Investing

aspeck

Staff member
Re: Investing

BC, been investing for a long time. The thing to remember is the greatest factor in savings is time! My recommendation, for what it is worth, but it has worked for me and for others, is to start savings NOW. Even if it is only a little, systematically put some away.<br /><br />Several have mentioned real estate, which is an option. However, with the rise in inflation, and the tightening of interest rates, many real estate markets will not be as attractive as they have been over the last 10 years. These markets were attractive, in part, because the Stock Market had lost face. People saw the "quick bucks" that could be had in techs and the bidding went wild! When it all came to a screeching halt, those that got in at the last minute, and lost their shirt, were afraid of the market an moved to real estate, CD's, etc.<br /><br />Back the original question, what to invest in, and how. That depends on how much risk you are willing to assume. I have always recommended (and I am not a financial planner) that people have enough for at least 2 months of in liquid assets (check book, money market account, etc). Something that will not have any penalty for withdrawal in case of emergency.<br /><br />Next, I feel you should have at least 6 months of cash in an easy to get to fund (mutual fund, T-Bill, Muni fund, etc.). Something that you can get out within 2 months with no penalty, and is relatively safe.<br /><br />Once you have this safety net of 8 months of living expenses safely stashed away (enough for mortgage, car payment, bills, insurances, food, maintenance on house and car, gas, hair cuts, etc), then you are ready for the more risky adventures of playing the real estate or stock markets. Make sure you do your research well, and I would suggest if going with the stock market, which I would recommend (I have both stocks and real estate), you begin using a full coverage broker. Yes, your commissions will be more, but if he/she is good, you will learn so much more. You will learn not just what stocks the big boys are picking, but why. You will begin to understand cash flow analysis and profit margin. And you will be able to weed through the hype and begin picking solid stocks for the long term investment.<br /><br />All the while, do not stop the systematic investment.<br /><br />If you save $100 per month, at 8% interest, for 30 years, that $36,000 investment will be worth about $150,000. All things stay the same, and you invest another $100 per month for another 10 years, that $48,000 will become about $350,000! Time is the magic of investing.<br /><br />The rule of 72 (72/interest rate or rate of return) lets us know how many years it will take for our money to double. ($50 invested at 8% will double in 9 years and be worth $100). So if you are adding to it regularly it will mushroom!<br /><br />If you start saving $5 per week for you kid at 5% compounded weekly, by the end of 1 year, that child will have $267 and $3,374 in just 10 years.<br /><br />Hope that gives you some things to think about!

salty87

Commander

there are lots of factors to take into consideration before even thinking about which products you want to invest in. none of them are for everybody and nobody else's situation is the same as yours.<br /><br />learning more is what you need to do first. and, you need to get your finances in order too. no point in buying a 6% bond when you're paying the credit card company 12%.<br /><br />next you'll want to consider how much time you have until you want to retire. stocks won't be for you if you're going to retire in less than 10 years.<br /><br />my thoughts on mutual funds....they are a double-edged sword. you get 'professional' management from the fund managers so they better be good but you also pay a price (fees). and, they get their fees before you get anything...even if they lose some of your money. another common argument is the diversification (there could be hundreds of stocks in a mutual fund). true diversification is good but a few great picks can be overshadowed by many dogs. mutual fund managers buy dogs too. if its a large fund with lots of different stocks, there are greater chances of more dogs than winners being picked. one last thought on these...if you're investing in a 401k then you're probably already in some mutual funds.<br /><br />spend some time on any of the big brokerage's websites. they usually have all sorts of info on getting started.<br /><br />lastly, free advice is generally worth what it cost ya.<br /><br />good luck

Ron G

Commander

Jason B,listen to dave ramsey he has a cool website that will show you calclatiions,and like he says yourincome is your biggest way of developing weath,hes a firm believer in babysteps 1000,emergency fund first,then paying off your debts smallest to the biggest one wiht the house last,What kind of money would you have if you were debit free?think about it that house payment and carpayment into mutal funds by the time you retire youd be worth millions,im a trying all this now hope to be debit free in 2 to 3 years with everthing except the house,good luck im no good with money,and it all scares the crap out of me,but i dont want to be a door greeter at wal-mart at 70 just to live.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got another 30 yrs or so before I retire. Salty, you bring up a good point about credit cards. That's one reason I'm researching ways to invest my money. Other than, our home mortgage, we have no other debts to pay off. Our lone credit card get paid off completely each month to avoid interest.<br /><br />I am and will be doing a lot of research on this before I do anything. A friend recommended her financial advisor, who helped get her back on her feet and grow her portfolio. I might contact her when I'm ready.<br /><br />Real Estate is very intriguing, but that's more than I want to take on right now. I've often thought about it, but it's going to take a lot more planning and education on top of learning the basics of investing that I'm trying to learn right now. <br /><br />I'm not really that concerned about getting advice from forums or getting free advice. I started this thread to get my brain churning and thinking about people's differents ideas and opinions. I think a lot of you have good ideas, but don't worry, I'm using any of it as my financial bible. This just gives me different directions to look into while I'm learning.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oops, typo<br /><br />EDIT: I'm "NOT" using any of it as my financial bible. :)

JasonB

Lieutenant

Ron G, I haven't made a payment, except the house, in over 7 years. That includes cars and credit cards. Until we moved last year to a larger house, my home was paid for, I was 28, my wife 26 when we wrote the last payment. Payed that sucker off in just over 5 years. No kids until two years ago and two incomes. Now we have a amall house payment since we moved back closer to family and upgraded houses. Mom is at home with the 2yo and the house is our only payment. No I don'y make a ton, but with no payments, it's not bad.<br /><br />My point is, Dave's stuff works, if you apply it. We have been on the envelope system on/off for years. If we would stick to it better, it would work even better....

