*Interior Done Before/After Pics* New Boat... The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

*Interior Done Before/After Pics* New Boat... The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

• Unload that thing and get what you can out of it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nice boat for the price & well worth cleaning up.

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • Not bad for the price but better off as parts than trying to fix it up.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Call the guy and beg him for your money back!

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Just put enough into it to get it functional and enjoy it as is.

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Other... Please explain!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Came across a 91 23' Galaxy with a 302 V8 and Volvo Penta outdrive. I did some bargaining and got it for $1,100 out the door. Think I did real good on the price but this is going to be a project. The guy who owned was originally from Michigan and used the boat for several years while living there. He was the second owner and bought it in I believe 1997. My memory is fuzzy but I believe he moved to Kansas around 2000 and never used it since. He said it just sat in a field up untill now when he decided to sell it. So it doesnt take much to figure out what happens to a boat after sitting for 9 years in a field. I believe it was covered for a extent of that perior but any cover is now long gone. The good news is that the floor is solid not a single soft spot. He claims that Galaxy put fiber glass over their floors. I have no idea if this is true. The engine fires right up. Not sure how that is possible after sitting that long but we got it started in less than a minute. The out drive seems to be in great condition on the outside but have had no time to look at it any further. All the gauges, trim tilt, bilge pump, lights, horn etc. work. It even comes with a offshore radio and fish finder. The outside of the boat looks to be mint. Not perfect but he showed me the front half after waxing and it really does look good. And last the cuddy is actually in good shape and will just need some heavy cleaning. So that is the good news. The bad news is the interior is shot. It is "functional" but cracked, torn and rotted. We both agreed that the impeller will likely need replaced, the old radio is probably junk & it is going to need a new winch strap. That is what I know so far. Probably more that needs done. So thats the good & the bad... The ugly is as mentioned above aka the nasty interior. What do you guys think. Should I spend a grand or so to have the interior done, part the boat out or just fix it up to the point that it is functional. It was raining and 40 degrees so no lake test. I was only able to fire it up and shift it from forward to reverse.

The Good...

Exterior cleans up very nicely. A small section was waxed and looks GREAT. No scrapes, gouges or any sort of dock rash etc. Al guages work, tilt/trim work, cabin is in good shape & just needs cleaned & engine seems solid and starts right up.

97d28bd0.jpg

cceb6e0a.jpg

cc7bbcb1.jpg

b04e8064.jpg

The bad...

Will more than likely need a new impeller, winch strap and the prop is a bit chewed up. Also no way to put it in the water so I was only able to run it on the trailer.

24af6a3a.jpg

The ugly...

As you can see the interior is nasty. Sat in a field for roughly 9 years. Floor etc. seems solid but most of the seating will need to be junked.

b8b305d0.jpg

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Boat... The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

A local dealer where I live used to sell Galaxy boats, so there are quite a few in my area. I have a 1985, it nor any of the others I have ever seen have fiberglass floors.

At any rate, I would probably change the impellor and do a complete service on that boat and see if she is in good mechanical shape and then tackle reupholstering it myself to save a few bucks.

Who makes that engine?

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled some carpet up in the back and I can confirm that the areas I looked at are indeed fiberglass. This was the area on both sides of the engine. I am going to pull up some more carpet tomorrow and look it over. I am pretty certain that it is a 302 which would leave me to believe it is a Ford? Shows you how much I know about it. I have a stack of records, manuals etc. He kept records for everything it seems. Also how is the rep of Galaxy? Seems like it would have been a nice boat back in 91. Are the considered lower end, middle line or higher end?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That looks like a chevy engine. either a 305 or 350. Ford's distributers are in the front of the engine.Also the newer chevy's use 4 center bolts to hold the valve cover down

spudshaft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definetely a Chevy. You can tell by the distributor. Also look at the power steering res. GM all the way. Also, cool boat

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, I was asking who's 302 that was based on the distributor being in the rear.

IMO, Galaxy boats were at best mid-range boats. Mine has been bullet-proof and has held up nicely due to being babied, but you can see where corners were cut on some things if you pick them apart.

Attachments

• boat 018.jpg
    boat 018.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

I lied... It is a 305 Chevy. Thought the guy said it was a 302 but he probably didn't know any more than I do. I may gut it ths winter and build some seats up. Did it in a couple other boats and found it some what enjoyable. The floor is solid I stomped all over it with no mushy spots. With that said should I be concerned with the transom/stringers? Any way to check them without causing more damage?

RICHARD5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You haven't found any real damage, you only suspect something because it's been sittiting, right?

I've bought cars, trucks, and boats that had been sitting in the tall grass and they turned out to be great deals and required little maintenance. Just because it's been sitting doesn't mean the end all.

I say tune up the old girl, put in a new interior and go have fun.

