is a 60hp outboard too small for this boat

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The older motors were often lighter than modern motors !!!----A 1972 model 125 EVINRUDE was listed at 252 LBS----A much newer Evinrude V-4 90 was at 301 lbs.-----A 1953 model 25 was listed at 85 lbs ------The 71 model 25 was much lighter ( 80 lbs ) then a newer 1982 25 HP at 101 lbs.

flashback

Captain
I have a hydroplane I built with dads help in 1961 called a scat cat he found a 18 HP merc that was less than 100 lbs. Still have the boat,a few years ago I thought about finding a motor but nothing is available these days that comes close..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Guess I should have run numbers. They just looked like behemoths.....

Is your hydro a round nose? My dad a some performance Merc 10/9.9hp.... Forget the model of engine.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When I look at say a 1963 Johnson 10 HP it is big.-----When you take the cowling off everything is easy to work on.----It weighs 64 lbs I believe.-----Some modern 5 HP 4 strokes weigh in at 60 lbs.-----Yes the Mercury " super 10 " was actually about 16 HP they say.----And no reverse gear to rob power.

Last edited:

flashback

Captain
Guess I should have run numbers. They just looked like behemoths.....

Is your hydro a round nose? My dad a some performance Merc 10/9.9hp.... Forget the model of engine.
It is, I saw it in popular mechanics and pop said he would help build it LOL. we got the plans and he did the cutting and I got to do the glue and screw, along with the sanding and painting.. motor lasted a couple of summers, I blew it up and the boat has been in the shed ever since. Probably best that I didn't get it going!

so

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you simply want to have an awesome time with your family and make memories for a lifetime, what you have now will be fine.
That.

just did compression test, two of them have 125 and one has 130.

i think i'll stick with this oldie for now.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
the boat has been sitting for a while. To awake the outboard, should i spray some gasoline/2 stroke oil mixture into the cylinders first?

i know other items include; clean the plugs, use new fuel
Recapping what has been said and adding my 2c:

Check the fuel lines in the engine and replace if needed...cracks/leaking at connections...remove one and Q-Tip wipe the inside...if any black rubber specks replace all the fuel lines.....also the fuel line and bulb between engine and tank....and replace the fuel filter....surely it has one on the engine...been a long time since i saw a vintage OMC looper.

Then the impeller in the water pump needs replacing and the lower unit gear oil also. If anything but black, blue black, you have a seal leaking somewhere...drive shaft under the water pump, prop shaft at the propeller, service screw seals on the LU....vent and drain plugs.

New spark plugs and carb kits would also be a good idea. Lubricate the "Bendix" on the starter. Add a fresh battery. Fuel-oil ratio is 1 pint TC-W3 oil to min 87 octane 6 gallons of gas.....oil in the LU is 90w premium marine...Walmart has both is the sporting goods section.