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

BassCat -<br /><br />Debt free is the way to be!<br /><br />You mentioned that you still have a mortgage. IMHO you should not invest in anything - instead you should invest in your mortgage. If your bank is charging 5%, then paying down the loan is like earning 5%. And it's guaranted. The riskiest part is you. (kiwi Phil said this in his post as well)<br /><br />After the mortgage is paid off you will then NEED to invest. Basically saving money is not a good idea unless you can beat the rate of inflation. You will need some saving's in your "emergency fund" but past that you need to find something that beats inflation. If you figure inflation at 3% then a Bank CD at 2.5% is losing purchasing power.<br /><br />Good luck.

Ron G

Commander

Thats awsome jasonB,Thats my goal>after this wedding were hitting it with gazzel intensity :D

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got it. I understand the principle in becoming completely debt free, including my mortgage before investing in anything else. We're on a 5 yr ARM at 4.87%. Quite possibly we'll be selling our condo within 6 months and moving into a house.<br /><br />Is there any reason not buy down my mortgage? I thought I read somewhere awhile back that it's not good to put all your money into your house. Not sure why. Maybe they just meant that I need to make sure I also have money elsewhere, in savings for emergency use, etc...

aspeck

Staff member

No reason at all not to buy down your mortgage. I made my last payment at the ripe old age of 22. I borrowed money through school loan, and also to buy a boat. Paid them both off early. Would have been better off to keep the loan payments for the school loan because my investments were bringing in about 12% at the time and the loan was at 7%, but the bank sold the loan to another bank, who sold it to an investment company, who sold it ... I couldn't keep up with the hassles of changes.<br /><br />My wife and I have made it our practice to live debt free. Use Credit cards for the bonus awards, but pay them off each month so there is never interest. It is amazing how much further you money can go when it works for you instead of for the bank or mortgage company. We have a new house, in a nice development, that never saw a mortgage company.<br /><br />However, it takes time and discipline to get there. Make that a goal and work to achieve it. It may take time, depending on your situation, but it is well worth it.<br /><br />I have personally worked with several couples, helping them set up a budget they could live with an would eventually achieve the goal of living debt free and beginning to save money. Every one that stuck with the program is happy and doing very well for themselves.

salty87

Commander

Originally posted by BassCat73:<br /> <br />Is there any reason not buy down my mortgage?
speaking purely from a financial perspective (since this is a learning environment).... if you can get a higher rate of return someplace else you should. if you're borrowing money at 6% and making 12% return on your investments then you're coming out ahead. BUT, that's assuming you're investing the same amount that you're borrowing. that's rarely the case.<br /><br />from a security standpoint, i can't imagine a better feeling than having no mort payment. i'm envious of you guys.<br /><br />the house is very illiquid, that might be why you're thinking you shouldn't have all your funds tied up there. you're right, the emergency fund is still very important. you never want to have to sell an asset to cover an expense.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some people think that not buying down the loan is a good idea. They point out that if something happens then you will have the bank's lawyers on your side cause they want to keep you as a customer.<br /><br />But when you look at mortgage contracts with all the clauses, it's written so that the Bank can't loose - the lawyers did their job for the bank and NOT you. IMHO some people thought wrong.<br /><br />Another reason people point out to not pay it down is that you get money back on your taxes. While it is true, you don't get "ALL" your money back or even "ALL" the interest. Your just spending alot of money at the bank to get just a little back from uncle sam. You should look at the money back from uncle sam as a approx 1% reduction on you interest rate and that's it.<br /><br />If you have extra money at the end of each month I would look into getting out of an ARM loan. Interest rates will probably rise and I myself would rather have a stable monthy payment rather wondering... Although if you have only 5 years left... Well it's a gamble either way.<br /><br />My 2 cents.<br /><br />Again - Good luck

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

To make the house equity liquid you can get a home equity line of credit. It puts the house on the line but you get the house interest rate and it's seperate from your mortgage. So you can take the equity out of the house without re-mortgaging(SP) it. Usually these line of credit cost nothing until you use them, And you don't have to spread the payments across 30 years.<br /><br />I laughed at my friend who should have talked to me. He re-mortgaged his place, took out a bunch of money and bought things including a used car. I pointed out that now he's starting over with the payments (30 years again) and no matter how well he takes care of that car it will never last 30 years - but the payments will....<br /><br />- Brian

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Basscat, for what it's worth, I make my living giving financial advice. Find a good advisor by asking friends and family for a recomendation. You can "DIY" but it is a lot of work to be good at it. <br /><br />Have a cash reserve, be well insured, save as much as you can, diverisfy and be aggressive (as much as you can and still sleep at night) <br /><br /><br />Is it just me or are people talking about RE the same way they talked about tech stocks 5 years ago?