Internet connection mystery? UPDATE #1

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
Re: Internet connection mystery? UPDATE #1

Boom, if it won't let you rename the folder, go ahead and reinstall 6, I am asumming that you have it, and reboot.
Nice idea 1386 about the new user! Give that a try boom as well.

dolluper

Captain

This might be your problem or not. 2days ago I recieved a bunch of updates,some applied to IE.Maybe manually try for updates or see what dropped in if you had it set for auto updates.The updates were recent could be your problem,I guess you have rebooted the computer,or is it left on all the time

i386

Captain

I don't think you can just rename like suggested. Since MS decided to integrate IE into the OS instead of bundling WITH the os it has to be there for Windows to work.

This was a move that was good for MS but not necessarily good for the consumer.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

i386 said:
I don't think you can just rename like suggested. Since MS decided to integrate IE into the OS instead of bundling WITH the os it has to be there for Windows to work.

It's a ReadOnly folder. If you remove that, it will allow you rename it. I just did in my box. But I am not sure if that will cause any other problems, but if it did, you could just rename back to the original name.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

1. go to your run program, type in chkdsk and see if it catches a corrupt file.
2.Do a system restore, see if that clean's up the reg
3. Start over. (reformat)
4. A 440 is not enough to even catch me, look for a 600 cfm.......your gonna need it..... to stay out of my wake ....
th_sterb038.gif

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Plainsman said:
i386 said:

It's a ReadOnly folder. If you remove that, it will allow you rename it. I just did in my box. But I am not sure if that will cause any other problems, but if it did, you could just rename back to the original name.

I'm not following you TG, regarding removing the ROF and then renaming what?

I386, that is what I originally thought. That IE was heavily integrated into the OS. I was even surprised that you could remove it in the add/remove function. It obviously does not remove it all.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

LIft click start, it will open, on the lower right hand corner you will see, Help and Support, Search and RUN hit RUN enter chkdsk and let her rip.

i386

Captain

Boomyal said:
I386, that is what I originally thought. That IE was heavily integrated into the OS. I was even surprised that you could remove it in the add/remove function. It obviously does not remove it all.

Yea... "Remove" is a little misleading. Anytime you see IE in Add/Remove Programs, what it actually does is revert IE to the previous version. Success of that is dependant on the old files still being on the system somewhere (among other things).

The reason I suggesting trying a different user is because there may be a problem with the current user's profile. Ya see, most Windows programs allow some degree of personalization for each user that logs in. Each user's profile is in "C:\Documents and Settings\username". If you create a new user, Windows starts a new profile for them. Generally, the first time a user opens a program for the first time, that program sets up itself in that user's profile. It is possible that something's bad in Mrs. Boomyal's profile. Simply logging in as another user and trying IE is all you have to do to test that. If that ain't it, you move on. It's useful to troubleshoot other problems too.