Internet Crooks

Fly Rod

Commander
:) Those of you that think that you are safe doing your banking and other transactions over the internet and think you are on a secured site could be owing lots of money!!!<br /><br />One couple found out the hard way!!! They were fleeced out of 90,000 Bucks and are responsible to pay it back!!! They didn't have 90,000 in the bank but some hacker penertated their firewall and took them for a ride!!!<br /><br />Beware the internet is not safe to do bussiness!!! i keep reminding the wife of that ,but she does not listen!!! Hopefully she will not be burnt!!! ;) :cool:

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: Internet Crooks

:) If I can I will!!! It was on Fox News!!! Couldn't write the fox web site fast enough!!! ;) :cool:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Sorry it wasn't Fox!!! My son flick the station!!!<br />Here it is on NBC!!!<br /><br />www.nbc.com/NBC/NBC_news "on line bank fraud" <br />Click on Brian Williams picture<br />If that don't work try nbc news and then click on brian williams!!! ;) :cool:

Homerr

Commander

The internet will never be 100% safe. Never!<br /><br />I do banking on the net, but only with a completely separate bank account. I never put my main account on line anywhere.<br /><br />I only put enough money in my 'interenet' bank account to complete the transaction.<br />If a breech ever occurred, they wouldn't get much (if any)<br /><br />Never use a debit card to make a purchase over the net either.<br />Most Bank's debit cards do not provide the same protection against fraud than a regular credit card.<br /><br />H.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I read in the report that it was some kind of virus that they got infected with that allowed this to happen.<br />I agree that it will never be 100% safe, but you have to do what you can to help protect yourself. IMO.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I do a lot of my finances online, but I have also clarified the policies of my financial services as far as reimbursement of funds if I get ripped off. I would go nuts if I worried about it. If you really think about it, there is no way to be safe. Your checks can be stolen from your house/car/mailbox, your debit or atm pin can be stolen with a cell camera phone, you can be jacked at the atm, you just can't win no matter what, so you may as well live by whatever convienient means works for you....

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the links.... MSNBC link<br /><br />If you read the post above it has some good detail.<br />I am interested in the idea of having a "smart card" and reader at your pc in order to do business.<br />Doesn't seem like it would take much to make that a reality.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If someone wants to steal my negative account balances, they are welcome to them. :)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Our legal system in action again. Slay the Princess, Save the Dragon. Don't hurt the hackers FEELINGS :mad: :mad:

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Roscoe!!! i guess it don't take ya long to balance out!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />I never get mine right!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Happy holidays!!! :cool: :cool:

KaGee

Admiral

Amazing Story. I feel sorry for them.<br /><br />Another amazing thought... I think someone brought thispoint up before in here... some folks won't do any business on line, yet flip their cards out all the time at restraunts... how do you know where that card is going? What's to stop fraud there?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Online is just one of many ways a theif can steal your money.<br /><br />As for the resurant thing, they recently busted some people for making a magnetic copy of cards at a resurant.<br /><br />It can happen anywhere, and the case cited in the news was an extreme case. Sounds like the guy turned over his information to the wrong people.<br /><br />Ken

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

What a shame.... There will always be scams on the internet.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Here we go again...blaming everyone but the idiot. I saw the story. They had no clue as to using superior Firewall protection. There computer was open and subject to being hacked. It was THERE fault, not the bank. Life is risky, comes with no gaurantees, and proof that stupidity IS painful.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Stumpys:<br /> What a shame.... There will always be scams on the internet.
Stumpy you can go a step further.... there will always be scams... period!

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

For any of you that have not heard of Kim Komando, and her daily computer tips, I feel sorry for you. I have learned more about computers from this women (free) in the last few years than everyone I know put together. She just about cyber beats the hell out of you for not updating and keeping your puter secure. And I would throw out ANY puter that is not running XP with service pack 2 installed, (I won't argue with the appleheads), as they can be hacked too simple. Sigh up web page