Intermediate bearing free spinning

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Volvo AQ240A / 280

Well the haul out has begun. I found water in the u-joint bellows, which I expected due to a broken clamp. The upper gear housing is off and with the u-joint assembly came the broken seal ring. The u-joints show no rust or play, I am having them checked regardless and possibly replaced tomorrow.

With the seal ring out I was able to see the intermediate bearing. No signs of rust, however, I am able to spin it around the shaft freely. I was told this should not spin at all, is this correct?

There is also a slight amount of play in the shaft. Hard to determine but about 1/64". I was also told that there should be no play at all, Is this correct?

Finally, I do not have the cash to pull the engine and replace both bearing on the drive shaft so I am going to clean out the old grease and re-pack with new, add the new seal ring (with the spring channel facing the stern drive).
Replace the bellows and deal with the vibration.

What are your opinions on this?

Thanks,

Carden

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Intermediate bearing free spinning

With the seal ring out I was able to see the intermediate bearing. No signs of rust, however, I am able to spin it around the shaft freely. I was told this should not spin at all, is this correct?

There is also a slight amount of play in the shaft. Hard to determine but about 1/64". I was also told that there should be no play at all, Is this correct?

Yeah, that's all correct.

Finally, I do not have the cash to pull the engine and replace both bearing on the drive shaft so I am going to clean out the old grease and re-pack with new, add the new seal ring (with the spring channel facing the stern drive).
Replace the bellows and deal with the vibration.

What are your opinions on this?

You will most likely end up destroying the bell housing.
With a Ford intermediate housing (Only used for 2 years) I would suggest you fix it or be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for a new bellhousing that doesn't exist.

If you think it's expensive to fix now. Wait till you try what you are thinking about. Then you will understand expensive.

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well that is a not the best news ever.
What do you mean here:

"With a Ford intermediate housing (Only used for 2 years)" ?

Isn't one of the jobs of the intermediate bearing to support the drive shaft, and removing the water and sealing her up, could I not buy some time to prepare for this expense?

Will the damage to the bell housing continue to get worse if the boat engine does not run?

What would be the next step to cause the bell housing to be destroyed?

Thanks

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don,

I may have been mistaken. I think it is just the ball bearings I am moving around the bearing housing. I am using a long screwdriver to get to the bearings and spinning them around the bearing housing, I dont think the bearing housing is moving freely around the shaft. I have not seen one of these bearings out of a boat before so Im not sure how they operate. Is this normal, am I checking it the right way?

If anyone is familiar with this please comment. I have read a number of posts on this subject but cant find the answer in them.

Thanks,

Carden

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just checked, you have the 2 piece bellhousing (aka intermediate housing). so the bearing housing is available. However, it's $1100.

There are 2 ball bearings in your housing. The bearings are pressed onto the shaft and also pressed into the intermediate housing and held in place with snap rings.
if you have any side to side or up and down movement in the shaft (ANY AT ALL), and the bearing races are still tight on the shaft and in the housing, then the bearings are bad. IF they come apart and lock up they usually spin the race inside the housing and destroys the housing.
Here is a picture of how the bearings are in the housing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Intermediate housing.jpg
    Intermediate housing.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1

captmello

Captain

I did this job last year. It is labor intesive and challenging for shadetree type like myself. Especially when you haven't work on an outdrive before.

The pulling of the motor is really not as difficult as it may seem, unless your engine is buried way down in the builge or something.

When you pull the motor, you pull it out with the flywheel cover still bolted in place. Once the motor is out you pull the flywheel cover off the motor and work on it on your bench. Your going to find it much easier to work on that way.

If the bearings are bad,you can grease them all you want, not going to help.:(

Good luck to you.