IO Power Steering

mwkelton

Cadet
I have a 94 Volvo Penta with the 5.0L Ford engine. There is a leak somewhere in the power steering lines where I have to add a bottle of fluid everytime I go out. I plan to troubleshoot it, but in the meantime I'd like to take off the power steering belt and go without. I can physically move the lower unit when the engine is off, so steering without power should be fine. Does anyone know if steering manually will harm the steering system in any way?

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer
Re: IO Power Steering

Originally posted by FLboy:<br /> I plan to troubleshoot it, but in the meantime I'd like to take off the power steering belt and go without.
Are you serious??? This is a boat, its the only thing between you and death if things go wrong, fix the leak!!

mwkelton

Cadet

So, you are saying that death can result in operating my boat without power steering??? What would happen if I lost the power steering belt? Death??? How come I can rotate the steering wheel and move the lower unit with the engine off??? Reality check, please.<br /><br />Anybody out there that can answer the question? Can a boat with a power steering system be used without the power steering pump operating and not risk damaging the power steering system (or my life)?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

with the belt off you wont damage anything ,but on the other hand at planing or cruising speed you wont be able to steer either.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well, Here's some more reality check I guess.<br /><br />It's possible that the Volvo system is similar to the OMC Cobra. As are all of them.<br /><br />According to the OMC service manual:<br /><br />"OPERATION WITHOUT PRESSURE SUPPLY<br /><br />Any manual movement of the steering cable is transmitted to the actuator valve spool which moves approximately 0.060in (1.5mm) against it's stop then transmits full manual effort to the steering arm.<br /><br />The fluid ahead of the piston is forced out of the cylinder through the actuator valve back to the reservoir. Additional fluid is drawn out of the reservoir to the opposite side of the piston. More steering effort is required due to the lack of power assist and the movement of fluid through the system when the pump is not operating."<br /><br /><br />I'd be willing to bet that if I removed the power steering belt from my OMC that death wouldn't result.<br /><br />I also be willing to bet that I would be able to steer the thing through the entire rpm/speed range. It would just take "more effort".<br /><br />Please post your findings here!<br /><br /><br />Cheers, <br /><br />Rick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It won't hurt anything to run without the belt. It will be called "Armstrong" steering, but you won't damage the system.<br />Actually, when the Volvo PS system is hooked up, to bleed it you fill the reservoir and turn the steering back and forth a few times to bleed it. This is done WITHOUT the engine running.