Is 50 hp enough?

JJOUTLAW

Recruit
Hello all, I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions. Currently have a 1986 Crestliner 16 ft alluminum deep v with a 20 hp Johnson tiller. Thinking of upgrading to a 50 hp tiller which is the maximum for the boat. The boat weighs in at 470 lbs before you ad in the 5 chairs, plywood, etc. It is about 77 inches wide if this matters at all. Would this motor be enough to pull kids on tubes, wakeboards, and the like? If not would a 60 hp be safe to put on this boat? Any help would be appreciated.

floatfan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is 50 hp enough?

The 50HP will definitely be enough to pull the kids on a tube. Tube speeds don't have to be excessive, and since they float, it doesn't take much power to get them gliding across the water. Not sure about a wakeboard. I'm sure it can be done, but you you'd need a tower to raise the pull point. An experienced skiier could get up...but I'd think you won't have the umph to get out of the hole for inexperienced skiiers.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

50 hp is marginal for lightweight skiers. wakeboarding does not require high torque starts like watersking because you ride the board up like a airplane wing. Waerski tips start with the tips up and you plow the water to a plane. If you plan on a lot of skiing especially slolom you will need a larger boat. Insted of looking for a larger motor, put the money tword a boat at least 18 ft over 150hp. you probably can find a used boat for the same price as a motor. Retrival of skiers with your current boat will be difficult. Inboard ski boats usiually have large engines which will be necessary if you have skiers ovre 200 lbs. who slolom.

Ithica DB

Seaman

I was pulling at a learn to ski day with a 16' skiff with a 25 hp it pulled pretty well.
I did get discouraged but pulled my dauther who can ski and did great. Once you get the hole shot 10hp keeps them going.

climbabout

Cadet

I used to ski long island sound back in the 70's with a 16ft larsen fiberglass boat and a 50hp 2cyl johnson, no problem getting up on 2 skis.
Tim

Samvq1

Seaman

I think 50 HP should pull a kid on a tube just fine. I pulled a tube with no problem on a 14ft bayliner capri with a 50hp OB. I also pulled a skier on combo skis with no problem. Slalom skiing was tricky. Deepwater starts were almost impossible with more than one adult in the boat. As far as putting a 60hp on a boat rated for 50 hp, the cost of the engine and fines the coast Guard would levy if stopped could have bought a new boat.

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The horsepower should be ok unless your trying to pull a very heavy inexperienced skier. My sisters and I spent our teenage years skiing behind a 15' wooden runabout with 40 hp Evinrude. What concerns me is the tiller, I may be wrong but tiller steering especially with a 50 hp would be too unstable for safe skiing.

JJOUTLAW

Recruit

Thanks for all of the good advice. I may just hold off a bit and look for a bigger boat at some point.

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a quick follow up. From this tread I see that it is easier to pull tubes and wake boards than it is to do skis or slalom skis.

I am thinking a knee-board would be similar to the wake board, right? Same idea - more surface area - easy to plane.

jh

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Kneeboard. Agree on easier planing.

Samvq1

Seaman

Most kneeboards float and don't plow through the water like a ski or wakeboard. They are probably one of the easiest towables to pull.

southkogs

Staff member

I actually learned to ski behind a late 50's 14' runabout with an Evinrude 35hp Lark. My brother, dad and I could each get up (two skis - couldn't start slalom) with a little struggling. We all weighed in around 170/180 at the time. It was a little slushy, but it was what we had. We could drop a ski and slalom, but in a hard turn you could actually pull the motor off course. Bummer in terms of skiing ... but a sudden challenge of wills when I was skiing and dad was driving :D.

I used to like to kneeboard between 20 - 25 mph, so if you can load out and pull a skier at that speed the kneeboard will work fine. We skied in that same 20 - 25 mph range, but I liked it a lot better a few years later when dad got a newer boat. We were able to ski more around 30 - 35 mph and I liked that better on the skis. Still had him drop it back in the 20's on the kneeboard.