happened to sailnet and boatscape.<br /> I used to be a regular visitor to this site but now being in college I have no time to post and raise hell, so please forgive me if this has been brought up. <br /> Admin5, if you are still here, how have you been? how is iboats doing? feel free to email me at mcfad0a3@erau.edu<br /><br />Take it easy guys, <br /> lets keep this the best boating site on the web :)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Is iBoats next?

How many posts does it take to achieve the rank of "Dock Boy".

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

BB... It's not quantity, it's content :D ...Ther's only one Dock Boy!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

We know nothing.<br /><br />But thats a cool school you're going to !! :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Hey Sloopy!! So that's where you've been hiding!<br />Good to see that you are still breathing and typin, my young friend!<br /><br />I don't know nuthin iether,but suspect iboats is in better shape to handle ups and downs than most other marine/fishing sites.<br /><br />The admin set it up differently in the very beginning. At first, it was a close-run thing, but it paid it's own way shortly after that, and pays as it goes.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As far as I know:<br /><br />Marinenet does not own even the tiniest part of iboats. iboats is a family owned business.<br /><br />iboats is thriving, one of the fastest growing businesses in the country. :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /> iboats is thriving, one of the fastest growing businesses in the country. :)
and the largest web based marine chandlery in the world!

sloopy

Commander

I would still like to know for sure. but Marinenet owns many of the companies iboats covers. Maybe Admin or bruce could tell us how this is effecting iboats. Boating websites are dropping like flys, Defender.com may be next. I would like to know if this has helped or hurt iboats.<br />btw I have nothing against this site or the iboats company. It just seems odd that this has not been brought up.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by SLOOPY:<br /> I would still like to know for sure. but Marinenet owns many of the companies iboats covers. Maybe Admin or bruce could tell us how this is effecting iboats. Boating websites are dropping like flys, Defender.com may be next. I would like to know if this has helped or hurt iboats.<br />btw I have nothing against this site or the iboats company. It just seems odd that this has not been brought up.
I am sure that if iboats' competition went belly-up, iboats would have an increased market share by the same amount of competitor's losses.<br />IOW, Less competition=greater market share.<br />How could their collapse individually harm iboats, Sloopy?

Dunaruna

Admiral

There is a voluntary bankruptsy petition posted on the WWW, it is dated 7/25/05 and is very detailed. It lists all the debtors & creditors.<br />i-boats is not listed on it.<br /><br />Even if marinenet was a shareholder in iboats, the amounts involved are not large. I doubt if it would cause a blimp on the radar.<br /><br />Aldo

Dunaruna

Admiral

It's a PDF document, how do I post a link to a PDF? (I tried but it doesn't link).<br /><br />EDIT: go to google, type in 'marinenet bankruptsy petition'. It's the first site listed.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> It's a PDF document, how do I post a link to a PDF? (I tried but it doesn't link).<br /><br />EDIT: go to google, type in 'marinenet bankruptsy petition'. It's the first site listed.
Here it is.<br /> http://www.coastnews.net/sailnetpetition.pdf#search='marinenet%20bankruptcy%20petition'

Realgun

Commander

I dont' care as long as iBoatas is around. Never even heard of marinenet.

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went to visit Iboats about a year ago, something to do with my work. The president told me about expansion plans in the works. They were supposed to move into the new part of the building last May. Maybe Admin5 could enlighten us. Mark.

sloopy

Commander

marinenet was kinda like iboats, but owned all of the various stores. Some of these stores can be found on iboats websites and now these stores are out of business. This could be a good time for iboats to step into the sailing market ;) ... I still want to hear from the founders of iboats on whether this has effected them in a good way or even if they have heard of it!<br /><br />-Bill