Interior Paint Question

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Doing some work on my 15.5 ft. 1982 Bayrunner that will eventually result in some repainting of the interior plywood. The factory paint for both the aluminum and plywood on the interior is a flat grey with white or yellow flecks (assume it had to have been sprayed). I'd like to continue with the flat grey since it fits the character and utilitarian use of the boat (don't need the flecks). However, the only marine paints I can find (West Marine anyways) are glossy.

One suggestion I received was to use good quality house primer/paint. However, because of the prep labor involved, I want to get the most durability and longest life possible.

Any suggestions for primer/paint? This would be for the plywood portions (seats, mainly) only since the aluminum finish is still in good shape and will not be modified.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: Interior Paint Question

Sorry, unable to post pictures on this site for some reason (probably related to my lack of knowledge). It keeps asking me for a URL and won't let me select pictures from my computer.

Rustoleum? I thought that was for rusty metal. I want to paint MDO plywood with a flat grey finish.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Sorry, unable to post pictures on this site for some reason (probably related to my lack of knowledge). It keeps asking me for a URL and won't let me select pictures from my computer.

Go to photobucket.com, open a free account. Upload pictures to photobucket and then you can post them easily to the forum. I do believe they have a tutorial on their site. Works very well!

Bondo

Staff member

Rustoleum? I thought that was for rusty metal. I want to paint MDO plywood with a flat grey finish.

Ayuh,... Rustoleum sticks to about ANYTHING you put it on, 'n I'm pretty sure they sell flat finishes...

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

OK, maybe I've figured this image posting process out (????). Hopefully, here is a shot of the interior of my Bayrunner showing the flat grey aluminum hull and the location of the aft thwart, that I will be covering with new MDO plywood (to replace the dry-rotted orignial). It's the MDO plywood that I want to cover with a flat grey paint approximately matching the base color of the inside of the hull.

DCP_0516.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Im sure there is a good reason..but Why is there OSB on board your ship ?

YD ;) .

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Im sure there is a good reason..but Why is there OSB on board your ship ?

YD ;) .

What? OSB is not a good material for boat renovations?:)

Actually, I set it on top of the floatation foam so I could sit on it, and not damage it, while doing some work on the inside of the transom.