Intermittent Start - Starflite 75

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well----70 PSI is low.-----But do a simple test.-----Remove sparkplugs 1 at a time.----Put a few drops of fuel in each cylinder.----Crank it over and report what happens.-----I When I worked on these on a regular basis they were easy to start.----Have a 63 model in the storage shed.

wdirnbeck

Seaman Apprentice
Well----70 PSI is low.-----But do a simple test.-----Remove sparkplugs 1 at a time.----Put a few drops of fuel in each cylinder.----Crank it over and report what happens.-----I When I worked on these on a regular basis they were easy to start.----Have a 63 model in the storage shed.
I started the engine with some gas in the cylinders and it started and sounded healthy, I shut it off because I forgot to turn my water on but then couldn't get it to start again after I got the water going a minute or two later. I tried more gas in the cylinders and it would pop right when it started then that's it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I started the engine with some gas in the cylinders and it started and sounded healthy, I shut it off because I forgot to turn my water on but then couldn't get it to start again after I got the water going a minute or two later. I tried more gas in the cylinders and it would pop right when it started then that's it.
You can't use Muffs on that engine, so running it in a Tank is the only way. There was a device marketed that clamped on to the Exhaust Snout, where the Water Intake was located, but they are few and far between these days.

Fuel Level in the Carb might be low, making it hard to start. That engine would have an Automatic Hot Water Choke. Have you flipped it to Manual when trying to start it?

wdirnbeck

Seaman Apprentice
You can't use Muffs on that engine, so running it in a Tank is the only way. There was a device marketed that clamped on to the Exhaust Snout, where the Water Intake was located, but they are few and far between these days.

Fuel Level in the Carb might be low, making it hard to start. That engine would have an Automatic Hot Water Choke. Have you flipped it to Manual when trying to start it?
Yeah, I know the hot water choke doesn’t work well sometimes and obviously won’t without water through it, I do manually close it when trying to start it.