Is a 13' Boston Whaler good for a family of 4?

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all -- looking for our first power boat after canoeing. I'm considering a truly pristine 1988 13' whaler with a 40hp oil injected Mercury that barely looks used. One owner and garage kept.

We are 2 adults and 2 little kids. We are on the west coast and looking for an all around boat for the ocean, big rivers and big lakes where weather can get rough. Need it to get to interested spots, beach it for picnics and hikes, etc., not cruising.

I can't afford a 15' whaler (really expensive around here). Will we regret the 13'? It looks a little tight for 4. Any families of 4 use this boat successfully?

Thanks!

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Is a 13' Boston Whaler good for a family of 4?

yes, I don't think you'll want the 13.

We are in the same boat, no pun intended, and looked at a few 13s. It's really too small.

I looked for about a year for something kind of inexpensive and we ended up with the 15' Henry O McKee pictured above. I'd look at a few of the similar constructed 15'-16' models- e.g. McKee, Scout, etc.

ebry710

Ensign

I don't know, a 13' fits two adult without a problem and little dudes don't take much room.

Something to think about, a whaler usually maintains it value. Your kids will get bigger and the boat definitely will need to be upgraded, but if your deal was good, you normally can sell it for what you paid for it.

My thought is that a whaler is safe, stable and unsinkable. It is much, much bigger then a paddle boat and I had my wife and kids (years ago) out on that and we all had fun. If you don't mine selling it in a couple of years (kids will want to ski one day), buy it and then save for another boat (maybe if your lucky an Outrage). In the mean time have fun.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

It's a pretty small boat for 4 people. You will not have any room to bring anything with you. Plus, if it gets choppy, your in for a wet, rough ride. That said, I've had a 13 footer for as long as I can remember. Just not for 4 people.

canuckjgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for your input! I may take the advice of buying it and then selling it for once the kids are bigger. I'd like a bigger boat but finances won't allow it right now.

mthieme

Captain

In a big pond, that's a really little fish.
I had been looking for one for that past few years. Lots of 'em around...just not for sale! I settled on a 14' McKee Craft (avatar). I figured my grandson (10 y.o.) could grow into it.

ebry710

Ensign

It's a pretty small boat for 4 people. You will not have any room to bring anything with you. Plus, if it gets choppy, your in for a wet, rough ride. That said, I've had a 13 footer for as long as I can remember. Just not for 4 people.

Little guys sit on laps and mom's usually hate choppy water (most moms not all).

I guess the question is, is a mom, a dad and little kids the same as four adults/teens. If you ask me if a canoe can hold 4 people, I'd say no. But if you ask if I have ever taken my wife and two kids in a canoe I'll say yes. It was so much fun. It seems to keep the kids from getting to crazy and they can put their hand in the water. If they do something to crazy you can reach them.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 15' Henry O McKee (avatar) is built better than any 13' whaler we looked at and it cost less than any either. There are other good quality 15'-16' boat brands out there, you might have to look a little.

Atleast take them all for a ride in a 13' before you decide, I doubt you'd be asking.

ebry710

Ensign

I hope you guy don't mined my having a little of a whaler bias in a whaler section. I guess when you put your trust in a manufacture like boston whaler you have a right to have product loyalty. The 13' whaler has be a cornerstone of the whaler reputation. There might be boats that have reason to claim to be better, but the bar is so high it becomes bragging rights.

If we were talking about a 16' boat I'd go with the Montauk, Nauset or Katama. My boat is just 18', I use it for fishing, family, hanging and skiing. I can tweek it any way I want and kids can spill soda and fish guts in it and it still great. Oh by the way, each time I am on the ramp or at the sport shop people love to comment on how they love Boston Whalers. Especially if there from Florida or the upper East Coast.

I must say though, your boats look nice. I cannot and will not compare your boats against mine, because at the end of the day.......did you use it and did you have fun.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

My 15' Henry O McKee (avatar) is built better than any 13' whaler we looked at and it cost less than any either.

talk to me in 48 years and we'll see about that claim......;)

mthieme

Captain

Yup, quite a few 40 y.o. whalers around these parts.
I have a '73 McKee that I don't expect to make it to 40.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

13' imo is too small for a family of 4 given where the OP intends to go. We looked at the 13' whalers. The OP needs a min of 15-16' whaler or take a ride in the 13' with everyone and start looking to other brands.

Our Mckee is 20 yo and I'd put it up against and 20 yo whalers. Hull rock solid and dry as a bone too. Imo, the DC layout was better for family outings. It is foam fillled pressure bonded same as the whalers were. I'm not saying whalers aren't good, I had a whaler in the past, but there are other 15' boats that are built as good as 13' whalers and don't cost anymore. Mine was in the $2k range.

ebry710

Ensign

13' imo is too small for a family of 4 given where the OP intends to go. We looked at the 13' whalers. The OP needs a min of 15-16' whaler or take a ride in the 13' with everyone and start looking to other brands.

Our Mckee is 20 yo and I'd put it up against and 20 yo whalers. Hull rock solid and dry as a bone too. Imo, the DC layout was better for family outings. It is foam fillled pressure bonded same as the whalers were. I'm not saying whalers aren't good, I had a whaler in the past, but there are other 15' boats that are built as good as 13' whalers and don't cost anymore. Mine was in the $2k range.

Again, I won't pick on another boat manufacture. I will say I prefer a central console for fishing, the deck space and the wood appointment of the Outrage.

I can (and am) add equipment on it and set it up as I like. Currently it is a fishing boat, this summer I will complete the tubing/skiing upgrades. The whaler is all that it is advertise. The San Francisco State University 16' Whaler I used in the 70's handle conditions in the SF Bay and Pacific Ocean like boats bigger than it. The deck space of that boat was ideal for research.

Thanks for your input! I may take the advice of buying it and then selling it for once the kids are bigger. I'd like a bigger boat but finances won't allow it right now.

As canuck is aware, the 13' whaler can be sold when his kids get bigger. At that time he will have the experience to decide if a whaler is the answer. To me, my kids will have to commit me before my whaler is sold again.