Is a 21ft starcraft mariner too big?

matrob

Cadet
I have been looking for a dual purpose boat all summer. I plan on fishing inland lakes but also want to have the option of going on Lake Michigan and Superior a few times each summer. I have found a 21ft starcraft mariner for sale and was wondering if this is going to be too big for fishing inland lakes of 200 acres or so.
Thanks for your help.
Matt

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is a 21ft starcraft mariner too big?

NO!!!!! BUY IT RIGHT AWAY - seriously - you will never regret the extra 3' - you will always have one of these:D

Is it green - on CL?

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

A 200 acr lake would accommodate a 21 footer, if there weren't a lot of boats playing on it. A 16 footer would probably be a bit small for the Great Lakes, but I bet you see some on them.

matrob

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. I had thought about 16ft, but I have 3 boys and wouldn't want them at risk or crawling over each other, so I started looking at 18ft. This boat came up, and I just didn't know if I could launch it by myself and if it would go in at smaller landings. It has more power than I anticipated at 150hp and is a little older -1978. But it seems reasonable and if it runs well, compression tests out, I would consider it if I would be able to handle it. Clark, it's white with the center console in tact.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A 21' aluminum Starcraft isn't really like a 21' glass boat. Much easier to handle and shallower draft. I wouldn't think it would limit you on the small lakes and you'll be glad to have it out on the big ones. I say go for it.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Great boat for lakes large and small, very shallow draft compared to a glass rig as mentioned.

I've had my 16' SS on Lake Huron and it handled very well in swells.

You will be glad you have the bigger boat if you take it on Lake Superior.:)

DarrinT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I launch my 21' Islander by myself regularly - I just tie it with long lines to the slip or in a beach launch to the trailer.

The trick is good knots

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

21' is too big to enjoy on a 200 acre lake. Get the 21' or you'll be sorry in Gichigami (the BIG lake). You CAN use it on small lakes if you have to.

I propose two boats. I know this is crazy, but one maybe two guys on here have pulled it off. A 12-14 footer for inland and the big girl for Superior and Huron.

One Starcraft is good, two Starcrafts are gooder.

matrob

Cadet

I have a 12 ft. Jon boat, but it's awful crowded with three boys under 10. Two more boats would be a tough sell at this point. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller, as he promised someone else a chance to look at it. No tilt and trim on a 150 on this boat-doesn't sound very appealing.

64osby

Admiral

matrob - I would highly recommend getting it if you are able.

I just got a 21' Mariner about 3 weeks ago. I love it and so does the family. Mine has a 90hp and a 7.5 kicker. I have power tilt and can get into the shallows very easy.

With a 150 I would think you would need to find a PTT unit for it, or a kicker. You may think it is big for a for a 200 acre lake, but with 3 boys you will really enjoy the space, and it has a capacity rating for 9, so when they want to bring friends for skiing, tubing, fishing your boat will be able to handle it. It will also handle the big lakes when you want it to.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Power TnT can be added.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

POWER T/T is fairly easy to install if motor is drilled for the change. Don't even have to remove the motor so that makes it easy. Block it just enough to take the weight off and lash it in place. Then remove the right mount side and then the rest comes off easy bolt on the new T/T and you are all ready. after you install the hydro,c pump and wireing. if I can do it anyone can do it. If you do you have to be sure the motor will not move. I did a install on a 115 Evenrude two years ago.

matrob

Cadet

I have an appointment tomorrow morning to look at the brute. Owner claims less than 100 hrs. on the motor and has owned it since new. I plan on at least a compression check and hopefully a ride. Includes what he calls "chinsey downriggers" For a few trips a year, I'm sure they'd be fine. Any last minute concerns I should check while there?
Here's the link:
http://northernwi.craigslist.org/boa/2491982345.html
Thanks for all of the help.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd take it in a heartbeat!
Good luck with her!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I am betting you'll find a nice clean, well maintained rig when you see her. I am also betting you are going to beat me to the water even though I have been working on my rigs for what seems like a decade.:D

(if you snatch it up)

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It looks really clean from here, but you really can't tell such things from those tiny pictures. Check the floors and transom wood for rot very closely. Look at the spot where the floor wood meets the transom wood. Don't be afraid to peel up the flooring a little in the corners to look for rot. For a 33 year old boat, I'd be very surprised if you don't need to replace the wood. But if it's rotten don't let that stop you either - you can do the work yourself and it's a great bargaining chip when talking price. If you get to actually drive it on the water, that should tell you everything else you need to know. Pay attention to sticky or stiff steering and/or shifting, cables that have sat for a long time may need to be replaced.

The other advice I can give you is bring a stack of $100 bills with you. No better way to bring someone down on the price than to wave $100 bills under their nose. Don't forget - in this economy, it's a buyers market. That makes it really easy to walk away if you feel you should.

If you buy it, you can make some of your money back immediately by selling me that sweet bow rail. I'll have my wife pick it up from you - she's just up the road in Eagle River this weekend.

matrob

Cadet

You guys have sure helped me out here. About the bow rail, it has that certain appeal, so I reckon I'll keep it if I buy. If I change my mind, you'll be the first to know.

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I personally think the symmetry of the bowrail and center console are beautiful on that boat and wouldn't change it. Just some nice interior. On top of the new decking and stringers you may have to put in... but for that kind of money for that kind of boat, it would take some pretty strong negative factors to walk away. Paparoof's restore thread is great and his idea of fresh $100s is even better. Back in my great-grandfather's days I heard it was a stack of quarters dropped from hand to hand when horse trading. He had a packing plant in Lubbock about 80 years ago and bought the lots and started the family fishing house in Rockport, TX in 1941.

matrob

Cadet

Boat is sold...

to me. I looked her over good. A few spots where paint is missing, but not a dent. All the way home I watched the sun off the sides in the rear view mirror looking for one.
I'll post pictures tonight. The owner didn't want to take it on the water because it wasn't registered. He gave me a week to run it through the paces and will take it back if it is not what he says it is. I'll risk running into a warden with the title in hand and take it for a spin.

Compression checked out, engine started and ran good on the muffs. Floor will last a few years if it needs to.
Thanks again for the advice. I'll report back soon.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Excellent!!!:D

He gave me a week to run it through the paces and will take it back if it is not what he says it is.

Now that is a quality guy right there ^^^^^. Sounds like you had a great day!