is a 60hp outboard too small for this boat

so

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just picked up this boat, a 1967 20' Bellboy cuddy (couldn't find much specs on this line of boat online.), more or less a project, it came with a 65hp Evinrude. just toying with the idea of getting a new 4 stroker, would a 60hp be too small for it? a suzuki DF60 would set me back around $7k.

what are some good sites to shop for outboards, both new and used, besides craigslist?

here's a pic of the boat.
20230124_071319.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
About 120 HP would move that boat nicely.------And 20 HP would be nice for fishing " performance" so to speak.

briangcc

Commander
Your favorite marina for new. Let them rig it. You're looking at possibly new gauges, wiring, and maybe controls/steering cables. Keeps the factory warranty you are paying for intact. No guessing as to who did what.

BTDT when I went from a 120HP Force to a 115HP Honda 4 Stroke. Tach changed, controls changed, and they installed a new key switch.

**Depending on the marina, you may find used motors as well.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I spent over 6 months searching for used outfits that were still owned by original owners. Also wanted boats that were stored inside. Yep....long hard search, had to drive 200 miles, but found what I wanted, in near mint condition !! New are priced out of site....I could go thru 3-4 used motors and still spend less than a new one !! A few gallons of fuel savings is not worth it, not to me....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I would try it. My rule of thumb is it the boat makes 35MPH, you are good. I think that 65HP motor will not do that, however.

A guess would be a 90HP or greater motor to get 35MPH. JMO

so

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If existing motor runs decent give it a go and see if it makes you smile..
the boat has been sitting for a while. To awake the outboard, should i spray some gasoline/2 stroke oil mixture into the cylinders first?

i know other items include; clean the plugs, use new fuel

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Here you go.
Spend a little time reading this tutorial on how to revive a dormant outboard.

Reactions: so

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the boat has been sitting for a while. To awake the outboard, should i spray some gasoline/2 stroke oil mixture into the cylinders first?

i know other items include; clean the plugs, use new fuel
I would read the thread linked above. in addition, pull the lower, change oil and install a new waterpump.

Reactions: so

flashback

Captain
All good info, you may have a perfectly fine motor, provided you stick with the above advise..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I'm in the 90hp camp too. I have a 60hp 4 stroke on my 16' crestliner fishing boat, it's rated for a 90, and it dies 33mph... Do u know the weight?100_1273.jpg

so

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just wanted double check, this means it's a 73 (year), right ?
20230124_092410.jpg

WIMUSKY

Staff member
i think the boat itself is about 1500lb, according to some site. that probably does not include the motor.
Given that weight I don't think I would go any less than a 90 if not a 115 if you decide to repower. Hopefully you can get the 65 going and test it out.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It would be the transom condition I’d worry about first. Then I’d think about engine size perhaps

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you are a "regular" guy and need the utmost speed, you will need a bigger motor.

If you simply want to have an awesome time with your family and make memories for a lifetime, what you have now will be fine.

The caveat is that the motor is in good condition and runs well. ANY motor (within reason) can make a boat go perfect as long as the propeller is optimized for proper rpm.

Regardless, based on your pics, and the age of the boat, it looks like a project. Don't spend a dime until you find out that the rig is serviceable.

If you can get it to run and not sink, you can always get a bigger motor later.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Another thing, in 1967, the largest Johnnyrude was likely 90HPV4 or maybe less. Obviously OB boats of that era were made to run with less power and had lower max HP ratings. In addition, hulls were designed to run with those lower HP motors. Adding more power to those, may not increase speed. Trimming them often also does not add speed. I had a '64 14' Crestliner. It was rated for a 40HP OB. It ran 24MPH with a 35HP motor. I put a 50HPV4 on it. Overpowering it did not increase speed much, say 3 MPH. It did add a lot of power though. She was real quick to achieve that 27MPH. I obviously had expected more.

I still think you should try the current motor and see what it has.

Experiment with the trim pin setting. Start all the way in and see what max speed you can get with a GPS. Run both ways on the water and get average. Now move pin out one hole and retest. Now two holes out and retest.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Johnson / Evinrude had a very good 100 HP motor in 1966.-----Battery 12 volt ignition and a bullet proof electric shift.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Another thing, in 1967, the largest Johnnyrude was likely 90HPV4 or maybe less. Obviously OB boats of that era were made to run with less power and had lower max HP ratings. In addition, hulls were designed to run with those lower HP motors.
I believe another factor in lower hp back in the day is the weight of their power plant hanging off the transom. Motors were tanks back in the day. I couldn't believe how much a 72 18hp evinrude weighed, earlier motors were heavier yet.

Today they weigh half as much and have twice the power. I don't know the real numbers but y'all get the idea... So a higher hp on the same hull shouldn't be an issue. We all have seen older repowered hulls.... Can always control the speed with the lever on the right...A newer FI motor would be very dependable and virtually maintenance free.... jmo. But yup, see if the current motor will work..