Is a 2010 Tohatsu 90 TLDI the same as a Mercury of any type ?

w2much

Lieutenant
I am not familiar with the Tohatsu TLDI technology nor the above mentioned motor. I have heard of the Mercury Optimax and the EFI but again am not familiar with them. Then there is the BRP Etec another fuel injected two stroke. I have read a few articles on these engines but not comparisons in technology. I will look into them further as time allows. I know Tohatsu manufactures some of Mercury’s smaller motors and am curious about the 90 TLDI from Tohatsu. Are parts and technology shared or are they separate beast altogether ?

matt167

Captain
Many of the 4 strokes are Tohat's but none of the 2 strokes that I am aware of

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Both brands have their own TLDI Low Pressure Direct Injection Technology Tohatsu fabricates 2 strokes 2.5 to 30 HP motors for Merc sold on countries worldwide that has not banned 2 strokes motors along same 4 strokes ones. Tohatsu has a joint venture with Merc at their Komegawa Japan Factory.

Happy Boating

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Pretty sure Tohatsu licenses Optimax technology and calls it TLDI. So there might be some crossover on parts.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Optimax and TLDI work on same principle but no parts except injectors may interchange...Both licensed off Orbital