Interesting read on someone that got the Nobel Peace Prize...

samagee

Chief Petty Officer
http://www.jimmycarterlibrary.org/documents/hostages.phtml <br /><br />It says in there that he and others supported the Shah of Iran, for a steady supply of oil. The Shah was a dictator that oppressed any political freedom. I remembered when I was younger seeing reports on the news about the hostages.<br /><br />It is interesting to see that some of this hostility in the middle east came from a militarily weak president who supported a dictator. Then it has taken strong replublican presidents to go in and clean up later on. All the while the dems are screaming that the reps are war mongers.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Interesting read on someone that got the Nobel Peace Prize...

Not that I am a detractor of conservatives or a supporter of democrats, but the US has supported plenty of dictators in the past. Saddam Hussein is just one of them and there are many others that have been supported by both Democrats and Republicans.<br /><br />I personally liked Jimmy Carter as a President, even though I was too young to really be paying attention to his policies. After reflecting on his term in office, he was a man who had strong beliefs and did what he thought was the right thing to do, not what the polls showed should happen at any given moment and changed his mind accordingly.<br /><br />Looking back, I don't know if I agree with some of the things he did while there, however he was honest and forthright. Additionally, he has done numerous things to help not only our nation, but the world since he left office. Jimmy Carter, the man himself, continually impresses me.<br /><br />However, blaming him on supporting a dictator when Republicans have done the same doesn't strengthen the conservative arguement on why Democrats shouldn't be in office. We conservatives have done the exact same thing.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Yet, they declared war on us and attacked U.S. people. Even taking them hostage and killing some of them. He didn't do anything but talk.<br /><br />I also wanted to point out a democratic president, who was interested in keeping oil claims in place at the cost of American lives. Since it is so heavy on the dems minds these days about Bush being over there for the oil and all.<br /><br />Yes we as a nation have supported dictators in the past where it suited us. I have never liked that claim of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend." It should always be remembered as "the enemy of my enemy is my pawn."

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Then it has taken strong replublican presidents to go in and clean up later on.
Thats the funniest statement I've read in a long time.. Thank you Samagee... :D <br /><br />Anywhooo.. If anything we should have given more support to the Shaw to keep the muslim wacko nut job Ayatollah Khomeini and his insane followers out! Maybe then we would'nt be in the position we're currently in, IMO... Of course hindsight is usually 20/20...<br /><br /> Also, keep in mind that the US was damn near broke from paying on Vietnam war expendatures at that time and probably could not have funded military action against iran if we wanted too... Inflation was at an all time high... Oil was in short supply and prices were going thru the roof, worldwide... Gotta have oil to move an army, right?.. <br /><br />Rember sitting in line for gas? When gas stations sold all they had, and that was it... No more... <br /><br />Yes Sir, I'd say we were darn luckey to have a Man like Carter as president at the time.. "A man who did'nt do anything but talk".. He was, and still is, very good at it... His talking got the hostages realeased and his talking kept some oil flowing our way so that this major energy consuming country could function as well as it did durring the time....

NOSLEEP

Commander

It wasn't Jimmy's talking that got the hostages<br />released. It was the fear of incoming President<br />Ronald Regan that convinced Iran to release the<br />hostages.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

ROTFLMAO!
3.gif
<br /><br />Good one NOSLEEP..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Jimmy Carter was and is a kind, honest and gentle man.<br /><br />He treats everyone else as though they were kind, honest and gentle.<br /><br />He was an unqualified disaster as our President because of that.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I get worried when someone like Carter talks to people who like to kill. I wonder what they are sneaking past the passifist. What graves have been dug, because of a person who sees everyone as good instead of what they really are.<br /><br />I see no problem with someone wanting to make the world a better place. However, some people should not be allowed to talk to war mongers on our behalf.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

You nailed it, Samagee. As i've stated before, I allways respected Carter for his honesty and morals. But what a moron when it comes to national defense and foriegn matters!<br />I remeber the lberals won in the late 7o's in Vietnam. They were echoed popular opinion back then, So far, they are not echoing popular opinion today (thank God).