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Richard... You are correct. I have found no signs of rot other than in the interior. I plan on making it a winter project and hope to have her in the water as soon as weather permits.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

This whole boat flipping thing just may work out for you if you keep getting deals like that :) Polish her up, tune her up, and redo the interior and sell her in the spring for a profit. You've got to figure out a way to make the interior as nice as possible for the least amount of money. My be time to learn to do upholstery!

BWR1953

Admiral

If it were me, I'd just do a thorough cleaning and use it as is at least until spring when you can find out more about its overall condition.

If you could get the interior done VERY cheaply, I'd say go ahead. Otherwise, I'd gut the interior to the fiberglass and maybe put in some cheap used seats from craigslist and just enjoy! :D

Buzzwindrip

Seaman Apprentice

I would just say plus one to keeping it. After hearing about all the mechanical issues a co-worker ran into with her $1000 steal, your boat sounds like a real steal.
What is underneath the padded cockpit sides? Glass? Maybe you could just pull that off if there was a gelcoat surface under there.

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I lied... It is a 305 Chevy. Thought the guy said it was a 302 but he probably didn't know any more than I do. I may gut it ths winter and build some seats up. Did it in a couple other boats and found it some what enjoyable. The floor is solid I stomped all over it with no mushy spots. With that said should I be concerned with the transom/stringers? Any way to check them without causing more damage?

Here are the pics I wanted to see.:D
I havent owned a Galaxy but, all of the boats that I have seen that had glass floors also had glass over the stringers. Do a test on the transom to make sure its not rotten. I bet it will be fine.
I would fix it up a little bit, use it for a while and then sell it for a little bit of profit. Congrats.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Hull looks good, floors and transom sound, engine runs...

Replace the interior, do it yourself and save $$, and have fun...

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Think I am going to do as much of the interior as I feel comfortable doing. The whole sink, cooler & stove setup is fiberglass and can easily be cleaned up. I am handy enough that I can replace those cousins easy. The back to back is probably shot but I can find those online new or used for cheap. As for the rear I am thinking about pulling it all out and just building a bench all the way across that can be pulled out for access. Probably do three separate cushions one above the engine and then another on each side. Those should be easy. My big concern is the side panels. I'm not sure if I feel comfortable trying to build these up. I would of just left them alone but the previous owner already started taring them out. They could be "saved" but would probably be pretty damn ugly.

Thinking about building a bench all the way across the rear above the engine. It would be 32"d x 67"w and about 24" high. Then building a new panel in the rear above the engine.

fc5db674.jpg

4f606ad1.jpg

The back to back is probably shot but the base is still very solid. I will probably scrounge the net for a nice new/used seat for cheap. This one is 20" high but all the ones i have found with bases are only about half that. What do you think salvage the base or use a new shorter one?

b7cf6cc5.jpg

The captains seat is shot but the base is all glass. I am gonna pull it all out and powerwash it. Other than some grime and funk build up it should clean up nicely. Probably gonna just make two rectangle cushions, clean it up and leave it at that. Was also thinking about doing back to backs here as well but salvaging whats here would probably be easier/cheaper.

0ec9e9ee.jpg

Pics are off my camera phone and pretty poor but this is the floor. It is hard to tell but it is glass under the floor in the areas I pulled up. Probably the only thing that saved the boat.

1d0cd348.jpg

Top left is the floor... Bottom right is my fat knee and carpet :)

2bc069e0.jpg

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: *New Pics Posted* New Boat... The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Wow... Great post. Thanks for the link. May have to give this a try. To simplify things I may do two 5' panels on each side instead of one 10'. Might even decide to replace the back to back and captains set with two pre made pedestals. What do you guys think?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You got yourself an awsome deal, seriously!!!!!!!

I advise against making the bench in the back. See, you may like it, but if you decide to sell it, others may not. Especially people who fish and want a big all purpose boat. You cannot fish well out of a boat with a bench.

Aside from that, the interior is not even usable in my opinion, you can;t even use it for a season to try the boat out. You will need to refurbish it over the winter to have any chance at all in selling it or keeping it.

If you cannot decide if the boat is good, have a shop give it a once over to see if the machanicals are all good, if they are, no question restore the interior.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How about doing a bech seat with a sun deck over the motor?

Attachments

• boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1

thedukeryan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Druff I think you have the winning idea. A sun deck would look great and be enjoyable. I think it would look better as well. I was thinking a bench over the motor would be ok but it would be roughly 26" high and 30" deep. The sun deck idea would let me do a 36" deck with plenty of room for a nice smaller bench below it. Also thinking about pulling the back to back and stove thingy and doing two pedistals kinda like yours. I really like that look. Another benefit of the sun deck is the it would allow me to do a 7' side panel instead of trying to make 10' panels. Lastly what's there not to enjoy about a deck for the gf to tan on and a nice cuddy to go to if things get a little hot :)