Interesting Year in College Football

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Interesting that the top 6 teams are all undefeated so far. Also, I find it interesting that #1 and #2 are from the same conference, but that will change. They play each other in the SEC Championship game next Saturday (12/5). That is very near a National Championship game in its own right.

THE SEC RULES!!!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Interesting Year in College Football

my boy's team, made him proud, for his last regular season game, in the swamp.

TilliamWe

Banned

This year only reinforces the need for a playoff system.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Interesting that the top 6 teams are all undefeated so far. Also, I find it interesting that #1 and #2 are from the same conference, but that will change. They play each other in the SEC Championship game next Saturday (12/5). That is very near a National Championship game in its own right.

THE SEC RULES!!!

That will be the national championship game in my book. There has been talk the 6th ranked undefeated Boise State team may not make a BCS bowl game because of the format.. You're guaranteed a BCS bowl game if you win your conference even if you have 2 - 3 losses.... Never liked the BCS.....

TilliamWe

Banned

Georgia Tech's loss helps, and I just have a feeling that Cincinnati will lose to Pitt, but Boise State could indeed be cheated out, and that's not right.
But playing 12 or 13 regular season games isn't right either. But that's what happens. Oh well.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I have a feeling that even with a playoff system, the complaints would just move down to "why didn't my team make the playoffs ???" instead of the bowl complaints. The bottom line is usually about money, as in butts-in-the-seat, travelling fan base money. The big, established schools can put 20,000+ fans in the seats in a bowl game on the road and have a larger TV audience. The little schools would have a hard time doing that.

TilliamWe

Banned

I have a feeling that even with a playoff system, the complaints would just move down to "why didn't my team make the playoffs ???" instead of the bowl complaints. The bottom line is usually about money, as in butts-in-the-seat, travelling fan base money...

True, but can a team that was 9th, with 2 losses really think it had a chance to beat the number 1 team? Sure, but it's not a realistic chance. The Football Championship Subdivision (formerly D 1-AA) has had a playoff system for YEARS, and the complaints about who doesn't get in are non existant.
Also true, it's about money and who brings the fans. And that is why it won't change or get any better. But the basketball tourney sure brings in hoards of cash to the cities hosting the early round and regional games. Why think the football teams wouldn't do the same? And think of the TV money?!!!!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Division I football is about the only major sport that I can think of that doesn't have a playoff system. Division II does. Heck, even NASCAR and the NHRA have one...

TilliamWe

Banned

Division I football is about the only major sport that I can think of that doesn't have a playoff system. Division II does...
And Division III, and they have a "bowl" game as their championship, The Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl. It's on TV each year and everything! It's really great.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

There has been talk the 6th ranked undefeated Boise State team may not make a BCS bowl game because of the format..

And they probably shouldn't. The only team they've beat that's in the top 25 is Oregon. Yea, they're 12-0, but against the likes of Miami(OH), Fresno State, Tulsa, San Jose State, etc. Gimme a break. It's not about the format.

TilliamWe

Banned

And they probably shouldn't. The only team they've beat that's in the top 25 is Oregon. Yea, they're 12-0, but against the likes of Miami(OH), Fresno State, Tulsa, San Jose State, etc. Gimme a break. It's not about the format.

Well, PAC 10 fans claim they are the best conference and that Oregon is Awesome. And some of those other teams you mention might surprise you.
This is exactly why I want to see them in a BCS game. Just like Hawaii a few years ago, exposed as pretenders. Just like Boise State against Okalahoma, shown as a real team!
Florida's schedule included Charleston Southern, Troy, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and FIU, so how is that better? Do you even know where FIU IS?

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Florida's schedule included Charleston Southern, Troy, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and FIU, so how is that better?

touch?

You make a point.

But Florida's schedule also included some notable teams. Boise State's didn't.

man, how did I get myself in the position of defending Florida

TilliamWe

Banned

And I am not even trying to smug or arguementative. :)
I am just saying, everyone has cupcakes, even in their own conference, so that can't be avoided, completely. A playoff would end all the crying, except for the teams that lose. But then they would only have themselves to blame.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

If I remember right, a few years back, USC was ranked #2, LSU #3 and LSU played in the championship game. Now that was messed up... I have never liked the BCS format.... I see the Harris and coaches polls agree on the top 6 with one having Texas and Alabama switched. Rankings are supposed to take in account what schedule each team plays. Maybe both Florida and Boise State are ranked too high... But it is what it it is. In my opinion, if your 12-0 and ranked 6th in the nation, you should get a BCS bowl game..

Check this out:

"Under the new BCS arrangement Notre Dame will be guaranteed one of the at-large slots in a BCS bowl if it is ranked No. 8 or better in the final BCS Standings. It is also guaranteed annual payment for its participation in the BCS. In those seasons in which the Irish play in a BCS game, the school will receive $4.5 million (an amount equivalent that received by a conference that places a second team in a BCS bowl). In those seasons in which Notre Dame does not play in a BCS game, it is projected to be paid $1.3 million for its participation in the BCS arrangement."

I can't even comment on that one.....

Here's a link to the complete story about how the BCS works today and in the future:

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_explained.html

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Well, all I can say is my Southern Illinois University (Saluki's) are one of the
eight final team's in the FCS.:)

Ranked 1st in the Sport's Network Poll, 2nd in the FCS Coach's Poll,
undefeated in the Missouri Valley Conference but seeded #3.:mad:

They pummeled EIU in the 1st round 48-7.
This saturday we're on national tv.:)

TilliamWe

Banned

Well, all I can say is my Southern Illinois University (Saluki's) are one of the
eight final team's in the FCS.:)

Yep, and I can say they beat my YSU Penguins, who did not qualify for the playoffs! :(