internal cleaning of outdrive

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 7, 2013
Messages
156
232amftc 1987 2.3l cobra

I drained my lower unit of oil and plan on doing a pressure test tomorrow,(very nasty oil/water came out)
I am wondering if there is a way to (douche) clean out the drive. maybe flush new oil through the drive?
thanks for all the help

IMG_20131106_111754_130.jpg
 

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
18,196
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

The 87 used plastic washers on the drain/fill plugs.They seem to leak after the first use.
So replace with new when you change.
The 91+ used a softer rubber on the dip stick washer.Try to get that kind.
I use Mercruiser seals on the drain/fill plugs.
To flush just fill it with oil(from the side) and start the motor.Then drain after a few minutes.
Make sure you turn the prop while doing the pressure test.
 

bruceb58

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
30,824
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

The 91+ used a softer rubber on the dip stick washer.Try to get that kind.
91 has a completely different dipstick so you need to stick with the original style washer.
 

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 7, 2013
Messages
156
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

Thanks guys, I put the pressure on her this morning and waited a few hours then put it in gear and rotated the input shaft a few turns.
I will hopefully return to my shop tomorrow morning to find that she held pressure all night. Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.
I guess if it holds pressure then my water problem must have been the drain plugs........? or just failure to maintain from the previous owner
 

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
49,038
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

Don't expect it to be holding pressure that long. 15-20 minutes is plenty.
 

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 7, 2013
Messages
156
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

Don't expect it to be holding pressure that long. 15-20 minutes is plenty.

I guess from everything I have read on the sticky info and youtube how to videos it says longer than 20 mins. (one guy checked his over night) I would assume if it is sealed tight it shouldn't leak at all there fore holding pressure as long as there is pressure there
 

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
49,038
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

Basically, it either holds pressure or it doesn't. A shop isn't going to do more than 15-20 minutes.
 

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
18,196
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

Sorry about the wrong info.The part is 0912830 this is the soft rubber seal.
 

icyveins

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 7, 2013
Messages
156
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

Don't expect it to be holding pressure that long. 15-20 minutes is plenty.

it held pressure for about 17 hours, I stopped the pressure test at that point
 

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
May 24, 2011
Messages
49,038
Re: internal cleaning of outdrive

You're good. The next time you drain the oil, pour it into a clear container. If it has water, the oil/water separation will be obvious.
 
Top