Intex Excursion 5

Hey guys,

This is fun, I want to more info on inflatables.

Here's the story, I'll try to make it short.

I was given an Intex Excursion 5, as a gift because I got camping alot, and camp by the lake. This is great fun and exercise for me, as it's comes with two paddle, no motor :mad:

I don't know anything about this boat, can I put like a 5hp motor on this?

Any and all help is welcome.

Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Intex Excursion 5

i think they are rated for a 3hp. mine is. do you have motor mount, i see them on ebay.

No I don't have the motor mount, I seen it for $39 online.

Now all I need is a cheap little 3 HP motor, I only use this like 3 times for the summer, so I'm not looking to spend alot. Any ideas where I can look or get one cheap?

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

E-Bay, Craigslist, and local papers are the places I look.

I had a friend who said years ago in NY he watched the Obituaries for deaths and tried to get the apartments this way. Years latter after returning to the south, he did the same thing, but looking for old fishing boats.

First he would read the Obituaries, and see if fishing was listed as one of their favorite pastimes, then the phone book for the address, and then a “drive by” to see if there was a nice old fishing rig in the yard. More often than not, he would come home with some nice old aluminum V-Hull he pick up for a fair price.

I never really approved of this but ...

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think 2 hp motors are more common. You are probably more likely to find one of those...at least from what I have seen. I don't know if an electric trolling motor like a Minn Kota or MotorGuide would suit you since you mention you only use it 3 times per year. I also don't know if it would work well for your boat. Electric is an idea though.

kwmir

Cadet

I also have an Intex 5 which I bought a few months ago. I also do not have any motor so have to rely on muscle power for now. I am planning on getting an electric trolling motor (probably a Minnkota 30). The motor mount is available on Amazon.com for $29.00 + S&H. I love my boat though I wish it was shaped more like a zodiac. Its still a lot of fun. Good luck.

KM

Here it is guys...

I didn't had a electric pump at the time, so I did double man power, pump and paddle. :)
DSC00315.jpg

It was already pumped up, van was full of other things, so I just drop it on top of the wife civic :) she didn't like it, but enjoy the lake. Drive was only 2 mins on the campground. I learn my lesson to camp by waterfront from now on :)
DSC00318.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

.. very nice lakeside.

a suggestion. look into what's commonly referred to as a protective boot. it slips over the raft like a sock and takes a lot of the scrapes, bumps, fishhooks, etc along the way. your manufacturer may sell them. it can add years to your raft.

cheers

I keep hearing about that, boot I am going to look into it now.

Thanks

EDIT:
Ok, I google "protective boot cover" and a few other things and nothing comes up, you know what the cover is actually called?