Irish Folks--Please Help!!!

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
For several years now I have been using (and protecting) a stew recipe that a friend gave me.<br />He said he got it from his Irish grandmother.It contains lamb,potatoes,turnips,green beans,onion and some seasonings.<br /><br />I have always considered it to be authentic and would like some Irish opinions about it.<br /><br />Thank you very much in advance.

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Irish Folks--Please Help!!!

My Grandmom used to make Lamb Stew all the time just like that. It's great comfort food and good on a cold day.<br /><br />There are many variations of Irish Stew, here's one I found that sounds closest to your ingredients. I would at least double this recipe. You coud also just continue cooking this in a dutch oven stove top rather than use a crock pot. Another variation is to substitute Guiness Beer, white wine, or beef broth instead of water. Hope this helps Bart. :) <br /><br />Irish Lamb Stew<br /><br />INGREDIENTS:<br /><br /> * 1 1/2 pounds boneless, lean lamb stew meat, cut in 1 in. cubes<br /> * 1 tsp. salt<br /> * 1/2 tsp. pepper<br /> * 1/4 cup all purpose flour<br /> * 2 tbsp. vegetable oil<br /> * 1 lg. (1 cup) onion, sliced thin<br /> * 2 cups water<br /> * 1 cup baby carrots<br /> * 2 cups diced rutabaga or turnips<br /> * 1 cup frozen green beans, thawed<br /><br />PREPARATION:<br />Sprinkle lamb with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Coat with flour. Heat oil in a 2 to 3 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown lamb a few pieces at a time in the hot oil. Remove to Crock Pot with slotted spoon.<br /><br />Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until lightly browned. Stir in the water, scraping up browned bits on bottom of pot. Transfer onion mixture to the Crock Pot; add carrots and rutabaga. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, adding peas during the last 30 to 45 minutes.<br />Serves 4.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br /><br />Stews used to be a poor mans dish. It allowed a little meat to go a long way and was a very convenient manner of cooking using the minimum amount of pots.<br /><br />Being a poor mans dish it stands to reason then that your stew consisited of what you had available so i'm sure that substitution for vegetables was common. No beans then carrots etc. Yours looks as good as any I have seen.<br /><br />Mrs. Ladyfish. Is it possible to have Irish Stew without potato :confused: The Irish are famed for their potato consumption. ;)

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Andrew Leigh:<br /> Hi,..<br /> ... substitution for vegetables was common.<br /><br />Mrs. Ladyfish. Is it possible to have Irish Stew without potato :confused: The Irish are famed for their potato consumption. ;)
---<br />
Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> <br /><br />Irish Lamb Stew<br /><br />INGREDIENTS: ....<br /> ....<br /> ....<br /> * 2 cups diced rutabaga or turnips<br /> ....<br /> ....<br />
there's your substitution ingredient for potatoes .. gives it a good change of pace too ;)

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another variation is to substitute Guiness Beer ... <br />
It's NOT beer! It's stout. A world of difference. As anyone used to the weak beers of Bud and Miller etc will rapidly discern the moment they see the deep black Guiness, never mind tasting it.<br /><br />
* 1 1/2 pounds boneless, lean lamb stew meat, cut in 1 in. cubes<br />* 1 tsp. salt<br />* 1/2 tsp. pepper<br />* 1/4 cup all purpose flour<br />* 2 tbsp. vegetable oil<br />* 1 lg. (1 cup) onion, sliced thin<br />* 2 cups water<br />* 1 cup baby carrots<br />* 2 cups diced rutabaga or turnips<br />* 1 cup frozen green beans, thawed<br /><br />
My grandmother, who was half Irish and who knew how to get the best value out of food and who wasted nothing, would have used that recipe. Or she would have added or removed potatoes, peas, Lima beans, navy beans, kidney beans, haricot beans, gravy beef, shin beef, bladebone beef, mutton neck (you wanna fatty gamey taste, you eat mutton neck, and if you don't gag you get a prize), etc etc etc.<br /><br />Put anything you want in it. If you get the proportions right it tastes fine. If you don't, it tastes much the same.<br /><br />My grandmother used to make a light and delicious lamb dish in a white sauce which I don't have the recipe for and despite numerous experiments have never been able to reproduce. The elements are a white roux with parsley and seasoning and some lamb. Your guess is as good as mine after that.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

As Andrew stated, Irish stew was thrown-together with what was available at any given time. Even if the cook had a recipe written down, the stew she made on Sunday could be totally different than the next time she made stew.<br />My mom seldom used lamb, because lamb was overpriced, hard to find, and "the kids didn't like it".<br />Mostly, it was made with roast beef brisket,slow cooked the day before.<br />When I make "Irish stew", I make it like mom made it. Nothing is on paper. It's just not needed.

Laddies

Banned

Tinkerer, does that make beer and donuts a Irish breakfast---Bob :confused: ;) :D

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by laddiesservice:<br /> Tinkerer, does that make beer and donuts a Irish breakfast---Bob :confused: ;) :D
Who knows?<br /><br />Even the Irish don't understand themselves.<br /><br />True Irishmen drink anthing anywhere anytime. The others are just choosy about where they drink.<br /><br />The last Irishman I saw with a donut thought it was a clever stand for empty bottles to be put in, upside down.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

We're not big into donuts over here. We like our spuds. A stew isn't a stew without them! Beef stew would be more popular than lamb. You forgot carrots and celery.<br /><br />PS: what the heck is rutabaga?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Tinkerer:<br />
Originally posted by laddiesservice:<br /> Tinkerer, does that make beer and donuts a Irish breakfast---Bob :confused: ;) :D
Who knows?<br /><br />Even the Irish don't understand themselves.<br /><br />True Irishmen drink anthing anywhere anytime. The others are just choosy about where they drink.<br /><br />The last Irishman I saw with a donut thought it was a clever stand for empty bottles to be put in, upside down.
I understand all I need to.

Laddies

Banned

I guess it must be the Breackfast of Champions, the Bob :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Rudderman:<br /> ....<br />...<br /><br />PS: what the heck is rutabaga?
a poor excuse for a potato :D :p <br />j/k they are good food!..belong to the turnip family.<br /><br />
rutabaga8.jpg
rutabaga.jpg

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Just do as the Irish would do. Drink beer and don't worry about it. When you are drunk it all tastes the same anyhow. <br /><br />Gotta give thanks to the McKinleys for some of my ancestry, they came over and all had daughters so the name was lost.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

I must be an Irishman because that's how I cook everything except when I bake. No two dishes are EVER prepared the same. I love to experiment when I cook so I vary the ingredients on purpose. Baking is an exception simply because the pie, cake, tarts, whatever...may not come out right if you fool around too much.<br /><br />Anyhoo, this talk about stew is making me drool. I think I'll go rummage through the fridge and see what today's concoction will be! :D

Stratosfied

Ensign

I think that I must be ALOT of Irish, as my middle name is Fitzgerald.. Somebody pass me another brew!!, and whatever that is your eating! :D

LadyFish

Admiral

I've had the same stew with potatoes and even cabbage once. I've also had it with peas instead of green beans. As Andrew Leigh said..its really made with anything you have on hand at the time. :)

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx for all the help folks.<br /><br />I make about four gallons around St.Patrick's Day and everyone says it is GREAT.Almost everybody.<br /><br />I was just thinking back to when I got the recipe.<br />As the catering chef at a nearby Legion Club the March meeting of The Christian Women's After Five Club had Irish Stew for their menu.So I made Irish Stew.They hated it and IMMEDIATELY changed March to Beef Stew where it remained the rest of my time there.Probably still is.