Intermittent Starting Problems on 1996 Four Winns 190 with 5.0 Penta Engine

LakeRaystown

Recruit
I bought this boat last summer. The alternator was shredding belts and not re-charging battery. Ultimately replaced teh alternator and it seems that problem was fixed.

This season, there's a new issue. Two weekends ago, I started up the boat with no problem. We went a few miles and I shut it down for a swim. It started again, but did crank just a little bit. A few miles down the lake later, I shut down and tried to start again and there was nothing. No cranking, no clicking - just dead in the water. The electrical stuff worked intermittently (blower, bilge pump, radio). When the key was on, the guages leaped and jumped up and down a few times, at random.

After the tow, I had a mechanic look it over. He found a corroded ground wire btw. battery and engine block. He fixed it and started it up several times, with no problems.

My co-owner took it out the next weekend and experienced the exact same pattern as me (several starts with no problem, followed by nothing).

The same mechanic started up the boat a few days later, with no problem. He ran it up and down the lake, shut it off and turned it on multiple times - and no problem at all.

Additional facts: the boat sat in a barn for about 3 years before we bought it; and last season, there were a few occasions where I had to jiggle the throttle to get it to start.

I've asked the mechanic to check the throttle safety switch. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Intermittent Starting Problems on 1996 Four Winns 190 with 5.0 Penta Engine

No cranking, no clicking - just dead in the water. The electrical stuff worked intermittently (blower, bilge pump, radio). When the key was on, the guages leaped and jumped up and down a few times, at random.

Sure sounds like loose or corroded battery connections to me. Clean and tight is what you want in cables. Do not use wingnuts, use regular nuts and a wrench. Don't forget, each cable has 2 ends.

LakeRaystown

Recruit
Thanks very much - I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks very much - I appreciate the suggestions.